Time for Academy to produce

I mentioned this in another thread but in the last 10 years the cupboard has been pretty bare. Looking at some of the current side like Lonchar, Preston, Hirst maybe this is about to change?

Richard Wood debuted in 2003

Tommy Spurr and Mark Beevers in 2006.

All played 100 plus games and were excellent youth products who have had decent careers.

In the last 10 years only the following have made League Debuts for Wednesday from the Academy:

Nathan Modest FW

Liam Palmer  DF/MF

Richard O'Donnell    GK

Arron Jameson     GK

Jack Stobbs    MF

Joe Wildsmith    GK

Cameron Dawson    GK

George Hirst    FW

Four keepers and only Palmer so far has played a good amount of games.

McAllister, Lekaj and Boden debuted over 1 seasons ago and Lavery joined at 19 having been at Ipswich 16-18.

Other team in the City have produced that many in one season a few years back and loads more of which a few have gone to the Premier for a lot of money.

Chelsea are known for not giving their own a chance but they have given more debuts in the last 10 years!

Our youth players are doing their bit in the relevant age groups. Don't forget Connor O'Grady also being called up to Ireland u21s. 

Preston, Hirst and Lonchar have excelled this season, along with a couple of others too. 

The comparison between us and our neighbors is that they are prepared to give young lads a chance, we aren't. 

11 minutes ago, David1867 said:

Our youth players are doing their bit in the relevant age groups. Don't forget Connor O'Grady also being called up to Ireland u21s. 

Preston, Hirst and Lonchar have excelled this season, along with a couple of others too. 

The comparison between us and our neighbors is that they are prepared to give young lads a chance, we aren't. 

Idiotic comparison between the championship and league 1

Guest oz_owl
39 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

It's not at all idiotic.  United have been bringing through quality youth players for a long time - most of that period we've either been in the same division or below them.  So the statement in isolation is true, although it doesn't go on to say how different the quality of youth intake has been between the two sides.

The difference is that they had a huge head start on us in terms of the amount of resources focused on youth development, while we let or programme dwindle.  So we're now playing catch up, and this season is maybe the first for many years where we look to have a decent crop of players who look like they can at least make the grade out on loan, regardless of whether they can step up to our first team.

There are two very well regarded youth development programmes in our back yard that have consistently produced Premier League level talent for a while now.  It's going to take some time for us to get up to that level, and we might not make it, but we're definitely heading in the right direction now.

2 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

13 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I know a fair bit about our youth programme I'm down there quite often I know a few of coaches at middlewood Rd and for me it's still quite idiotic to  compare the two 

In what way?  There's is miles better

Our academy has been underfunded for years going right back to Richards and The Cretins reigns . Other clubs left us behind because of this, but DC is investing heavily in the academy to try and put this right, but it wont happen overnight.  

3 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Would love to but the proof is in the pudding.Look what both clubs have produced over the last few years.Hopefully it will change.

obviously its going to take a few years for the "proof"

but its filtering through

1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

I know a fair bit about our youth programme I'm down there quite often I know a few of coaches at middlewood Rd and for me it's still quite idiotic to  compare the two 

I don't get why it's idiotic to compare. 

I dont know if it's improving now - hopefully it is - but there's no doubt they have been more successful over recent years.

off top of my head;

walker

naughton

jagielka

maguire

tonge 

sharp

calvert Lewin

lowton

Thats 8 players that have played premier league football from their youth team.

weve only brought players through at championship level at best and bar Palmer the rest have subsequently dropped down the league.

Academy football is a tough business for everyone concerned. The players, the coaches, the scouts and the parents. The players think they are on the path to fulfilling their dreams.

The coaches are under pressure to unearth the next superstar and justify the investment and the parents are blinkered by the thoughts of seeing their kid in bright lights.

In reality 99% of the kids will never make it with a revolving door spinning constantly with a new influx coming in to replace the original intake.

The coaches will identify one or two that have a chance and surround them with players that have no chance of ever making it and making it quite clear where their allegiances lie. Their reputations are on the line.

The scouts will be jostling with every other local club and also with all the big boys who have the luxury of showing off their state of the art facilities and the promise of a private school education.

The parents mainly the fathers will jump through hoops to try and get their son as one of the chosen few. Its almost as though they are almost pimping their son to every football club ignoring the best interests of their child. The mothers are the ones that have the best interests of their sons which Alex Ferguson identified a long time ago and whom he would get his scouts to target for the players they wanted. 

During those 10 years in question we neglected to do the basics of good old fashioned scouting, good coaching and retainment of coaching staff with the sight of the good coaches jumping ship for better jobs at other clubs. For our scouts some were not even afforded the club attire and it was a battle to get their expenses for the frustrating Saturday and Sunday morning scouting trips.

From what we see now the clubs reputation has improved and the ground work has been put in to the younger age group which sees the club now compete with not just United but also the bigger boys. But also we seem to recruit well at the older groups picking up players that have left the likes of Man City who have to compete against players from around the world.

All players develop at different ages and the difference between the u18s & u23s and our first team is vast but as well as a player having the talent you need a manager to have the balls to promote.

Some good work has been done but there is much more work to be done and it's a big task for the likes of young Hirst,  O'Grady, Lonchar, Preston and Penny to make that step up.

2 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Please explain? 

Utd rip us apart on the youth front. I know this from personal experience. 

They had it spot on with results, and we are playing catch up and will. 

But for now the infrastructure is at Utd 

19 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I don't get why it's idiotic to compare. 

I dont know if it's improving now - hopefully it is - but there's no doubt they have been more successful over recent years.

off top of my head;

walker

naughton

jagielka

maguire

tonge 

sharp

calvert Lewin

lowton

Thats 8 players that have played premier league football from their youth team.

weve only brought players through at championship level at best and bar Palmer the rest have subsequently dropped down the league.

you do know some of them players that you listed came through other clubs academies?

what about  Brunt and Whelan? (using your criteria)