20/21 KITS!!!

3 minutes ago, pachyderm said:

Are we switching to Under Armor?

The point I was trying to make is that our fans were saying that if we'd gone with a big name brand instead of our current "tinpot" one we wouldn't have had to wait until July for the kits to be released. Southampton's current situation would suggest otherwise.

12 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

The point I was trying to make is that our fans were saying that if we'd gone with a big name brand instead of our current "tinpot" one we wouldn't have had to wait until July for the kits to be released. Southampton's current situation would suggest otherwise.

AAhhh... Got  ya.

I was about to say we've already had to wait before... 

7 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Are all Under Armour kits delayed?

newells_old_boys_2019_umbro_third_kit_1a

newells_old_boys_2019_umbro_third_kit_4.

newells_old_boys_2019_umbro_third_kit_5.

Newell's Old Boys 3rd kit

As a player this kit would drive me crazy.

The league I play in had kits like this, one color on the front and another on the back, for all the teams and no one liked them. 

I can't believe FIFA allows this type of thing. 

Edited by pachyderm
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pachyderm said:

newells_old_boys_2019_umbro_third_kit_1a

newells_old_boys_2019_umbro_third_kit_4.

newells_old_boys_2019_umbro_third_kit_5.

Newell's Old Boys 3rd kit

As a player this kit would drive me crazy.

The league I play in had kits like this, one color on the front and another on the back, for all the teams and no one liked them. 

I can't believe FIFA allows this type of thing. 

It's the badge that would drive me crazy.

• Haha 5

On 01/08/2019 at 08:52, The Night-Owl said:

Alebrijes de Oaxaca - Home, away and third shirts

Mexican second tier team. Alebrijes refers to the colourful folk sculptures made in the Mexican state of Oaxaca, which inspires their colourful kits.

67557184_2498628703530624_21202606033846

67735722_2498628906863937_46579119998149

67338809_2498628800197281_17618545074755

723EE911-23CC-4E92-AC3F-CBAB1090B11D.gif.825bc395f457be329ea3db13e51c526c.gif

• Haha 1

On 14/08/2019 at 14:50, punkskaphil said:

Interesting to see that Southampton's Under Armour home and away kits are still only available to pre-order (the third kit is available now). Might be worth remembering this next summer when our fans are in floods of tears because our own kits aren't available to buy until July.

Just because Under Armour have failed to deliver for Southampton, it doesn't mean our approach of late has been spot on.

An mid-1980s Spurs-esque Quilmes Atlético Club's new home shirt by Hummel

68527071_2972807526069584_74308923294996

QAC is an Argentine club based in the Quilmes district of Buenos Aires. They're the oldest existing club of Argentina still competing in official tournaments, having been founded in 1887. They currently play in the Primera B Nacional, the second division of the Argentinian football.

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Where did I say it had been spot on?

You didn't but you did say it is worth bearing in mind for our fans who are in 'floods of tears' if our kit is not available until mid-July, suggesting that their is nothing to worry about and your previous posts in others threads on the subject also suggest you think the approach was fine.

42 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You didn't but you did say it is worth bearing in mind for our fans who are in 'floods of tears' if our kit is not available until mid-July, suggesting that their is nothing to worry about and your previous posts in others threads on the subject also suggest you think the approach was fine.

Many people were suggesting that if we’d gone for a name brand we wouldn’t have any problems. I’m merely pointing out that name brands have problems too.

You’re right though: I do think getting the kits out in mid-July is fine. I think that anyone who feels so entitled that a mid-July release isn’t good enough for them is frankly pathetic. I didn’t think it was good enough the other year when the kit wasn’t available until we’ll after the season had begun, and I was very clear about that at the time.

5 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Many people were suggesting that if we’d gone for a name brand we wouldn’t have any problems. I’m merely pointing out that name brands have problems too.

You’re right though: I do think getting the kits out in mid-July is fine. I think that anyone who feels so entitled that a mid-July release isn’t good enough for them is frankly pathetic. I didn’t think it was good enough the other year when the kit wasn’t available until we’ll after the season had begun, and I was very clear about that at the time.

Fair enough. I tend to disagree, I don't see why it should be so difficult to plan a release for the start of the school holidays and certainly for the Owls in the Park event to maximise sales. Not worth losing the plot over but as you say, with us there was perhaps more of a fear factor of not having a kit for the season start due to past problems.

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough. I tend to disagree, I don't see why it should be so difficult to plan a release for the start of the school holidays and certainly for the Owls in the Park event to maximise sales. Not worth losing the plot over but as you say, with us there was perhaps more of a fear factor of not having a kit for the season start due to past problems.

Having worked in the sportswear industry for fifteen years, I can tell you it’s not as simple as the club planning a release. Unless the club significantly stalled on signing off, or they changed designs at a late stage, it’s very unlikely that they would be the reason for the kits not being released by OITP. Once the club has signed off on designs and costs are agreed, it’s then in the hands of the manufacturers, and then finally the shipping and (often) customs process. Any number of glitches can happen during the process that can push delivery back which are completely outside the club’s control, and it can happen with any manufacturer.

We’ve worked with adidas, Nike, Puma, New Balance and others and it’s extremely common for delivery to be missed, and in many cases the product - which is sometimes up to two years in the making - is pulled completely at the last minute. 

Edited by punkskaphil