Under 18s

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

After the win for the under 23s yesterday thought I’d create a threat of positivity for the under 18s who are on fire winning today 3-0.

This is turning into a very good season as I believe they got there first win in the 9th match of the season and since then they have grown from strength to strength and have the best defensive record in both leagues.

Well done !!

Who would have said considering how poorly they started their season. Not long ago I didn't think there would be any players worth offering pro contracts to, but it looks like situation turned to the better last couple of months.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Who would have said considering how poorly they started their season. Not long ago I didn't think there would be any players worth offering pro contracts to, but it looks like situation turned to the better last couple of months.

Amazing what a bit of structure does isn’t it. 

The club was in such a mess at the start of the season bet coaches and players didn’t know what was going on. So unprepared. 

Now look at them some stepping up already in age groups 

• Like 1

There is definitely at least 5 players who should be offered pro deals and given the current situation and the managers philosophy that if you’re good enough, you’re old enough then some of these lads perhaps won’t be too far away from the first team? That said they have to be signed up first 🙄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Amazing what a bit of structure does isn’t it. 

The club was in such a mess at the start of the season bet coaches and players didn’t know what was going on. So unprepared. 

Now look at them some stepping up already in age groups 

Indeed, long may it continue.

Can't wait to see who will get offered pro contracts. Only concern is that not many first year academy players featured, actually it seems that only Caelen Kilheeney made spot in starting 11 his own. And obviously, young Cadamarteri who will hopefully sign academy terms next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

There is definitely at least 5 players who should be offered pro deals and given the current situation and the managers philosophy that if you’re good enough, you’re old enough then some of these lads perhaps won’t be too far away from the first team? That said they have to be signed up first 🙄

Who would be the 5 ? Guess that Bonnington, Aguas and Glaves would be 3 out of those 5. Who else ?

Who would be the 5 ? Guess that Bonnington, Aguas and Glaves would be 3 out of those 5. Who else ?

Zottos and Yates. Maybe Hall and Glover have a chance? Could easily see us releasing most of the under-23s and replacing them with most of the under-18 squad TBH?

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

Zottos and Yates. Maybe Hall and Glover have a chance? Could easily see us releasing most of the under-23s and replacing them with most of the under-18 squad TBH?

When they first signed I actually thought that Hall and Glover had best chance of making it. Hall was thought of as a big talent and was already training with England squads while Glover was a captain of U-16 squad and was also thought very highly of. Although hall put in some promising performances I don't think that either progressed as expected in last 2 years, but who knows. I was already mistaken regarding current bunch and hope that I'm again.

Looking at U-23's, two I would certainly keep would be Waldock and Farmer. Not bothered about the rest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, malek said:

When they first signed I actually thought that Hall and Glover had best chance of making it. Hall was thought of as a big talent and was already training with England squads while Glover was a captain of U-16 squad and was also thought very highly of. Although hall put in some promising performances I don't think that either progressed as expected in last 2 years, but who knows. I was already mistaken regarding current bunch and hope that I'm again.

Looking at U-23's, two I would certainly keep would be Waldock and Farmer. Not bothered about the rest.

Agree about Waldock and Farmer. Brennan getting on the bench recently suggests he’s got a future. I would only keep Hunt if Bannan leaves, no point keeping him otherwise. Probably give Hagan another year but the rest will probably go?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

Agree about Waldock and Farmer. Brennan getting on the bench recently suggests he’s got a future. I would only keep Hunt if Bannan leaves, no point keeping him otherwise. Probably give Hagan another year but the rest will probably go?

Wouldn't mind us giving another year to Brennan and Hagan, but wouldn't look to keep Hunt as I think that we can easily upgrade on him. Not a big fan of Dele Bashiru as well and would be happy to let him join another club.

I find this the most interesting thread on OT because a) it is a discussion not a fierce debate and b) it is about our Club's future.

I have seen nothing of this season's group apart from the odd few sequences of goal incidents so have nothing to say about individuals.  It is very rewarding, however, to see a group of players, outclassed at the start of the season, coming together as a squad, obviously being well-coached, and attaining such good results (the latter not too important at this stage but certainly good for morale and further encouragement).

We know, from many previous examples at our Club and elsewhere, that the young 'uns develop at different rates, so we may let kids go who improve to future stardom or we may find our next Hirst, Sheridan or Springett.  Let's cross our fingers that the judgement of the powers that be is absolutely perfect!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, malek said:

Wouldn't mind us giving another year to Brennan and Hagan, but wouldn't look to keep Hunt as I think that we can easily upgrade on him. Not a big fan of Dele Bashiru as well and would be happy to let him join another club.

Changed your mind since you started this thread just a few months ago then?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Changed your mind since you started this thread just a few months ago then?

I did.

Still point stands. We let 3 talented players get into last year of their contracts (though, it seems we have 1 year option on Hunt). That is why we lost Shaw and why we will lose Urhoghide. And in case that we want to keep Penney, that decision is taken out of our hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malek said:

I did.

Still point stands. We let 3 talented players get into last year of their contracts (though, it seems we have 1 year option on Hunt). That is why we lost Shaw and why we will lose Urhoghide. And in case that we want to keep Penney, that decision is taken out of our hands.

You can't keep them all.

A few months ago you said Hunt should absolutely be secured to be a part of our future and now we are more or less destined to play at a level below and seemingly have an option to keep him, you don't want him. 

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You can't keep them all.

A few months ago you said Hunt should absolutely be secured to be a part of our future and now we are more or less destined to play at a level below and seemingly have an option to keep him, you don't want him. 

Again, it wasn't a point. Could/should have named Urhoghide instead of him. Point was that we let bunch of talented players get into last year of their contracts before we started playing them and there is no logic in doing so. If they do well they are free to decide their own future instead of the club, and that is what happened with clare and Shaw and what will happen with Urhoghide.

And I'm no fan of Hunt and wouldn't mind us letting him go despite what i wrote 7 months ago.

• Like 1

Again, it wasn't a point. Could/should have named Urhoghide instead of him. Point was that we let bunch of talented players get into last year of their contracts before we started playing them and there is no logic in doing so. If they do well they are free to decide their own future instead of the club, and that is what happened with clare and Shaw and what will happen with Urhoghide.

And I'm no fan of Hunt and wouldn't mind us letting him go despite what i wrote 7 months ago.

So Hunt should no longer play a big part in our future then?