Under 18s

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So Hunt should no longer play a big part in our future then? 

God forbid that anyone ever change their opinion regarding a player, guess you never did it ?!

Don't know why you had to ruin thread that had nothing to do with this, though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, malek said:

God forbid that anyone ever change their opinion regarding a player, guess you never did it ?!

Don't know why you had to ruin thread that had nothing to do with this, though.

Yes people change their mind, what has made you change your mind so much about Hunt, just last season you said he was among the best midfielders in PL2, though at the same time you were saying he is nothing special so do seem to contradict yourself a bit on him.

You brought Hunt into this thread, not me.

13 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yes people change their mind, what has made you change your mind so much about Hunt, just last season you said he was among the best midfielders in PL2, though at the same time you were saying he is nothing special so do seem to contradict yourself a bit on him.

You brought Hunt into this thread, not me.

Hunt never played in PL2, but yes I said that some of our youngsters wouldn't look out of place there. 

As I said before, I named talented players who got chance of first team football 7 months ago and initially did well, but that were in last year of their contract so likely to leave on cheap if they impress as happened before and as is happening now. 

If Waldock started more games I would have named him, if Urhoghide wasn't injured I would have named him. Hunt got fair chance under Monk so I named him among those that could be part of the future here. Not like I thought he is 2'nd coming of John Sheridan. But I wrote my opinions on him and if you found this post you can check out those as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, malek said:

Hunt never played in PL2, but yes I said that some of our youngsters wouldn't look out of place there. 

As I said before, I named talented players who got chance of first team football 7 months ago and initially did well, but that were in last year of their contract so likely to leave on cheap if they impress as happened before and as is happening now. 

If Waldock started more games I would have named him, if Urhoghide wasn't injured I would have named him. Hunt got fair chance under Monk so I named him among those that could be part of the future here. Not like I thought he is 2'nd coming of John Sheridan. But I wrote my opinions on him and if you found this post you can check out those as well. 

Fair enough. 

To me it seems you are just a bit quick to be critical of the clubs approach at every juncture. Goodness knows there's enough to throw at in that respect but last year it was Osaze must have been rejected by Wimbledon for a reason, now its I can't understand how we have let him walk away, Hunt was as good as anyone you had seen in PL2 but now we have an option to keep him you don't want him. Penney has been woefully treated but when he was picked by our caretaker manager who knew him well our results were even worse. 

15 hours ago, malek said:

Wouldn't mind us giving another year to Brennan and Hagan, but wouldn't look to keep Hunt as I think that we can easily upgrade on him. Not a big fan of Dele Bashiru as well and would be happy to let him join another club.

Agree about Dele - Bashiru..................................always thought Ben Hughes and Isaac Rice showed promise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, malek said:

Wouldn't mind us giving another year to Brennan and Hagan, but wouldn't look to keep Hunt as I think that we can easily upgrade on him. Not a big fan of Dele Bashiru as well and would be happy to let him join another club.

Hagan has been injured a lot, if he can get over that I could still see him progressing. Waldock is a must i really like him.

30 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Goes to show how difficult it is judging how a player will develop at this age by some comments in this thread. 

And you never really know until they play first team football for a prolonged period.

I always go back to the Tommy Spurr example. He was told he would be released at the end of the season as not deemed good enough to play first team football. Then we have an injury crisis and he's the only left footed player in the youth team available so he's thrown in at LB (he was a CB at this point) into the first team. He plays really well in a few first team games gets a contract and goes onto have a very good championship career.

Had it not be for our injury crisis he could have dropped down and out of the leagues who knows.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

And you never really know until they play first team football for a prolonged period.

I always go back to the Tommy Spurr example. He was told he would be released at the end of the season as not deemed good enough to play first team football. Then we have an injury crisis and he's the only left footed player in the youth team available so he's thrown in at LB (he was a CB at this point) into the first team. He plays really well in a few first team games gets a contract and goes onto have a very good championship career.

Had it not be for our injury crisis he could have dropped down and out of the leagues who knows.

Never knew that, always thought he was a decent honest player.  Makes one wonder how many fall through the cracks.  

• Like 2

Guest Smackavolley
23 hours ago, malek said:

Indeed, long may it continue.

Can't wait to see who will get offered pro contracts. Only concern is that not many first year academy players featured, actually it seems that only Caelen Kilheeney made spot in starting 11 his own. And obviously, young Cadamarteri who will hopefully sign academy terms next season.

It's interesting. It used to be nice to take in a couple of games in at Middlewood Road and watch these kids coming through. Cadamarteri age group is a strong one by all accounts. Looking at the current squad the club will need to sign at least 12 first years next season. I heard a couple of  lads who will be 2nd years next season have had long term injuries. The current batch of 2nd years seem to have really improved and results have been impressive but only a couple of players have had any U23 experience. They appear to be Bonnington, Aguas and Trueman. Always thought that Glaves was the pick of the bunch but there's been little mention of him. Hagan, Dawodu and Reaney  from the current U23's haven't played a lot of football due to injury.

