who booed purse

Guest valley owl 2000

Fair enough, boo him when he rumbles up. But don't boo him when one of our players just passes the ball to him. It was embarrassing.

It reminded me of Richard Wood, under Laws. When Woody did the "unthinkable" and asked to be paid more money because he was very good at his job. I remember him being kept out of the starting 11 because his head wasn't in the right place, we were at home to a team I can't remember.

Anyway, an injury to one of our defenders forced us to bring Woody on - to a chorus of boos from his own fans. Pathetic.

I remember Tommy Spurr pleading with the North Stand to stop the booing.

And what happened? Wood went on to make a balls-up that cost us the game.

Moral of the story - Don't boo your own players!

What about when he lets the ball go under his foot.

Can we boo him then !!

I didn't boo either, but, there comes a point when after a large number of previous mistakes over a period of time from the experienced player in our team, the fanbase, through frustration, passion or whatever have had enough and wanted to voice their opinion.

Personally I think overall we have been too patient and now is the time to give Purse a break from the team, I am sure as a motivated professional he would relish the challenge to win back his place anyway.

Booing is counterproductive and can only make things worse, not better.

Keep hearing this, but sorry it's just not true.

As I said in one of the many OTHER threads on this topic (seriously, how many do we need), take a look at sports fans in Philadelphia. They are famous for booing their own players - they expect 100% effort and a decent performance from their highly paid stars - when they don't get it, they boo their heads off.

Have the Eagles, Phillies etc shrunk into themselves as a result? Have they testicles. Regular appearances in the Play Offs (Eagles) and World Series WINS (Phillies) imply the opposite I'm afraid.

Personally I have never booed a Wednesday player - but I don't have a problem with fans booing a player who is coasting along/ failing to control a ball/ making rash challenges that cost us.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Anyone been in a situation at work when the boss gives someone a severe bollocking in front of everyone. Can you remember how you felt even though it wasn't directed at you. Imagine also there are new and young workers that also experience the bollocking. You feel poo poo scared of making a mistake in case you get the same. Creates a wonderful working environment doesn't it?

Guest mickymagik

Anyone been in a situation at work when the boss gives someone a severe bollocking in front of everyone. Can you remember how you felt even though it wasn't directed at you. Imagine also there are new and young workers that also experience the bollocking. You feel poo poo scared of making a mistake in case you get the same. Creates a wonderful working environment doesn't it?

Can hardly be compared to a football match.

Football arouses passion and emotion and fans are not involved in the team selection, substitutions etc...

This is the only way the voice of the fans is heard, not saying it's the most constructive way to get a message across but seems to be the only way.

It depends what kind of person you are, it just galvanises me to do better and make sure that I don't get on the end of it. Purse as captain and most experianced player in the team needs to understand that when he crosses the white like 70% isn't good enough, 85% won't do, even 99% could cost us, it needs him to be 100%. Too often he is caught out by the basics and too often it costs us. I think most fans have got well and truely fed up of his absolute rubbish and the booing was a culmination effect. As others have said, I didn't boo but my head did nearly explode when I screamed at him just after he had given the penalty away and then he let the ball roll under his foot. Some of the things he does you honestly wouldn't expect of a pub player yet we are expected to put up with it and politely clap him. If booing is the only way we can get the message accross then for me it is welcome

Just not bothered...

I'd never boo a player or sarcastically Cheer and clap when he's done a good pass after the blunder

you could see just after all booing his confidence just went He couldn't pass the ball 5 yds to his full back

that said he should be dropped for sat

That just describes him every game. Ponces around clapping and giving the gee-up whilst being completely incapable of clearing the ball to a Wednesday player or making a safe 5 yard pass.

Just not bothered...

Guest captain_purse

-4 (so far) for this ..... happy clapper express en route???? chooo chooo

Booing in counter produtive. Try doing anything involving a crowd or audience whilst being booed.

Happy clapper express eh? What are you on, the little yellow special bus filled with all the rumbletards who know roger all about the division we're in, roger all about the quality of player we've got, roger all about all the poo poo that's gone off behind the scenes over the past year or so....... but know EXCACTLY how we should be doing WE SHOULD BE SMASHING EVERY TEAM BECAUSE WE ARE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY.BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH :Dark Wacko:

It's this kind of bolloxs that puts me off forums coz I know if I get dragged in I'll end up being put off football altogether. :dry:

Booing in counter produtive. Try doing anything involving a crowd or audience whilst being booed.

Happy clapper express eh? What are you on, the little yellow special bus filled with all the rumbletards who know roger all about the division we're in, roger all about the quality of player we've got, roger all about all the poo poo that's gone off behind the scenes over the past year or so....... but know EXCACTLY how we should be doing WE SHOULD BE SMASHING EVERY TEAM BECAUSE WE ARE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY.BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH :Dark Wacko:

It's this kind of bolloxs that puts me off forums coz I know if I get dragged in I'll end up being put off football altogether. :dry:

So as paying customers how are we supposed to vent our frustration? If I buy a cinema ticket and the film is poo I tell my friends not to bother, if I buy a shirt with a hole in I take it back. Week in week out I have to be worried every time our captain gets the ball because 1 in 10 times it ends up in disaster, where do I claim my money back? Or should we just tell everyone not to bother coming next week? You can't have it all ways!

Just not bothered...

Guest oliver666

Well said, witnessed this on many occasion and you are spot on. The person who was booed at (Purse) was probabaly less effected by it than the other players. The ball then becomes a hot potato and no one wants it.

i cant believe it when i hear fans boo thier own players and i

must say i thought that was disgraceful on saturday and before

people say i pay my money and entitled to voice my opinion

so am I

and my opinion is the club is better of without you

HI Darren

Guest oliver666

Let's save the boos for the useless flippingmanager!

Tell you what. You are obviously having a go at Irvine because he his responsible for picking Purse. Fair enough. How about directing your boos towards MM because he employs Irvine who picks Purse. Be brilliant this, every f**ker will be booing one another by the end of the day.

Tell you what. You are obviously having a go at Irvine because he his responsible for picking Purse. Fair enough. How about directing your boos towards MM because he employs Irvine who picks Purse. Be brilliant this, every f**ker will be booing one another by the end of the day.

I don't actually boo anyone but I would boo that useless flip before anyone else. MM is obviously just giving him a chance but surely will see what the rest of us do eventually.

Guest oliver666

I don't actually boo anyone but I would boo that useless flip before anyone else. MM is obviously just giving him a chance but surely will see what the rest of us do eventually.

You are probably right. But, booing never achieved anything, which most of us can agree on.