How long do we give him?

Guest mozzyblue

Guest Bald Owl

We give him until he has signed his own players, and not had to proceed with the worst squad in wednesday history.

This terrible squad has been assembled by other people, Megson has inherited it and is therefore powerless to do anything about the poor standard of players he has.

Irvine came out and said that this was a brilliant squad, of championship quality, Megson has not once come out and said that, because he knows it simply is not true,

This team, is awful, and no manager will get it winning, Megson is not relegating us, the players are.

Here here, what the flip do people expect? Do they forget the last two away wins and a draw with Irvine's poo poo! If we had Alex Ferguson they still wouldn't be happy, and he couldn't do flip all with this lot, end of! By the way best defending we've seen all seaon and great goalkeeping young lad, I suppose Megson doesn't deserve praise for those signing's of the defenders either!

Here here, what the flip do people expect? Do they forget the last two away wins and a draw with Irvine's poo poo! If we had Alex Ferguson they still wouldn't be happy, and he couldn't do flip all with this lot, end of! By the way best defending we've seen all seaon and great goalkeeping young lad, I suppose Megson doesn't deserve praise for those signing's of the defenders either!

I take it you missed the first goal?

Guest wayne foster

We have to forget about this season. Hold our breath and cross our fingers we manage to stumble to the 50 point mark and safety then judge Megson next season. There is no way he should be shouldering the blame for the abject performances we are having to endure now. He hasn't got other players to bring in so has to do with the lot he has.

Guest Bald Owl

I take it you missed the first goal?

No mucca I didn't, but trying to look forward and be positive I saw something I haven't seen all season, a week ago wed have been 5 down at half time with that pressure but we were resilient that's my point.

Guest bigblue

It's not even close to the worst squad I've seen in my lifetime, never mind our history

I'd be interested to know when we've been worse. We've never finished lower, so we can't've been much worse!

Looking at the current shower I genuinely can't see how it's possible!

Guest totemowl

I'd be interested to know when we've been worse. We've never finished lower, so we can't've been much worse!

Looking at the current shower I genuinely can't see how it's possible!

We have finished lower.

Look back to the mid 70s.

But also, we have better players in this squad than we have sometimes seen over the last decade. They just aren't performing.

I'd like megson to be given time as changing managers regularly doesn't often solve anything.

But, playing devils advocate, we complained about the players attitude last season, irvine failed to save us and he was seen as a failure as we were relegated.

If we are relegated again Megson should surely be seen as the same as we were nowhere near this position when he came in.

If we stay up I believe he could do well here next season. But his short term job here was not to get us in a relegation scrap, he's not getting the players to respond at the moment.

We have finished lower.

Look back to the mid 70s.

But also, we have better players in this squad than we have sometimes seen over the last decade. They just aren't performing.

I just dont think we do, most of these players are truly awful, some of them used to be fairly good a few years ago, but they certainly aren't anymore.

And others i just dont think will ever be any good.

Perhaps this isnt the worst squad in wednesday history, i wouldnt know as im only 22 and my first game was in 1995, but this current team isnt just losing games, its dying without any trace of a fight, its playing every pass behind the man, its too slow and clumsy to ever create any meaningful attacks, its full of players who treat the ball as if its a bomb and cant wait to get rid of it, and worst of all, its gone 180 minutes without an actual shot on goal, there can't have been too much worse than that.

Edited by leea8331

Due to some little hitler deleting my other thread (you need to explain to me the reason for this as it didn't break any rules)

As you all seem to still be backing Megson even though his record is attrocious, how long do you give him??

Till he relegates us, or leave it untill after we are in the fourth division????????

This man needs t leave our club right now.....I don't even want him to wait until Monday, it has to happen tonight,

Get out of our club before you destroy it.

I would like to dedicate this to Mozzyblue, Jake Benson, Big Guns, Kivo and AB.

Guest wednesday83

We give Meggo until at least christmas. Football fans always want the managers sacked but the players get away scott free.

We have to let him build a team and then let them have a go. The fans either have to give the man a chance or stay away.

Guest totemowl

I just dont think we do, most of these players are truly awful, some of them used to be fairly good a few years ago, but they certainly aren't anymore.

And others i just dont think will ever be any good.

Perhaps this isnt the worst squad in wednesday history, i wouldnt know as im only 22 and my first game was in 1995, but this current team isnt just losing games, its dying without any trace of a fight, its playing every pass behind the man, its too slow and clumsy to ever create any meaningful attacks, its full of players who treat the ball as if its a bomb and cant wait to get rid of it, and worst of all, its gone 180 minutes without an actual shot on goal, there can't have been too much worse than that.

Your last point is spot on.

The players have enough talent - well most of them do - but not enough confidence. They can play the game, but they are fragile. We see them go out on a Saturday, look better than the opposition until they come under pressure, and then they concede and usually fall apart.

I and others have said several times that the main thing lacking from this squad is leaders, including players who can take hold of a game and change a game. We simply haven't got the players with the mental and physical presence to do that. Perhaps Osbourne comes closest.

I think this might also explain why we did so well in those first 4 games. We were better and we were set up - by the manager - to be better. But as soon as the opposition worked out how to deal with that system, we were exposed - because we didn't have the players on the pitch who could impose a style of play to stay on top. The opponents now know that so we see the same pattern match after match. That is, they know they only have to impose themselves to exploit that fragility.

The players have enough talent - well most of them do - but not enough confidence. They can play the game, but they are fragile. We see them go out on a Saturday, look better than the opposition until they come under pressure, and then they concede and usually fall apart.

Thought I'd update those statistics about how our games end up depending on who scores the opening goal (we've been involved in only two 0-0s this season) :

WEDNESDAY SCORE FIRST :

P17 W16 D0 L1 F43 A13

(the only defeat was the 3-5 reverse at Peterborough when we took the lead three times)

OPPONENTS SCORE FIRST :

P28 W3 D6 L19 F35 A61

(the wins were 4-1 at Milton Keynes, 6-2 at home to Bristol Rovers and 4-1 versus Hereford)

Obviously the first goal is always important, but I would imagine the difference between those two sets of numbers is unusually stark and does suggest the mental fragility you mentioned.

Thought I'd update those statistics about how our games end up depending on who scores the opening goal (we've been involved in only two 0-0s this season) :

WEDNESDAY SCORE FIRST :

P17 W16 D0 L1 F43 A13

(the only defeat was the 3-5 reverse at Peterborough when we took the lead three times)

OPPONENTS SCORE FIRST :

P28 W3 D6 L19 F35 A61

(the wins were 4-1 at Milton Keynes, 6-2 at home to Bristol Rovers and 4-1 versus Hereford)

Obviously the first goal is always important, but I would imagine the difference between those two sets of numbers is unusually stark and does suggest the mental fragility you mentioned.

Some good stat digging.

I think the most worrying thing here though is that we have gone behind in 28 games, thats about 18 too many imo.

We do always seem to start games in a positive frame of mind, without really threatening, but once the opposition score, we might aswell all go home, this is where we need to see more heart from the team.

Can't just keep changing managers can we?

Is lol the man?

flip knows and we won't know for another four, five months by my reckoning.

Its not like we were going swimmingly before he came, is it?

In fact this poor form on the pitch can be traced back to latter parts of Brian Laws tenure.

We really haven't been the same since, and I think ultimately the appointment of Irvine worsened the situation.

Turning Sheffield Wednesday around is akin to trying to turn around the Titanic.