Just like 1989/90

Back then we had some great players but until November '89 we were misfiring and struggling to find form.

Then like now we had something missing

Someone to knit it all together, someone to see a pass to the wings or direct to the forwards

That person was John Sheridan.

With the transfer window now shut who in our squad could step up and do that job?

Abdi, Bannan, bring FF into center mid? Did we miss the boat Houlihan?

Will this missing piece eventually cost us this season?

Let's hope not

Onwards and upwards to the Premiership.

6 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Yeah cos 89/90 was such a great season after Sheridan joined.....:wacko:

It led to one of our best seasons we've had in my memory 90/91

It just all came together from his  introduction.

Just had too much to catch up that year

Edited by lanzaroteowl

4 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

It led to one of our best seasons we've had in my memory 90/91

It just all came together from his  introduction.

Just had too much to catch up that year

Afraid I don't put too much stock in your memory, not sure how we could simultaneously have had too much to catch up (in November), been relegated on goal difference in May and Shez's season been an unmitigated success. 

2 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Afraid I don't put too much stock in your memory, not sure how we could simultaneously have had too much to catch up (in November), been relegated on goal difference in May and Shez's season been an unmitigated success. 

Never said that season was any sort of success, was saying the squad at the time was missing a link to bring it all together. 

Took until the following season for it to bear the ultimate fruit, but he was the link man we were missing

I was just equating the need for such a player to bring together all the undoubted talent which we have at our disposal today.

7 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Never said that season was any sort of success, was saying the squad at the time was missing a link to bring it all together. 

Took until the following season for it to bear the ultimate fruit, but he was the link man we were missing

I was just equating the need for such a player to bring together all the undoubted talent which we have at our disposal today.

You're remembering it wrong, Atkinson completely re-modeled the squad both during the season and after it and although Sheridan was a key part of the 1990/91 team his signing didn't bring the team together in the way you're suggesting.

I'd argue the signings of player like Roland Nilsson, Phil King and Carlton Palmer during that season were just as important, so were the signings of players like Paul Williams, John Harkes and Danny Wilson at the end of it.

If i recall right we had started disastrously and recovered really well to the point where we played Spurs with about 9 or 10 games to go and could have gone 7th with a win. We lost 4-2 and apart from a draw at Wimbledon and a victory over Charlton we then lost every other game and went down on goal difference. Sheridan was part of that team as were most of the players that brought us back up. 

90/91 was all about little partnerships, Pearson/Shirtliff, King/Irish, Roland/Harkes or Wilson, Sheridan/Palmer, Hirst/Williams.

Now tell me one partnership that is in our team week in, week out.

Not one.  

That is where why we are playing the way we are. 

4 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

90/91 was all about little partnerships, Pearson/Shirtliff, King/Irish, Roland/Harkes or Wilson, Sheridan/Palmer, Hirst/Williams.

Not one.  

Bang on and it's been like that since the first game against Villa.

The size of our squad is making this very difficult.  If a new man came in I would expect a lot of players to be shipped out.

We were at our best midway though last season with a tight squad and Hooper up front the missing piece.

CC has been allowed to splurge and frankly has made a bit of a wee wee tail of it.

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

You're remembering it wrong, Atkinson completely re-modeled the squad both during the season and after it and although Sheridan was a key part of the 1990/91 team his signing didn't bring the team together in the way you're suggesting.

I'd argue the signings of player like Roland Nilsson, Phil King and Carlton Palmer during that season were just as important, so were the signings of players like Paul Williams, John Harkes and Danny Wilson at the end of it.

I'm with Lanzarote.  Sheridan was the missing link.  King, who signed at the same time was also a good signing as he formed a nice combination with Irish on the left.  Carlton had signed the season before.

It was a strange old season that one, we started terribly and then struggled to pick up results even when we played well (Liverpool away springs to mind).  The main problem was that whilst we could put out a good XI any injuries to that XI and we were struggling.  If my memory serves me right wasn't Worthington injured v Spurs which was the start of the bad run at the end of the season?

10 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Not one.  

great post spike and those partnerships contribute to playing as a team something we are not really doing.  The only partnership we have had this season is Lees and Loovens and, unfortunately, Lees has been out injured for a while. 

I would also add that it's the sign of a top manager who can put these combinations together and then bring them all together as a team.  Big Ron was a master at that.  Carlos needs to find these partnerships very quickly and get us playing as a team. 

46 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I'm with Lanzarote.  Sheridan was the missing link.  King, who signed at the same time was also a good signing as he formed a nice combination with Irish on the left.  Carlton had signed the season before.

It was a strange old season that one, we started terribly and then struggled to pick up results even when we played well (Liverpool away springs to mind).  The main problem was that whilst we could put out a good XI any injuries to that XI and we were struggling.  If my memory serves me right wasn't Worthington injured v Spurs which was the start of the bad run at the end of the season?

We seem to run out of steam and into a rut - it was the form at the start of the season that did for us which always had us under pressure.

We just couldn't shake it and it got us in the end...we only just went down - just remember how awful the Forest game was..a disaster 

I can see something similar this season with us sliding away at the end - not sure if we have the staying power we had last season - it all feels so tired and incredibly hard work.

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

Not one.  

Westwood, Rhodes, Forestieri, Lees 

Edit, sorry half read your post and thought you'd said none of the current team would get in 90/91

Edited by Big Ron's Sovereign