clinton morrisson...

Guest Kray

Give him proper effective service and he will score - as his career track record proves.

So we need to look at the source of why he's not scoring or being effective.

It's like saying the tap is crap because there is no water coming out of it. Well, if you mend the burst pipe, the water will flow......

He's scored 10 goals in 45 games in each if the last 2 seasons, which to be frank is f*ckin rubbish.

The service might be crap but then again the service would be easier to provide if he shifted his arse now and again and made a run in to space rather than trying to have a wrestling match with the defender all the time so that he can wave his arms about and moan.

He is the only forward I've ever known who makes more effort to be near a defender that in space.

He's scored 10 goals in 45 games in each if the last 2 seasons, which to be frank is f*ckin rubbish.

The service might be crap but then again the service would be easier to provide if he shifted his arse now and again and made a run in to space rather than trying to have a wrestling match with the defender all the time so that he can wave his arms about and moan.

He is the only forward I've ever known who makes more effort to be near a defender that in space.

Wednesday fans on...

Irvine: "he isn't passionate enough, he doesn't care"

Morrison: "All he does is argue with the ref and defenders, wave his arms about and moan"

We are as consistent as JJ

Wednesday fans on...

Irvine: "he isn't passionate enough, he doesn't care"

Morrison: "All he does is argue with the ref and defenders, wave his arms about and moan"

We are as consistent as JJ

I don't give a poo poo how passionate irvine is, just that he's the only person who has seen Wednesday play this season who thinks Heffernan shouldn't start.

Morrison can wave about as much as he wants asvlong as he does what he's supposed to do....and he doesn't

Clinton seems to be immune from criticism with a large portion of Wednesday fans. The cold, hard reality is that he hasn't been that brilliant and just because he used to score hatfuls for Palace 10 years ago doesn't mean he's bound to now.

The fact that he's managed double figures in the league above for the last five seasons means that he surely isn't that bad a striker.

In a league below, do his critics seriously think he wouldn't do better under a manager who isn't a neurotic freak?

If a new manager comes in and we don't see an upturn in form from Morrison then I'll apologise but I totally disagree with those dismissing his ability.

Who's to say it is rubbish? Top scorer in both those seasons for a poor Coventry team finishing 17th and 19th in the League above us.

You might be right about his movement, but neither of us know what tactics he is being asked to follow.

He's been a decent goalscorer at a higher level than League 1 all his career - so it suggests that if we improve that and support from midfield to open up spaces for him, we might see a more effective player.

I remember him scoring the winner for Coventry 3 seasons ago at Hillsborough - and he wasn't all wrestling and arms then..... perhaps he might be slowing down, but to me, it looks more like frustration at poor tactics and lack of support from midfield.

Who's to say it is rubbish? Top scorer in both those seasons for a poor Coventry team finishing 17th and 19th in the League above us.

You might be right about his movement, but neither of us know what tactics he is being asked to follow.

He's been a decent goalscorer at a higher level than League 1 all his career - so it suggests that if we improve that and support from midfield to open up spaces for him, we might see a more effective player.

I remember him scoring the winner for Coventry 3 seasons ago at Hillsborough - and he wasn't all wrestling and arms then..... perhaps he might be slowing down, but to me, it looks more like frustration at poor tactics and lack of support from midfield.

But Daz,

A striker needs to score every time they touch the ball.

Just like Heffernan does.

That's why he is the new Voller

Didn't you realise?

Edited by Random Task

Daz, we both know stats can often be used to support the same argument both ways so I'll not get hung up on them.......from watching him play I'm not impressed and yes you are right about not knowing what tactics he's been given ( just like we don't know that beavers is being told to lump it every time he gets chance).

My point is that at the moment we aren't scoring enough with Morrison up front and heffernan looks a lot better option so to go back to the opening post, why hasn't he been "given a rest"

Ps.... Stats wise, if you ignore his very first spell at palace which was years ago, they are far from impressive

The fact is...Morrison isn't crap.

