Boxing Day massacre

In the games you missed thread something is mentioned that baffles me every time I see it. "Coulnd't get a ticket for the BDM".

I went to the game with my new wife but I don't recall having a ticket, i thought we paid on the gate.is my memory worse than I thought? I'm a collector so I'm sure if I had a ticket I'd have kept it.

Can someone confirm whether the game was all ticket. All ticket games were rare in those days.

I know I had tickets for me and me mate in advance but I have no idea if they were selling them on the gate. It was always predicted to be a sellout. so in many ways I would doubt on the gate sales.

Anybody have any idea how many tickets the blunts had?

I reckon it must have been all ticket, reason being we did not rush to the ground for fear of not getting in, also sat in the uncovered seats in the South Stand, which we knew where we would be sitting.

I didn't have a season ticket that year.

I know I had tickets for me and me mate in advance but I have no idea if they were selling them on the gate. It was always predicted to be a sellout. so in many ways I would doubt on the gate sales.

not enough, they should all have had to watch it, dont think it was all ticket but I got mine online ha ha

I still have my ticket for the south stand (uncovered section as it was then) and match day program - keep meaning to have them framed

So you've been trying to get round to that one for 31 years?!

That sir is some top notch procrastination!

Edited by NYCOWL

i was living in northants back then and travelled up on the day and paid on the gate to get on the kop,also remember back then the capacity was 55k so it wasnt even a sell out but do recall my mates got me a ticket for the return at the sty ..

6000 but they sent 5234 back ...

My memory is shocking but I don't recall having a ticket. I wrecked my motor bike (and slightly damaged me) on my way home for xmas leave and hadn't managed to get down to the ground. I only decided to go at the last minute (well I had to give myself time to walk from Burncross so it wasn't that last minute) and I'm sure there was one turnstile on the Kop where you could pay on the day.

So you've been trying to get round to that one for 31 years?!

That sir is some top notch procrastination!

To be fair the ticket & program was in my mum and dads attic for years, then a friends attic when I moved back to the states - as I write it is in Houston having been shipped over with a load of other stuff last September whilst I was home. Bottom line - IT WILL BE FRAMED in the next couple of weeks.

Guest intercity0wl

Seem to remember seeing a TV clip saying people had queued outside for a couple of hours so there must have been some general sale. Wasn't it an 11am kick off?

In thoses days if it was a big game and ya wanted to stand behind your favourite crush barrier you got there early, that was the reason for the early queue's.

I personally cannot remember any Blunts on the kop (no Farmyard smells) and taking into account the police reports of very few arrests at this game and the era it was played in suggests there were not many on there.

If there was i bet they really enjoyed the surges that followed every goal that day, in a season when all the pigs that survived a Christmas Day roasting got trully slaughtered the day after.

HARK NOW HEAR THE WEDNESDAY SING

It was all-ticket, and I remember queuing to get tickets during a game just before....I think it was Southend. The queses stretched right up and down by the side of the South Stand, and probably meant more people outside than in. I don't remember any pigs on the kop, or any other Wednesday area, and BTW the capacity for the stadium at that time was 50,174, which was what it stayed until becoming all-seater, having been reduced from 55,000 at the start of the season. I remember that because I could never understand how such an arbitrary number could be enforced.