Alan Irvine

Not as big a failure as going down tho...

I agree.

But my argument isn't whether he is better than Laws or not. He clearly has performed better. But taking that performance over a full season and people saying we'd be mathematically safe, would still have been a poo season and a lot of people would be calling for his head.

Guest Darth Sturrock

Because they are utterly rhetorical?

The entire season would have panned out differently - maybe better, maybe worse - the variables are countless

It may be an interesting statistic but doesn't make it accurate.

I don't see this as "rhetorical". Our form as been better under AI, than it was under BL, with the same set of players. Admitedly, we have been far from brilliant, and I do question some of AI's team selections, but the standard of our players is a relevant point of fact in this discussion, as well as the manager. As the old saying goes, "You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear"

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced that AI is the right man for the job, the jury's still out for me, but I simply can't deny that our form since he as been manager, as improved somewhat. Whichever division we end up in, it's the team we need to refresh this summer, (I don't think anybody disagrees with this!!!) and then when this is done, and we have had some games with a new team and AI as manager, then we can more fairly judge the manager.

Whichever division we end up in, it's the team we need to refresh this summer, (I don't think anybody disagrees with this!!!) and then when this is done, and we have had some games with a new team and AI as manager, then we can more fairly judge the manager.

Yeah, after he has spent the money, new long term contracts etc?

We never learn to get it right first time. We shouldn't be having this hypothetical discussion.

Not optimistic with this guy, sorry. Hope he proves me wrong, but I have not seen anything (other than blind hope) to make me feel this way.

Guest Deleted member

I wish I'd heard this awe inspiring message before I boarded the bleeding coach this morning.

Negative idiot

Guest Housey

Massive Fail IMO - Are we going to trust him with the money if this 'investment' does materialise?

There is a case for giving Irvine a chance with his own team but is he really the man you'd want to progress the club if we had a bit of money, we online managers and chairman all know best of course joking aside one day someone will come along like they did in the past Charlton,,Atkinson, and turn this club around with or without money. I believe in football you have your time and when we eventually find the right manager to lead us there we will have our day once more. Lets hope it's not 30 flipping years though.

Guest Ballinio

There is a case for giving Irvine a chance with his own team but is he really the man you'd want to progress the club if we had a bit of money, we online managers and chairman all know best of course joking aside one day someone will come along like they did in the past Charlton,,Atkinson, and turn this club around with or without money. I believe in football you have your time and when we eventually find the right manager to lead us there we will have our day once more. Lets hope it's not 30 flipping years though.

Name Nationality From To P W L D Win %

(14) Jack Charlton England 1977-10-08 8 October 1977 1983-05-27 27 May 1983 269 105 77 87 39.03%

(17) Ron Atkinson England 1989-02-14 14 February 1989 1991-06-06 6 June 1991 118 49 34 35 41.52%

(28) Irvine Scotland 2010-01-088 January 2010 2010-04-23 present 17 7 4 6 41.2%

it's all in the figures

Not a stats man, but someone said on here this week that if Irvine had been in charge all season, then he would have achieved 54 points. Not that impressive is it, if true.

But, he was brought in, I would hope, to keep us in this division. If not, then why change?

Coupled to his unimpressive spending record at Preston, having been sacked having accumulated a wage budgeted staff of reputedly 11 milllion.

Doesn't bode weel for next year.

He's been a massive fail IMO. Let's hope his recent sounding are reverse physcology, but a leopard doesn't change his spots.

Setting off soon - I would have preffered Colin on the touchline to be honest.

When I get back, will I have to get the tambourine out, do you think?

mmm...i agree with colin, and the fact that he would have bust a gut before failing (we might have had half a dozen sent off in the derby...but would have won it), but do you think the club could have been brave enough to appoint him?...and what would have been the talibans opinion?...and how long before they swayed larger sections of the crowd against him?...

mmm...i agree with colin, and the fact that he would have bust a gut before failing (we might have had half a dozen sent off in the derby...but would have won it), but do you think the club could have been brave enough to appoint him?...and what would have been the talibans opinion?...and how long before they swayed larger sections of the crowd against him?...

It was never going to be happen TBH. Lost oppourtunity IMO.

We live and learn, I suppose.

It was never going to be happen TBH. Lost oppourtunity IMO.

We live and learn, I suppose.

no, sorry, i've been coming to hillsborough since the late 60s....let me assure you, we may live, but, we are Sheffield Wednesday......we will never learn...(seen it described on here as...the wednesday way...)

As said earlier in the thread and as I pointed out numerous times before the Derby - my worry is that AI just doesn't get it.

Doesn't undrstand the passion of our fans (bar the PR rhetoric yesterday) and he wants to coach himslef out of situations when a bit of fire in the belly would be sufficient.

Guest Housey

Name Nationality From To P W L D Win %

(14) Jack Charlton England 1977-10-08 8 October 1977 1983-05-27 27 May 1983 269 105 77 87 39.03%

(17) Ron Atkinson England 1989-02-14 14 February 1989 1991-06-06 6 June 1991 118 49 34 35 41.52%

(28) Irvine Scotland 2010-01-088 January 2010 2010-04-23 present 17 7 4 6 41.2%

it's all in the figures

It's not about stats, it's about lifting the club and giving people hope, does Irvine give you hope or does he bore the ass off you? Charlton gave the club a massive boost and wilko carried that on and got us promoted, Atkinson actually got us relegated but you knew there was something special, as it turns out we only finished third but still got promoted, the league cup win makes up for that though. Barnsley got it right with Mark Robins, Reading with Brian McDermott both now safe from relegation after looking like going down. We appointed Irvine to prevent relegation or we would have stuck with Laws, If we go down Irvine has failed.