He hasn't got anything written into his contract stating he has to start. That's ridiculous.

I see Purse has gone, so some people need a scapegoat. There's only one place where the blame lies; and it isn't at the feet of Clinton Morrison.

it's true his legs have gone, but he does offer an outlet

the wrestling bit, it does seem he is losing more possession from tight situations (charltons penalty came from clinton losing possession on the edge of their box)

i've a feeling he won't be here next season

it's geting harder for him with every game

it's true his legs have gone, but he does offer an outlet

the wrestling bit, it does seem he is losing more possession from tight situations (charltons penalty came from clinton losing possession on the edge of their box)

i've a feeling he won't be here next season

it's geting harder for him with every game

biggrin.gif

Shearer mentioned something last week, can't remember who he was talking about.

But he said the minute you hit thirty, suddenly after a couple of poor games "you've lost your legs."

It's totally unfair.

In the majority of games I've attended this season, Morrison has been outstanding. He might not have scored the goals we expected, but like Daz said, that's down to the service. But his general play this season, has been above anything we've seen from any forward over the past couple of seasons.

Just a month ago, he gave an almost faultless performance against Bristol Rovers, and every single fan was full of praise for him. You don't "lose your legs" within a month.

I would imagine, the minute a new manager is appointed, hopefully one that allows freedom and individual thinking, we'll see Morrison for what he really is. A quality striker with an abundance of class.

biggrin.gif

Shearer mentioned something last week, can't remember who he was talking about.

But he said the minute you hit thirty, suddenly after a couple of poor games "you've lost your legs."

It's totally unfair.

In the majority of games I've attended this season, Morrison has been outstanding. He might not have scored the goals we expected, but like Daz said, that's down to the service. But his general play this season, has been above anything we've seen from any forward over the past couple of seasons.

Just a month ago, he gave an almost faultless performance against Bristol Rovers, and every single fan was full of praise for him. You don't "lose your legs" within a month.

I would imagine, the minute a new manager is appointed, hopefully one that allows freedom and individual thinking, we'll see Morrison for what he really is. A quality striker with an abundance of class.

don't get me wrong, i'm pro clinton, but there are parts of his game he will not get any better at, ie pace, energy levels

it took him a good half a dozen games to get anywhere near match fitness

sat on the bench he would get rusty very quickly so i suppose starting him is the only viable option, for now

don't get me wrong, i'm pro clinton, but there are parts of his game he will not get any better at, ie pace, energy levels

it took him a good half a dozen games to get anywhere near match fitness

sat on the bench he would get rusty very quickly so i suppose starting him is the only viable option, for now

Just because certain areas of his game won't improve, doesn't mean he's past it.

Pace is never something you can improve anyway. You either have pace or you haven't.

Morrison has the attributes to be a fantastic player for us this season, and next season.

It's hugely unfair to say a player's legs have gone purely becasue he's the wrong side of thirty. It's an ignorant thing to say when it clear isn't the case!

you have pace, but as you get older you get slower

fact

Well that's quite obvious.

But Morrison's strengths have never been his pace. He's never been lightening quick, but granted, the pace he did have gave him an extra dimension.

The Morrison we have, is still a class above most other strikers in this league, and we are lucky to have him. His movement, football brain and ability to bring others into play is way superior to most, and more importantly, he's a goalscorer. Gave him chances, and he'll score goals.

He isn't past it yet...he's nowhere near past it yet.

It's just a ill-informed, and easy thing to say about a player who's the wrong side of thirty.

Morrison has had the same service as Heffernan and Mellor have had, the reason he lacks the goals is that he no longer has the mobility. His job appears to be to wrestle with his marker backing in and trying to release a ball invariably without success. He moans incesantly at the refs getting up their noses and making his winning a decision far less likely.

His body language tells me he is far too tired to make the runs and no ammount of arm waving and remonstrating is going to win me over. Ultimately all he'll succeed in doing is to overstep the mark and get sent off.

Mellor and Heffernan up front with Madine on stand by.