Chris Turner had a plan

Seems you are forgetting Guy Branston.

Heh, I saw Branston getting sent off for a League 2 team (Burton?) on the latest Football League Show - he's not improved over time...

I just looked at a teamsheet from 2003-04 and it was a bizarre mix of too-good-for-League-One and nowhere-near-good-enough-for-League-One:

Pressman; Geary, Smith, Wood, B-Murphy; Quinn, McLaren (Mustoe 80), McMahon, Brunt; Proudlock (Shaw 68), Robins (Cooke 80). Subs: Tidman, Carr, Mustoe, Cooke, Shaw.

Edited by Dooogs

Guest Kintana

I see your Bestgetridoftheprick and raise you a Maurice throw

throw was indeed, throw, but I am inclined to agree with feather about guy branston. That "guy" is more of a type of character you would see in UFC or Eastenders than playing football.

He also regularly gets sent off! Can't believe he is still knocking about!

Who signed Westwood? The worse player in SWFC history

Ashley Westwood wasn't that bad, especially when you consider poo like Lee Peacock, Guy Branston & Dean Smith all of which were shocking signings who were not fit to wear the shirt.

That said Leon Clarke is worse than all of them!

Heh, I saw Branston getting sent off for a League 2 team (Burton?) on the latest Football League Show - he's not improved over time...

I just looked at a teamsheet from 2003-04 and it was a bizarre mix of too-good-for-League-One and nowhere-near-good-enough-for-League-One:

Pressman; Geary, Smith, Wood, B-Murphy; Quinn, McLaren (Mustoe 80), McMahon, Brunt; Proudlock (Shaw 68), Robins (Cooke 80). Subs: Tidman, Carr, Mustoe, Cooke, Shaw.

Bring back Terry Cooke, he was a football genius!

That bench is the worst thing I've ever seen ha! We cant forget about Kim Olsen can we?

I'm telling you again - one way that club in our position can make money is by signing potential, and selling proven players. Turner sow this towards the end of his reign here, and did really well in half a season he tinkered with this policy.

I'm telling you again - one way that club in our position can make money is by signing potential, and selling proven players. Turner sow this towards the end of his reign here, and did really well in half a season he tinkered with this policy.

Yep, never mind i*******t - make a small operating profit every year and we won't need outside funds eventually. Seeing what the likes of the Glazers and the Liverpool Americans are doing makes me fearful for what might happen to Wednesday if we *do* get a new owner.

(Actually, the cnuts who mismanaged Darlington and Chester might be more appropriate analogies to worry about)

You might be right Malek. Mind you it's a formula for staying in the lower championship isn't it.

Without significant investment, there is hardly a hope we could fight for promotion as things stand anyway...

Guest hirsty9

MacLean came from Rangers.

Turner didn't do the spotting though, that was Eustace

Spot on, eustace was a great scout for wednesday and had a good eye for spotting up and coming players.

Erm, being pedantic but didn't we buy Maclean from Scunny? Agree about him having relatively buggerall resources, though...

We signed Maclean from Rangers for 125k didnt we? after he had been on loan at Scunny. I remember those Scott Taylor and Steve Howard bids too lol

But yes, Turner did know how to spot a player, he just didnt really know how to get us out of that league and played idealistic and ineffective passing football rather than what was needed.

I agree with Malek that we should be looking to these young players again in the future. But surely if we can all spot this as a good idea, surely our managers have looked down this avenue too?

Who signed John Beswetherick and Lloyd Owusu? I can remember John being subbed after about 10 minutes from the kick off - he was well w.ank!

Edited by DM_Owl

Who signed John Beswetherick and Lloyd Owusu? I can remember John being subbed after about 10 minutes from the kick off - he was well w.ank!

Yorath signed him.

but to be fair to Beswetherick he had been doing well for Plymouth and was worth a gamble on a free.

Owusu was hot property after firing Brentford to the playoffs too.

Most people were chuffed when we got hold of Owusu for nowt.

Yorath signed him.

but to be fair to Beswetherick he had been doing well for Plymouth and was worth a gamble on a free.

Owusu was hot property after firing Brentford to the playoffs too.

Most people were chuffed when we got hold of Owusu for nowt.

Very true, I also remember Owusu spewing every 5 mins. Weird!