Old Wednesday teams

4 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

As much as enjoy reminiscing about past teams they would be destroyed by teams twenty years in the future.

All sports progress, people get faster, stronger, better diets, better training methods.

In total agreement. The Real Madrid team that beat Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden 7-3 would have been slaughtered by Queens Park Rangers current team lol  60 years of progress would have had QPR giving them at least 3 goals start. What guff !

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

In total agreement. The Real Madrid team that beat Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden 7-3 would have been slaughtered by Queens Park Rangers current team lol  60 years of progress would have had QPR giving them at least 3 goals start. What guff !

Be interesting to find out, I'd bet on QPR.   

• Like 1

dont know  which one would win but i know which i would enjoy watching..........playing out from back with hodge in goal was him coming 20 yards outside his penalty area and launching to the edge of the opposites box chappy or whoever was the big man knocking it down for someone to latch onto ......marvellous excitement .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

dont know  which one would win but i know which i would enjoy watching..........playing out from back with hodge in goal was him coming 20 yards outside his penalty area and launching to the edge of the opposites box chappy or whoever was the big man knocking it down for someone to latch onto ......marvellous excitement .

Loved Wilkos reign some terrific games and 100% guaranteed commitment most games.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Five Archers said:

The threads about old managers got me thinking about how teams from the past would have done in today’s game.

How do you reckon this team would do in league 1 or the championship?

M Hodge   

M Smith  M Lyons  P Shirtliff

M Sterland.                          N Worthington

B Marwood G Megson I Varadi

L Chapman G Bannister

banno never played with chapman which is shame coz  they would have been some combo .

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Loved Wilkos reign some terrific games and 100% guaranteed commitment most games.

there was just shame old bert tightened the wallet and it all went a bit stale at the end with cheapo  signings like west ,galvin,owen hodgson etc etc .......wilko showed what he could achieve with the right backing 2 years later .l

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

there was just shame old bert tightened the wallet and it all went a bit stale at the end with cheapo  signings like west ,galvin,owen hodgson etc etc .......wilko showed what he could achieve with the right backing 2 years later .l

Yep the Wednesday way, get the right people in then turn the tap off

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Five Archers said:

The threads about old managers got me thinking about how teams from the past would have done in today’s game.

How do you reckon this team would do in league 1 or the championship?

M Hodge   

M Smith  M Lyons  P Shirtliff

M Sterland.                          N Worthington

B Marwood G Megson I Varadi

L Chapman G Bannister

Brilliant team. I loved that team. I'd back them to win the Championship today, and be top half of the PL.

• Like 2