Chris Turner had a plan

If Turner had a plan - then unless that plan was to completely nail this club to the floor and repeatedly **** it up the rear til the intestines were showing - then that plan failed.

It was horrendous, abject failure

I cannot believe what i'm reading - maybe we need to go back to those days to drum some sense into some people and see how utterly pathetic his reign was

I agree.

I have said many times the restructuring of the first team squad undertaken by CT in the summer of 2004 was vital for our club. For all his faults as a manager he really did the business that summer - remember JPM, Maclean, Bullen all came down on frees from Scotland, Marsden came in who I am sure would have been absolute quality had he stayed fit. We also signed a solid keeper in Lucas, who was unfortunate to suffer from injuries when he was here. Turner had a wage budget of 2 million and no transfer fees that summer - an amazing job to pull that squad together.

PS another we dont give him credit for is Grant Holt who he signed from non league - a goal machine these past few years at other clubs.

Well, we definitely paid fees for both Marsden and MacLean, and I believe we needed a £1m loan from the chairman to complete these signings. He hardly did it on a shoestring, and while Peacock, Collins and Branston would be in most people's top 50 worst players eve for Wednesday, the money spent on the ageing, injured Marsden was a complete waste. I could also throw in that Bullen was one of the most gaffe-prone players I've ever seen, Whelan was terrible in his first season and Heckingbottom had as much positional sense of a corpse. But that might just be being picky.

It was a massive credit to Paul Sturrock that he managed to get these losers promoted - and weren't Collins and Branston bombed out of the club before the season's end anyway? As well as Marsden who retired, of course........

Did Grant Holt score a goal for us? Did we make a profit? Genuine questions as I can't remember. I can remember he was poo poo though.

Yorath signed him.

but to be fair to Beswetherick he had been doing well for Plymouth and was worth a gamble on a free.

Owusu was hot property after firing Brentford to the playoffs too.

Most people were chuffed when we got hold of Owusu for nowt.

To be fair, Beswetherick HADN'T been doing well at Plymouth. I can remember on the day we signed him, Radio Sheffield talking to Ken Furphy, who had Managed Watford for a few years, and who at the time was working for the local BBC station in Plymouth, and he said Beswetherick was the worst left back he'd ever seen.

To be fair, Beswetherick HADN'T been doing well at Plymouth. I can remember on the day we signed him, Radio Sheffield talking to Ken Furphy, who had Managed Watford for a few years, and who at the time was working for the local BBC station in Plymouth, and he said Beswetherick was the worst left back he'd ever seen.

I'm sure there was a quote in Terry Yoraths book that said something like, Beswetheric had ability but just couldn't play in front of a crowd.

So there you have it... we had a young Stuart Pearce in the making and didn't know about it!! :Dark smilie:

Not a plan thats as possible as it was. Depending on how far they'll go with these restrictions on squads, the top sides will be more reluctant to release English players. As we've seen in recent years, they're far happier to just loan them out, have them on cheap contracts, and then maybe sell them on if they're not quite good enough for them.

In addition, Brunt and Whelan had the luxury of having that time in League 1 to develop. Would we have signed them if we were a Championship side at the time they were released? And if we did, would they have got the neccessary time on the pitch? Simek was the one exception to that from a Wednesday point of view, but in general, the youngsters released nowadays won't be the ones who can slot straight into the Championship and make those profits down the line. Some of the others might turn out that good, but you're just hoping you get the right one, like all the other 23 teams in this league.

I wholeheartedly agree, Malek - Turner made some fantastic signings, mainly in the form of Brunt and Whelan. However, he made some terrible fornicate-ups too - Tidman, Branston and Chris Carr.

C'est la vie - all managers do that. Laws brought us Grant, Sturrock signed Tudgay. Didn't mean they signed poo players though.

To be fair, he had just played over 30 league games for the Plymouth side that won the old 3rd division with, I believe, their record points total for that division.

He was absolute dogshit for us, but he must have been doing something right at Plymouth to have played that many games in a highly successful team.

I know no one on here (me included) don't rate this guy as a manager, but still he had a great plan too improve our squad and ease our financial troubles.

...which is why he allowed Bromby, Quinn and Geary to run their contracts down and leave on free transfers. All three players went on to join Premier League clubs.

