Pace

Wilks will offer us an outlet when he plays and also Windass is deceptive in his reaction speed.
Would like to see some more pace at the back as Iorfa probably won’t stay fit all season. That way we can push the defensive line a little higher and mean the play will be closer to the likes of Smith and Gregory as I’ve isn’t their strength.

A couple of loan signings with pace would be good. Usually the young players will have raw pace and need to touch up in other areas of their game.

On 25/06/2022 at 07:35, jrh said:

Pretty happy with the signings so far - on paper, I don't think we can't argue with them. 

I am still concerned that we have a severe lack of pace in the team at present. 

As much as people have turned on Mendez-Laing, he did offer us some much needed pace and another option that we needed. 

Hope to see us get a couple more wing backs in, hopefully with some pace to compete with Johnson and Hunt as well as another striker of that mould (Wilks would be great in my opinion). 

Agree we lacked pace combined with some quality in squad last season, in tight games like vs sunderland it can be the difference between promotion or not, they had a quick winger who put a promotion winning cross in, we need bannan to thread a needle to get in behind, it's better to have both options and variety.

Its always useful to have some pace and energy on flanks and upfront to get in behind or for counters imo, but even if a cb or 2 has some pace you can play a higher line to attack more and snuff out 1v1's, so we probably missed a fit iorfa at times last season vs quicker forwards, doubt that cross would have come in vs sunderland for example.