Varney to stay permenantly??

On Wednesday player and Radio Sheffield, Luke Varney has made it very clear he wants to stay with the Owls, Irvine also states he wants to keep Varney but that means we will have 4 strikers. Do you want Varney to stay and who would you get rid of to make room for him????

If he keeps putting in shifts like that against Plymouth, yes!

I would get rid of Jeffers, but who would want him? Also his contract runs out at the end of the season. Although we wouldn't necessarily have to get rid of anyone just because we have 4 strikers. We have had that many for the past few seasons and, wages permitting, there is no reason why we couldn't again.

Although having said this I feel AI views JJ as more of a forward than a midfielder.

On Wednesday player and Radio Sheffield, Luke Varney has made it very clear he wants to stay with the Owls, Irvine also states he wants to keep Varney but that means we will have 4 strikers. Do you want Varney to stay and who would you get rid of to make room for him????

Four strikers is the minimum we should have.

It all depends on what league we're in next season, whether there's a fee involved, the wages he'll ask for and who else is available on a free in the summer.

I would get rid of Jeffers, but who would want him? Also his contract runs out at the end of the season. Although we wouldn't necessarily have to get rid of anyone just because we have 4 strikers. We have had that many for the past few seasons and, wages permitting, there is no reason why we couldn't again.

Although having said this I feel AI views JJ as more of a forward than a midfielder.

Out

Jeffers

Tudgay

Clarke

Sodje

In

Varney

?

?

That I would be happy with, drop a striker and go with three dedicated forwards with Johnson and 'youth' as cover.

I'd prefer a spread of our funds to channel down the squad. Especially the Jeffers wages - get a creative midfield working and the strikers look after themselves.

Guest Ripley Owl

Varney always works his socks off for the badge , i would love to have him on the books full time , AI will get the best out of him , there is more to come ! :biggrin:

^^^^ that ^^^^

As Jeffers is injured again and will be out for at least a month can we not release him we're paying his wages until the end of the season in any case

Guest bigandy

At the end of the season my belief is we will only have on recognised striker contracted to the club. Marcus Tudgay.

Jeffers, Clarke and Sodje will be released making signing at least 2 strikers a major priority in the summer.

I would like Varney to be one of those but only if we can get him for a sensible price. 250k or less would be ideal taking into account Derby paid a million for him just over a year ago.

As Jeffers is injured again and will be out for at least a month can we not release him we're paying his wages until the end of the season in any case

I think that would be in bad spirit to release a player who is injured despite still paying his wages.

I remember Chris Stringer being injured and released at the same time but was welcome at the club to continue his recuperation.

I actually hope Jeffers can get fit and continue his career in the lower divisions.

Guest bigandy

I think that would be in bad spirit to release a player who is injured despite still paying his wages.

I remember Chris Stringer being injured and released at the same time but was welcome at the club to continue his recuperation.

I actually hope Jeffers can get fit and continue his career in the lower divisions.

And more recently Steve Watson.

exactly, you cant turn your back on a player. it would send a negative message to any player we wanted to bring in after Jeffers

if you get injured we dont give a throw