Old Wednesday teams

The threads about old managers got me thinking about how teams from the past would have done in today’s game.

How do you reckon this team would do in league 1 or the championship?

M Hodge   

M Smith  M Lyons  P Shirtliff

M Sterland.                          N Worthington

B Marwood G Megson I Varadi

L Chapman G Bannister

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

As much as enjoy reminiscing about past teams they would be destroyed by teams twenty years in the future.

All sports progress, people get faster, stronger, better diets, better training methods.

Agree with that but that side was stupidly fit and it has a fair bit of pace in it too, and no way would it get bullied 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Five Archers said:

The threads about old managers got me thinking about how teams from the past would have done in today’s game.

M Hodge   

L Chapman G Bannister

That team had the lot to romp the modern day championship 

It had physicality, fitness and speed in abundance 

Add to that the mentality of those players. 
I loved Atkinson team and individually it was better

However…. Would you put your mortgage on Atkinsons team beating that one in a one off match because I wouldn’t 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

As much as enjoy reminiscing about past teams they would be destroyed by teams twenty years in the future.

All sports progress, people get faster, stronger, better diets, better training methods.

When comparing teams of different eras there’s two ways of looking at it:

how would the past team fare in today’s game?

how would today’s team fare in the game of the previous era?

In both cases, I’d suggest the team of the time would prevail.

Put back a few decades, even with their modern fitness regimes, how would players manage with the heavier balls? with the muddy pitches from mid October? with thugs at centre half that wouldn’t even be booked for a knee high lunge?

Few current day players would make it in the top divisions of the 80s and earlier. Ronaldo, for example, would be no match for Greaves or Best. Or even Marwood. Imagine Ronaldo doing his multiple step overs before gliding past Mel Sterland? How many times would Sterland allow that to happen before a hefty challenge?

So put the team of smokers and drinkers from the OP against today’s lot in 80s boots, on an 80s winter pitch, with an 80s ball, with an 80s referee applying 80s interpretation of the rules, then the 80s team would win hands down.

But under today’s conditions, the current team would win by a vast margin, partly due to improvements in fitness and speed but also because half the old team would be sent off before half time.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

That team had the lot to romp the modern day championship 

It had physicality, fitness and speed in abundance 

Add to that the mentality of those players. 
I loved Atkinson team and individually it was better

However…. Would you put your mortgage on Atkinsons team beating that one in a one off match because I wouldn’t 

No don’t think I would 

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You are having a giraffe. Wilko's team would absolutely monster the current side.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just now, hasthagotanycheese said:

You are having a giraffe. Wilko's team would absolutely monster the current side.

Believe me they would An old true story i worked with old scout Charlie Waine  .Any way went to match on Saturday we drew 2-2  with Ipswich Charlie wanted to have a word with Howard about a young player he had looked at ,Sits in the dressing room near the Door ,It opens   players come in sit down ,In comes Howard with Cup of tea throws it at the wall ,Says so you lot think thats a performance worthy of Sheffield Wednesday i do not ,Get out there and do me 20 laps of that pitch .

49 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Believe me they would An old true story i worked with old scout Charlie Waine  .Any way went to match on Saturday we drew 2-2  with Ipswich Charlie wanted to have a word with Howard about a young player he had looked at ,Sits in the dressing room near the Door ,It opens   players come in sit down ,In comes Howard with Cup of tea throws it at the wall ,Says so you lot think thats a performance worthy of Sheffield Wednesday i do not ,Get out there and do me 20 laps of that pitch .

Brings nothing to the thread.  If DM told all his players to do 20 laps it would all make them better players?  It's just as likely to breed resentment if you  played that card to often.

HW used subtlety telling players what he required from them, giving them responsibility a feeling that they were the key to his plans and that they were letting him down personally if they deviated to much from his instructions.  Which breed loyalty and a sense of togetherness.

A very underrated manager, he also managed to make "basic"  football very entertaining.  I can't really think of any manager in the present who plays to these strengths. 

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Brings nothing to the thread.  If DM told all his players to do 20 laps it would all make them better players?  It's just as likely to breed resentment if you  played that card to often.

HW used subtlety telling players what he required from them, giving them responsibility a feeling that they were the key to his plans and that they were letting him down personally if they deviated to much from his instructions.  Which breed loyalty and a sense of togetherness.

A very underrated manager, he also managed to make "basic"  football very entertaining.  I can't really think of any manager in the present who plays to these strengths. 

That’s a really succinct way of describing Wilkinson 

He instilled basic principles and ideas into the team and it was quite basic stuff but like you say really entertaining 

Nobody liked playing Wednesday back then.

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

People always say this but it’s a load of rubbish.

If they were playing now they’d also have better diets and better training methods.

That team would clearly destroy league one. It’s got players in it that flourished at the very top of the top division.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

People always say this but it’s a load of rubbish.

If they were playing now they’d also have better diets and better training methods.

That team would clearly destroy league one. It’s got players in it that flourished at the very top of the top division.

But they aren't playing now that's the whole point.  

Its taking a team from x year to the present and seeing who wins.  I would bet that 9/10 the present team would win.   The problem is that we will never know.

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

But they aren't playing now that's the whole point.  

Its taking a team from x year to the present and seeing who wins.  I would bet that 9/10 the present team would win.   The problem is that we will never know.

The point was, how would this team do in League One - which would mean they would be playing today and they would have current training methods and diets.

4 hours ago, Five Archers said:

M Hodge   

L Chapman G Bannister

Irrespective of changes in the game over the years some of those players gave their all for us. That team would cope admirably and be able to adapt to the game as it is today in my view.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

The point was, how would this team do in League One - which would mean they would be playing today and they would have current training methods and diets.

It never stipulates those conditions it gives the impression that each game they would bring the team into the present from the past.  

If we did it your way then you could well be right if they played with today's regimes and tactics, but what would be the point in that?  All your demonstrating is that you believe todays methods are better than yesteryears. 

Get the team from x year and play against the present team.