I'd like the club to offer contracts to Brennan and Waldock because I think them, Galvin and Adedoyin will make the step up and be involved with the 1st team next season. Farmer, Hagan, maybe Reaney and Dawodu should be renewed for me. No idea with Hunt. I think he's a player but sometimes it's better to part ways for the benefit of both parties. The rest of them are fighting with the U18's coming to the end of their scholarships and players they have lined up on trial from bigger clubs. Be interesting if we hear anything more about the lad from Southampton who played with the U23's this week.

18 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

It's interesting. It used to be nice to take in a couple of games in at Middlewood Road and watch these kids coming through. Cadamarteri age group is a strong one by all accounts. Looking at the current squad the club will need to sign at least 12 first years next season. I heard a couple of  lads who will be 2nd years next season have had long term injuries. The current batch of 2nd years seem to have really improved and results have been impressive but only a couple of players have had any U23 experience. They appear to be Bonnington, Aguas and Trueman. Always thought that Glaves was the pick of the bunch but there's been little mention of him. Hagan, Dawodu and Reaney  from the current U23's haven't played a lot of football due to injury.

I'd like the club to offer contracts to Brennan and Waldock because I think them, Galvin and Adedoyin will make the step up and be involved with the 1st team next season. Farmer, Hagan, maybe Reaney and Dawodu should be renewed for me. No idea with Hunt. I think he's a player but sometimes it's better to part ways for the benefit of both parties. The rest of them are fighting with the U18's coming to the end of their scholarships and players they have lined up on trial from bigger clubs. Be interesting if we hear anything more about the lad from Southampton who played with the U23's this week.

Very informative post and excellent read. Thanks a lot 🙂

It will be very interesting to see who will be kept and who will be brought in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smackavolley said:

Have the long term injuries been Whitham and Wassell. I've noticed that neither has started a game this season. With some first years they hardly play in their first year so was unsure if it was that or maybe an injury.

Guest Smackavolley

25 minutes ago, Tudders said:

Does anyone know who scored for the under 18’s against Bristol City?

Aguas, Hall and Zottos

13 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Have the long term injuries been Whitham and Wassell. I've noticed that neither has started a game this season. With some first years they hardly play in their first year so was unsure if it was that or maybe an injury.

Not sure of the injuries but yes. Another 1st year, Ashman has been out of the picture as well.

List of U-16 players that featured for U-18 squad this season and will likely sign academy terms at the end of the season:

Jack Hall - back up keeper to Alex Hare, played in 3 games.

Cian Flannery - Manchester born center-back who scored against Crewe .

Rio Shipston - creative central midfielder, Started 2 games and we won both.

Murtadha Al-Jahadhmy - nippy and quick winger/forward who got plenty of game time and scored couple of goals for U-18's.

Jake Bradford - forward who got chance of the bench few times.

Bailey Cadamarteri - I guess that most on here are familiar with the striker who made name for himself this season with goals (already a hat-trick as well) he scored for our U-18 side despite been only 15 years old.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, malek said:

List of U-16 players that featured for U-18 squad this season and will likely sign academy terms at the end of the season:

Jack Hall - back up keeper to Alex Hare, played in 3 games.

Cian Flannery - Manchester born center-back who scored against Crewe .

Rio Shipston - creative central midfielder, Started 2 games and we won both.

Murtadha Al-Jahadhmy - nippy and quick winger/forward who got plenty of game time and scored couple of goals for U-18's.

Jake Bradford - forward who got chance of the bench few times.

Bailey Cadamarteri - I guess that most on here are familiar with the striker who made name for himself this season with goals (already a hat-trick as well) he scored for our U-18 side despite been only 15 years old.

We only had a small intake of first years last summer-7 including no goalkeeper(2 not started a game all season).  Probably means there will be the ones that you have mentioned plus a few more to make a reasonable sized squad next season.  First year will be the first choice keeper next season.  Normally first year keeper only plays a couple of games like Render, Jackson and Hare did in their first year. I've got Leo Chapman and Brandon Ntoku playing.  Were they U16s or triallists do you know?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

We only had a small intake of first years last summer-7 including no goalkeeper(2 not started a game all season).  Probably means there will be the ones that you have mentioned plus a few more to make a reasonable sized squad next season.  First year will be the first choice keeper next season.  Normally first year keeper only plays a couple of games like Render, Jackson and Hare did in their first year. I've got Leo Chapman and Brandon Ntoku playing.  Were they U16s or triallists do you know?

Not sure about Chapman (I certainly missed out on his appearance), will take a look. Ntoku was a trialist.