Posted Image

Edited by Wise_Owl

If Turner had a plan - then unless that plan was to completely nail this club to the floor and repeatedly **** it up the rear til the intestines were showing - then that plan failed.

It was horrendous, abject failure

I cannot believe what i'm reading - maybe we need to go back to those days to drum some sense into some people and see how utterly pathetic his reign was

I'm not sure you are getting my point.

Turner had a plan - to get hold of quality young players who were unhappy playing in reserves for their teams, developing them and selling for profit, giving us more resources to bring in better ones, and reputation as a club who can develop promising youngsters into quality players.

In my opinion this was a rood we should have gone since, and that's it.

If club like Athletic Bilbao had everything set like they have today, bout scouting network, and academy structured like ours they would been playing amateur football long ago :dry:

It is possible, but SWFC seems far too narrow minded and clueless to develop such a scheme :angry:

I'm not sure you are getting my point.

Turner had a plan - to get hold of quality young players who were unhappy playing in reserves for their teams, developing them and selling for profit, giving us more resources to bring in better ones, and reputation as a club who can develop promising youngsters into quality players.

In my opinion this was a rood we should have gone since, and that's it.

But that wasn't his plan though was it?

If it was he'd have signed a lot more the 3 youngsters in 2.5 years - one of whom was probably the worst player i've ever seen in an Owls shirt - and he wouldn't have let go the players he did whilst signing junk

If you are saying it would be a good idea to scour academy's and reserves for talent then we could have the debate - obviosuly it's far from straightforward because not many kids get discarded who would be the right calibre for us - but we could debate that for sure

What isn't for debate is that is was Turner's plan - he had no plan - i have never seen a more clueless professional team - well, Stockport, who were coincidentally managed by....

If club like Athletic Bilbao had everything set like they have today, bout scouting network, and academy structured like ours they would been playing amateur football long ago :dry:

It is possible, but SWFC seems far too narrow minded and clueless to develop such a scheme :angry:

Lets be fair, when it comes to scouting, Bilbao have pretty much a very small area in which they have to put all their resources, meaning the quality of scouting done in that area should be greater. And by their nature, they won't be a club who pays out massive transfer fees, but are not limited in the same way for receiving big fees, so they can afford to fund other areas.

Bilbao must be the exact opposite of this supposed plan of signing the castoffs from the bigger clubs.

Unless you're seriously suggesting that we limit ourself to signing players from Sheffield or something similar? :blink:

Lets be fair, when it comes to scouting, Bilbao have pretty much a very small area in which they have to put all their resources, meaning the quality of scouting done in that area should be greater. And by their nature, they won't be a club who pays out massive transfer fees, but are not limited in the same way for receiving big fees, so they can afford to fund other areas.

Bilbao must be the exact opposite of this supposed plan of signing the castoffs from the bigger clubs.

Unless you're seriously suggesting that we limit ourself to signing players from Sheffield or something similar? :blink:

Agreed, and they should be looked at by everyone as a positive example. They are scouting for talent from very small "pound" for over 100 years, and are regularly getting quality youngsters, and producing quality players out of them.

For club with such a tradition to do so well, and never been relegated from the top flight is quite amazing.

Yes, they are able to attract top players from their region ahead of clubs like Sociedad, Osasuna, etc... But don't forget that likes of Barcelona, Valencia, Real Madrid... are looking at this players as well, yet Bilbao representatives are doing a top job of selling their club to top youngsters, and developed reputation as a club who is great to youngsters.

Yes, they are able to attract top players from their region ahead of clubs like Sociedad, Osasuna, etc... But don't forget that likes of Barcelona, Valencia, Real Madrid... are looking at this players as well, yet Bilbao representatives are doing a top job of selling their club to top youngsters, and developed reputation as a club who is great to youngsters.

Agree with all that - but it has no relation at all to Turner or what he was trying to do here

Agree with all that - but it has no relation at all to Turner or what he was trying to do here

He sow that we can't buy top players for league we are in, but must look for potential to develop it into top players. He sow that was the only way to earn money for us too...

He spoke about trying to build a name for ourselves among young players, as a club that can help them improve and get better.