Varney to stay permenantly??

Guest Walkley_Owl

Don't be an idiot. :biggrin:

How is that being an idiot, you deliberately spelt the blokes name wrong cos you were too idle to look it up, do you hate all Poles

i'm only kidding

Guest Darkus Owlus

How is that being an idiot, you deliberately spelt the blokes name wrong cos you were too idle to look it up, do you hate all Poles

i'm only kidding

So? You know who I ment? Point got across?

Yes I didn't look up his surname because I hate poles. :laugh:

Edited by Darkus Owlus

Guest edforceowl

Jeffers out would be the obvious choice as he's not really a player he's more of a wage sponge, But Varney for me will have to prove he is worth a contract, he seems like he's got potential but iv'e not seen anything that would make me want him at this club full time.

We are never happy with any of our players, are we? We always find something to carp about. Do we expect our players to put in match-winning performances every single week? Even the overpaid fancy dans in the Premiership can't be world-beaters every match, aside from a few exceptional players like Wayne Rooney who seem to play a blinder every time.

Would we be happy with Jermain Defoe? He's started scoring again but had been through a lean spell. Would we having been rubbishing him if he'd been at Hilsborough over that period?

Varney is no Defoe but he has certainly been a success for us. Whether or not he is on fire every week he at least works very hard and keeps opposing defences occupied. And from time to time he does come up with the goods, putting in a burst of pace and a decent finish.

When we think about the other striking options we have and the financial constraints we are under we should be delighted that Varney wants to play for us and sign him up during the close season (if we are still in this league).

He is an asset and we should make every effort to secure his services, even if there is no pleasing some people.

Guest edforceowl

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Luke Varney is a headless chicken. If he scores against Forest I'll eat my................wee wee tail!

(do you see what I've done there!)

I agree, I think if he scores everyone should eat thier wee wee tail in a united wee wee tail eating event

Jeffers out would be the obvious choice as he's not really a player he's more of a wage sponge, But Varney for me will have to prove he is worth a contract, he seems like he's got potential but iv'e not seen anything that would make me want him at this club full time.

:blink::blink::blink:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Luke Varney is a headless chicken. If he scores against Forest I'll eat my................wee wee tail!

(do you see what I've done there!)

You wouldn't miss it. But you might need to have some big potatoes with it. Wouldn't like to think of you going hungry.

;-)

If you put him on the same contract as Sodje that leaves enough room for us to bring a good striker in on Jeffers salary.

Therefore you have

Tudgay

New signing

Varney

Clarke

Johnson

Modest

more than enough cover and hopefully the new signing will bring us lots of goals

Guest Walkley_Owl

because he has had one good game, we should offer him a permanent deal and spend some money on him ?

No thanks. needs to do a lot more to earn a permanent deal

not long til he surpasses your pals goals for SWFC record

Oh and he's been great in his last TWO starts

It would be stupid of us to let Clarke go.

Yes, he's not the best, but he's better then Jeffers.

We technically have 4 strikers at the club that are ours - Tudgay, Clarke, Johnson and Jeffers

Johnson is mainly a RM so he'll tend to play there - leaves threee main strikers.

Jeffers is going, so we'll start the season with two main strikers. If we let Clarke go, leaves one main striker.

Now, why would Irvine let Clarke go when we have no money to spend on transfer fees, his wages wont be bad and for the price we paid, he's not too bad.

We need four strikers, minimum. Irvine likes his target man and Clarke is the only target man we have.

Also, strikers are expensive, more expensive as any other position. We haven't got the resources to buy two quality strikers, which we will have to do, but to buy three - not a chance.

Oh, back on topic, Varney would be a good addition to our squad. I like his work ethic and he seems to gel amongst the players.

Varney has got good pace through the middle of the park

If we could get a decent winger in, or a decent attacking central midfielder, someone who can put a decent ball in, Varney will score in the mid to high teens

On the subject of Jeffers, he could do a better job if he dropped back to midfield, ok we have plenty in midfield, but he could prove to be a different option, If we can get him fit for the run in that is,

He does have the ability to read a game, but unfortunately the scoring boots must have been handed in to the local charity shop.

We are in a position where unfortunately we have to utilise the players we have, Jeffers could be another midfield option ?.

Guest superowl58

While we have little money they I think Varney would be a good signing. At the end of the day the clubs with the most money get the consistent goal scorers. So thats not going to be us!

Varney is a decent squad player and i would be happy for him to sign.

If we do get investment then I would expect a slightly better candidate of player to be signed, Im not saying I expect us to go out and throw the cash about, Im realistic. Im talking about better standard of loan players ect and a few players on bigger contract. But while we have no money then I think players like Varney are about the standard we are looking at.