Injuries!

Just now, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I've said this before, but we're supposed to have the strength in depth in our squad to cover for injuries.

Agreed, and we didn't do too bad last night (or as bad as some are making out) against a full strength Reading side. 

4 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I've said this before, but we're supposed to have the strength in depth in our squad to cover for injuries.

We do.

We have a wonderful squad. Easily good enough for a play off position, even with injuries.

Let's not use injuries as an excuse for our performances. The Manager has brought in 13 players in the last 2 transfer windows plus a load more in the previous 2.  He has had unbelievable financial backing from our generous Chairman.  I acknowledge that we are missing our best 3 outfield players but the squad is big enough to cope with it.  Finally, if we do look light in centre midfield, we should've looked in this area rather than buy 2 strikers in January.

21 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Let's not use injuries as an excuse for our performances. The Manager has brought in 13 players in the last 2 transfer windows plus a load more in the previous 2.  He has had unbelievable financial backing from our generous Chairman.  I acknowledge that we are missing our best 3 outfield players but the squad is big enough to cope with it.  Finally, if we do look light in centre midfield, we should've looked in this area rather than buy 2 strikers in January.

Wasn't an excuse, just an observation...

Would be interesting to see how others do in the same position, with a similar run of games!

Edited by AwokenGiant

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

Wasn't an excuse, just an observation...

Would be interesting to see how others do in the same position, with a similar run of games!

Fair point AG!

No doubt, we have our best 3 outfield players out at the moment. You could argue the 4th best, Lees has also being out for 2 months.  

However, we have flattered to deceive this season even when we had no injuries.  

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

Fair point AG!

No doubt, we have our best 3 outfield players out at the moment. You could argue the 4th best, Lees has also being out for 2 months.  

However, we have flattered to deceive this season even when we had no injuries.  

Indeed. 

I think the loss of Lee has been significant and certainly the loss of FF and Hutch over the last few games. 

I am not sure, whilst I don't think we've dominated teams like last year (when we were v much an unknown quantity) there has been alot of games that we would have won if we would have taken chances, or had the rub of the green. We are playing with less freedom and I think that this has something to do with tactics (away games) and how teams are setting up against us (home games). We are currently sixth behind three teams who have done exceptional well this season (without injuries to key players) and like us last season are buzzing (fans and players, etc)  because they never expected to be where they are. YES, we have had a bad run (with injuries) but are still in a v good position with 8 games to play. The mood would be so different if we wouldn't have had such a good run of form previously, compared to our current form. BUT, for some reason this seems to have been forgotten about amongst some sections of our fans. 

I think we need to be realistic and take into consideration that situation CC finds himself in at the minute. 

FF, Hutch & Lee were definitely missed last night.

However, at the start of the season, we would have expected Hutch to have had periods out or rested, due to his injury history. We didn't get a similar back up player as cover.

Lee was injured before the January window and we had time to replace but didn't.

We got cover for FF as wide left in the Summer: Reach and Urby but one plays a covering position and the other is just a myth.

4 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Definitely. 

Agreed, I think we miss Lopez this year.

I think Adbi was seen as a replacement, but again has been unfit or injured. 

I am not sure Reach was seen as cover for FF, more as a way of moving FF up top. Who's Urby? :biggrin:

or not played - his transfer figure should have been spent on a different type of midfielder.

1 minute ago, Animis said:

or not played - his transfer figure should have been spent on a different type of midfielder.

I think from the horses mouth Abdi embarked on a 'mini pre-season' a third of the way into the season and since then, has struggled with injuries. Too many suspicions and conspiracies amongst our fan base- i.e. Forestieri not wanting to be here! I'd prefer to stick with the reality or the facts.