Hallam FC

Steelman

During lockdown a few of us that are really good mates (Owls & Bl**es) decided we were going to support a "so called" non-league side together as soon as we could. Anyway, even though they play in blue & white we all agreed on Hallam, mainly because most of us either live near there or grew up round there. 

Last night was our first game and even though it was a very one sided friendly it was a cracking night watching live football. We were all surpised and impressed at the standard of the team, first touch, passing, comfortable on the ball and they had some real stand out players. Don't know their names but the left back playing number 3 had a wand of a left foot and the number 9 was absolute quality, really impressive player and was a grafter for the team as well. The set up there is also great with the bar and facilities

Anyway, we'll all be back for the first league match next week and are all looking forward to seeing them play in a proper fixture. We'll all be going regularly from now on as well, even when the professional game is back up and running, £5 entry and worth every penny. Obviously other local sides are available and I'd recommend it to anyone that's in need of a live football fix or was considering watching some non-league football. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

The standard of non-league can surprise you.

To this day I have never seen a player live that has a better delivery on his left peg than the left back of my local football team. Every free kick and corner was swung in with perfection and he struck a penalty sweeter than you would think possible. And I'm really not exaggerating on that (I know it sounds like hyperbole, but honestly, it isn't). Obviously there's a reason these players play at that level, but sometimes a specific aspect of their game is just extraordinary for the level they're at.

I'd say go and enjoy the experience and try and spot those players who have certain areas of their game where you scratch your head and wonder how they're not full time pros. It's good fun. 

• Like 2

I watched Fleetwood Town a few times when they were in the conference and got to see teams like Blyth spartans and Harrogate Railway, was surprisingly good.

Fleetwood bought some lad from Halifax called vardy, wondered whatever happened to him........?

• Like 1

ahem... all of my teams are lower division sides... ever heard of Sheffield Wednesday? 

he he he he... 

On a serious note a friend of mine from here in the states actually made it onto the Histon FC squad many, many moons ago. So he and I follow them a bit. 

I was there at Hallam FC on Tuesday when they won 16-0.

I have a feeling the RAF side under estimated them and thinking playing a side from step 6 of the Non league pyramid that Hallam FC would be all balding pot bellied blokes from the local pub side.

I like non league but it does miss all the extras of Wednesday games of the reading team news on a Friday, the sub plots of ex players playing against you, looking out for your rivals scoreline, debating the crap referee in the pub afterwards.
But it is more  a more homely and cheaper experience. 

• Like 2

On 16/09/2020 at 11:55, StudentOwl said:

The standard of non-league can surprise you.

On 16/09/2020 at 08:31, Steelman said:

the left back playing number 3 had a wand of a left foot and the number 9 was absolute quality

Goes to show what is required to be a professional. 

My pub team played against semi pro’s once - to say we got embarrassed would be a big understatement 

8 hours ago, pachyderm said:

ahem... all of my teams are lower division sides... ever heard of Sheffield Wednesday? 

he he he he... 

On a serious note a friend of mine from here in the states actually made it onto the Histon FC squad many, many moons ago. So he and I follow them a bit. 

******** off... that's the local team I was on about with the left back with a class left peg... I literally grew up watching them

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

i was going to frickley tomorrow but looking on there website you have to buy a ticket in advance using summat called google pay so i'll giving that one a miss ......

Think because of the restricted number allowed in at moment even non league clubs are having to make games all ticket.
Think step 3 and 4 are allowed maximum of 600

5 and 6 allowed a maximum of 300.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think because of the restricted number allowed in at moment even non league clubs are having to make games all ticket.
Think step 3 and 4 are allowed maximum of 600

5 and 6 allowed a maximum of 300.

Northern prem is step 7-8 and south shields had a 600 sell out on saturday , frickley usually pull in 200 so cant see why they have to sell by e-tickets ....strange times I know but seems a bit ott for clubs with that level of support .

14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Northern prem is step 7-8 and south shields had a 600 sell out on saturday , frickley usually pull in 200 so cant see why they have to sell by e-tickets ....strange times I know but seems a bit ott for clubs with that level of support .

Think some clubs think with no professional football they will pull in much bigger gates and are worried that will have to turn people away at the last minute.

Clubs like Hallam FC and Handsworth are making games all ticket but other clubs in same league like Dronfield Town are not.

Northern Premier League is Step 3-4 in non league football jargon.

Edited by matthefish2002

I agree its a bit OTT but I also think clubs are making it all ticket as it is easier for track and trace.
Some clubs are doing everything they possibly can to show they are following the rules to make sure they can keep open.

I am going to Hallam FC tonight and making sure I enjoy it with the restrictions tightening it might be last football for a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree its a bit OTT but I also think clubs are making it all ticket as it is easier for track and trace.
Some clubs are doing everything they possibly can to show they are following the rules to make sure they can keep open.

I am going to Hallam FC tonight and making sure I enjoy it with the restrictions tightening it might be last football for a while.

Me and the lads are worried it might be the last as well. We'll try not to drink all the Estrella but can't promise lol!

1 minute ago, Steelman said:

Me and the lads are worried it might be the last as well. We'll try not to drink all the Estrella but can't promise lol!

I have seen on twitter that people are saying that can see nothing in Boris Johnsons speech that would mean football at Hallam FC level or just above in the Northern Premier will stop. Only that that bars and club houses must be closed by 10pm and have table service. 
I guess we will find out before the weekend.

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have seen on twitter that people are saying that can see nothing in Boris Johnsons speech that would mean football at Hallam FC level or just above in the Northern Premier will stop. Only that that bars and club houses must be closed by 10pm and have table service. 
I guess we will find out before the weekend.

Yep. Hopefully we'll still be able to go. It's been great to be able to go and watch some live football with mates.

Edited by Steelman
  • Like 1