We are now in a very stupid rumours situation

This is getting daft but I thought I'd post this as it made me laugh.

I was talking to someone who knows nowt about football. Actually he's a very dim blunt, like I said someone who knows nowt about football.

Well, apprently he was told that Irvine was going to be given the boot and Martin O'Neil had agreed to take over. This is part of MMs plan to take us to the prem in 4 years with the same manager in charge.

Now come on boys and girls lets stop being silly.

I know waste of space post but it made me laugh out loud so I thought I'd share it for a daft Friday.

UTO

Guest Distraught!

He'll have an extremely long wait - Man U will want an elite level manager - not a done-quite-well-in-the-premier type

It'll have been a long time since they had one of those. The last two have been "Done quite well at Aberdeen" Ferguson and "Done quite well at WBA" Atkinson!

It's an interesting question!

Who was the last manager that Manchester United had who was genuinely a top notch manager before getting the Manu hotseat?

3 Scottish titles

4 Scottish Cups

Scottish League Cup

Cup Winners Cup

European Super Cup

Various runners-up medals

Probably the best performance by any single manager outside the Glasgow duo

Also this vintage Man U are a totally different proposition to the Man U Fergie took over - this is recognised as being one of the best teams in the world - back then they were an also ran and a really poor relation to the Mersey duo - not to mention Forest and Villa at various times

Edited by scram

Guest Distraught!

3 Scottish titles

4 Scottish Cups

Scottish League Cup

Cup Winners Cup

European Super Cup

Various runners-up medals

Probably the best performance by any single manager outside the Glasgow duo

Also this vintage Man U are a totally different proposition to the Man U Fergie took over - this is recognised as being one of the best teams in the world - back then they were an also ran and a really poor relation to the Mersey duo - not to mention Forest and Villa at various times

Yes, maybe so and I agree with what you say about breaking the Auld Firm stranglehold but being a manager in the Scottish league somehow demotes your status from greatness. Ferguson is certainly up there now but winning things outside the Scottish leagues is necessary to become part of the upper eschelon of football management. Obviously the feeling would be if he can do such a thing at Aberdeen, he could do such a thing anywhere.

Yes, maybe so and I agree with what you say about breaking the Auld Firm stranglehold but being a manager in the Scottish league somehow demotes your status from greatness. Ferguson is certainly up there now but winning things outside the Scottish leagues is necessary to become part of the upper eschelon of football management. Obviously the feeling would be if he can do such a thing at Aberdeen, he could do such a thing anywhere.

I thionk that is true now - but back then the Scottish League was seen largely on a par with the English equivalent and the very fact that Fergie achieved with a club outwith the Ugly Sisters made it the more remarkable

I don't think Man U were as fussy then as they will be now - but even so if a manager was to dominate the Scottish Game with a club outside the Auld Firm then people would still sit up and take notice - but the league doesn't have the gravitas it did that's for sure

I just really do not see Man U going for somebody with relatively average records like MON and Moyes - i reckon they will be on the hunt for a stellar name such as Jose

Guest Distraught!

I thionk that is true now - but back then the Scottish League was seen largely on a par with the English equivalent and the very fact that Fergie achieved with a club outwith the Ugly Sisters made it the more remarkable

I don't think Man U were as fussy then as they will be now - but even so if a manager was to dominate the Scottish Game with a club outside the Auld Firm then people would still sit up and take notice - but the league doesn't have the gravitas it did that's for sure

I just really do not see Man U going for somebody with relatively average records like MON and Moyes - i reckon they will be on the hunt for a stellar name such as Jose

Yes, I don't doubt what you say. My question was an open one about who really was the last top notch manager Manu had (that is to say achieved top notch status before going there). Of course a few of them achieved managerial greatness while at Old Trafford.

Yes, I don't doubt what you say. My question was an open one about who really was the last top notch manager Manu had (that is to say achieved top notch status before going there). Of course a few of them achieved managerial greatness while at Old Trafford.

It all depends who the owners are at the time Ferguson calls it quits. A foreign owner will probably go after a big name, like you see at chelsea and city, but a man utd fan as owner may be willing to take on someone like MON.