Tony Pulis "It was a reckless challenge and I understand why the referee gave a red card"

7 hours ago, Ronio said:

I don't know.  

I personally like seeing our midfielders get tackles in.  Whether that is a standing one or a sliding tackle.  

i think a lot of it comes down to the players actually being coached properly.  Same thing we saw with Van Aken the other week before he was hauled off.  

Its a changed world, that is perhaps my point because 20 years ago it wasn't a foul, the player slagged off for neshing a tackle.

However it could be a red these days. The world isn't going back so you have to modify how you stop the opposition. Its more about disruption, hurrying them, wait for a mistake. You save tackles for when that has failed 

Fantastic tackle, 20 years ago. Pulis nailed it. Shaw gave the ref a decision to make. No need.

Middle of the pitch, going no where. Shaw looks a player to me, and I don’t mind the aggression. Be interesting to see what his disciplinary record was at youth level. 

"...but he was out of control"

It's a game of split seconds, he thought he could get the ball and he did get the ball, he also got the man but:

- if every player is always in control no foul will ever be committed as the fouler will think "oh heck, I don't think I'll get there" and pull out of the challenge.

- by the very nature of a game involving 22 animate objects and one inanimate object under external force no one person is ever in control as they cannot know 100% where any other player is going to go out indeed where the ball is going to go. This makes the difference between a good challenge and a bad challenge.

This returns you to the game of split seconds. It's not two footed (his trailing leg is trailing), it's not really high, he doesn't have malice etched across his face, he isn't shouting "have that you bàstard"... It's a robust challenge, that's all.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

"...but he was out of control"

It's a game of split seconds, he thought he could get the ball and he did get the ball, he also got the man but:

- if every player is always in control no foul will ever be committed as the fouler will think "oh heck, I don't think I'll get there" and pull out of the challenge.

- by the very nature of a game involving 22 animate objects and one inanimate object under external force no one person is ever in control as they cannot know 100% where any other player is going to go out indeed where the ball is going to go. This makes the difference between a good challenge and a bad challenge.

This returns you to the game of split seconds. It's not two footed (his trailing leg is trailing), it's not really high, he doesn't have malice etched across his face, he isn't shouting "have that you bàstard"... It's a robust challenge, that's all.

Absolutely correct.