Pace

That's the key.

We lack it defensively

We lack it out wide

And we lack it up front.

We can't pass the ball about and retain possession because we're rubbish and low on confidence.

We can knock it long and but we can't get around the back because we're far too slow.

If Johnson isn't back soon (and by that I mean Saturday soon) we need to beg, borrow, steal or somehow find the money to get a loan player with some serious speed. And even if he is back against Leicester - because he's so inconsistent we could do with that extra player as well.

Don't know where we get the money from - but that's what we need.

Having a midfielder that can spot a good pass, and actually make that pass.

the more I watch Darren Potter, i realise he can't pass for poo poo. Always plays the shitty short passes, instead of a decent long ball... By long ball i dont mean just hoof it to anyone, actually spot a long pass and execute it.

Having a midfielder that can spot a good pass, and actually make that pass.

the more I watch Darren Potter, i realise he can't pass for poo poo. Always plays the shitty short passes, instead of a decent long ball... By long ball i dont mean just hoof it to anyone, actually spot a long pass and execute it.

I'm not defending him - because he's been pretty awful recently

But it would help if someone actually moved into space, or beyond play instead of just standing still 2 metres from him.

Yesterday - Beevers got the ball in the D, ran forward with the ball - no-one moved for him, so he kept going, still no-one made a run forward or came to him. In fact I think half of them ran away. He ended up about level with the Reading penalty box on the LHS on his own and the ball went out of play.

It was like watching my 6-a-side team.

Edited by dave

I'm not defending him - because he's been pretty awful recently

But it would help if someone actually moved into space, or beyond play instead of just standing still 2 metres from him.

Yesterday - Beevers got the ball in the D, ran forward with the ball - no-one moved for him, so he kept going, still no-one made a run forward or came to him. In fact I think half of them ran away. He ended up about level with the Reading penalty box on the LHS on his own and the ball went out of play.

It was like watching my 6-a-side team.

I see what you mean.

But maybe other's dont make a run because they know the ball won't be passed in that area?

I dont know who's to blame, midfielders for not been able to pass, players for not making the runs, or both.

I see what you mean.

But maybe other's dont make a run because they know the ball won't be passed in that area?

I dont know who's to blame, midfielders for not been able to pass, players for not making the runs, or both.

Bit of both.

Which is why I say pace is the key.

With quick players you don't have to be so precise - our aimless balls up field become something we can actually use.

Bash it long and get JJ to chase it should be our mantra.

When we've been at our best in the last two years it's been when JJ and Sodje (and to an extent Clarke or Varney) played well - Fast, direct and aggressive.

Edited by dave

which is why I am staggered when people come on here and slate JJ, when fit and playing

He is and has been for a number of years, the only player who the opposition fear and the only outlet ball we have.

Even if he is playing poo , his sheer pace alone frightens teams. Defenders lose confidence, teams double up, space is made elsewhere

Please hurry up JJ !!!

Ask any fan who has watched us regularly for the last god knows how many years and as a team we have been short of pace, strength and bottle, especially in midfield. Everybody else, when the team is struggling ,decide to get some big bruisers in to fight all day and make themselves difficult to play against. Not us, successive managers , especially Laws , seem to think we should be able to play like Barca with players with no quality . (I exclude KPS from this)

While trying to be positive in the summer,cos at least we brought in some experience, I was worried we had missed the chance again to bring in players with these qualities and so it has turned out.

The most difficult thing in football these days(apart from winning) is getting rid of crap players and improving the effectiveness of the squad and although the Chairman made more money available this season the manager let him down.