Just like 1989/90

Have to say I was impressed with Abdi on Saturday; he looks a cool customer in the heat of battle which is something I feel we are crying out for.  On Saturday it felt like a few of our players struggled to stay composed/hold their nerve, but in fairness to Abdi I thought he looked the most composed player on the park.

Obviously he's been with us for a while, but hefeels like a new player due to the lack of playing time.  Given a run of games I'd be very interested to see if he could pull the strings like Sheridan used to do.

I remember beating manchester united 1-0 with about 8 games to go, Wednesday were crap and United were worse I thought we then lost all but one of the remaining games. 

The United fans wanted to sack there relatively new manager  of a couple of seasons a certain Alex Ferguson. United were a real possibility for relegation Fergie stopped the rot and won the fa Cup the rest is history 

6 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Back then we had some great players but until November '89 we were misfiring and struggling to find form.

Then like now we had something missing

Someone to knit it all together, someone to see a pass to the wings or direct to the forwards

That person was John Sheridan.

With the transfer window now shut who in our squad could step up and do that job?

Abdi, Bannan, bring FF into center mid? Did we miss the boat Houlihan?

Will this missing piece eventually cost us this season?

Let's hope not

Onwards and upwards to the Premiership.

This team, or maybe the style of play is no way no how anything like the side of 1989. The team of 89 was exciting to watch, and nearly every game..the results may have wandered slightly but you just knew they would click most times, you knew they would go for it every game

I think a fit Abdi is the key to getting the midfield to click. Like someone said in an earlier thread, we then need to get the partnerships working between full backs and wide players to make space in behind. This felt like a feature of that team back in the day. Getting Lees back to command the box like Pearson did would also make a difference. Could Rhodes be our modern day Hirst?  I'd like to think so but we'll see.  The power and pace of Hirst was absolutely magic to watch. 

Nothing like 89/90 Lanze..

We actually played well the season we got relegated bar the last game v forest and we had terrible luck, I remember going to villa park and totally out playing villa and then against the run of play David platt scored for them and we lost 1-0, that year I think villa finished 3rd.

This season we have big players for this league but we play terrible football with a manager that makes stranger decisions by the week !

1 hour ago, LoOkOut said:

Nothing like 89/90 Lanze..

We actually played well the season we got relegated bar the last game v forest and we had terrible luck, I remember going to villa park and totally out playing villa and then against the run of play David platt scored for them and we lost 1-0, that year I think villa finished 3rd.

This season we have big players for this league but we play terrible football with a manager that makes stranger decisions by the week !

That was my point, until we introduced Sheridan in November we were misfiring

We need to find someone to emulate that link up play

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

This team, or maybe the style of play is no way no how anything like the side of 1989. The team of 89 was exciting to watch, and nearly every game..the results may have wandered slightly but you just knew they would click most times, you knew they would go for it every game

the side of 89 was terrible at the start of the season it only scored 2 goals in the first 10 games ...yes it picked up when Sheridan ,nilsson & king arrived but we still got relegated that we scored just  35 goals in 38 games and conceded 51 suggests it didn't click very often ..........

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

the side of 89 was terrible at the start of the season it only scored 2 goals in the first 10 games ...yes it picked up when Sheridan ,nilsson & king arrived but we still got relegated that we scored just  35 goals in 38 games and conceded 51 suggests it didn't click very often ..........

Maybe I got mixed up with 1990..WTF:

9 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Houlihan/Hourihan whatever, I'd be bothered to get it right if he'd signed for us.

apparently he was set to sign for us ,hence the delay in the Winnall announcement to make it a double signing.but after all the fuss with the Barnsley fans moaning and that director quitting ,Barnsley refused to sell to us ,that's why he ended up at villa