Lee Bullen - "Never Be A 'Yes' Man"

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 14.51.11.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's Lee Bullen gave his opinions on working with Garry Monk whilst talking recently to Pars TV

"Working with Garry is great," Bullen told Pars TV.

"He's a fantastic lad, he's got good ideas.

"We're of a similar age so we've got similar ideas on the way things should go.

"My role, I feel, as an assistant coach is never, ever undermine your head coach, always support and work with them, but never be a 'yes man'.

"Ultimately the manager makes the final decision.

"But I think it's so important you give your opinions and have your debates here and there, but ultimately support what the manager does."

PS - Many of these recent topics on Owlstalk have come from things that Dom Howson has picked out, found out, or discovered from things like Sheffield Wednesday  interviews, books etc

He's doing a great job at the Examiner so go check his stuff out. There's no horrific website like The Star, it's easy to read, and his stuff is extremely interesting so big shout out to Dom.

Read Dom Howson's article here 👉 https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/garry-monk-coach-sheffield-wednesday-18265075

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 14.51.11.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's Lee Bullen gave his opinions on working with Garry Monk whilst talking recently to Pars TV

"Working with Garry is great," Bullen told Pars TV.

"He's a fantastic lad, he's got good ideas.

"We're of a similar age so we've got similar ideas on the way things should go.

"My role, I feel, as an assistant coach is never, ever undermine your head coach, always support and work with them, but never be a 'yes man'.

"Ultimately the manager makes the final decision.

"But I think it's so important you give your opinions and have your debates here and there, but ultimately support what the manager does."

PS - Many of these recent topics on Owlstalk have come from things that Dom Howson has picked out, found out, or discovered from things like Sheffield Wednesday  interviews, books etc

He's doing a great job at the Examiner so go check his stuff out. There's no horrific website like The Star, it's easy to read, and his stuff is extremely interesting so big shout out to Dom.

Read Dom Howson's article here 👉 https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/garry-monk-coach-sheffield-wednesday-18265075

Having fantastic ideas is great, put them into practice successfully appears to be an issue.

Do people of the same age automatically have the same ideas?

PS - agree on Dom, he does does appear to be much more active in his new role, both in terms of 1st hand interviews and 2nd hand stuff that he has sourced. 

Growing up in the era of the Green Un being an automatic choice for local football news it is sad the way The Star has gone but they have failed badly in adapting to the digital age.

1 minute ago, Burnsie said:

Based on?

Based on nothing more than people online have said he is so it must be true?

1 minute ago, meggoisgod said:

Time he went along with the manager and all the players bar fletcher

Sounds sensible, I can just imagine Fletcher will be more than eager to sign a new contract when we tell him we have got rid of all the players, all the coaching staff and so only he and a few academy players remain and we don't know whether or not we will be under a transfer embargo before the new season as yet.......

On 14/05/2020 at 08:59, lanzaroteowl said:

I would like to think that there is a footballer in there.

£4M spent on him.

Not showed too much yet but we will be short of bodies come summer. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sounds sensible, I can just imagine Fletcher will be more than eager to sign a new contract when we tell him we have got rid of all the players, all the coaching staff and so only he and a few academy players remain and we don't know whether or not we will be under a transfer embargo before the new season as yet.......

Ok let's keep them all on and continue to be a complete laughing stock...time for serious changes. This lot are a disgrace

4 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Ok let's keep them all on and continue to be a complete laughing stock...time for serious changes. This lot are a disgrace

I was being a bit facetious, I agree we need a clear out and a change of manager just not sure they all need to go and sadly I think keeping hold of Fletcher is a wish we won't see granted.

I really wouldn't care if I never saw any of them again...even Baz, fletch nando etc

Lockdown without football  has been a relief as opposed to a hardship 

Dont trust the manager, coaching staff players or chairman

Apart from that we're in great shape 🤣😆😥

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

PS - agree on Dom, he does does appear to be much more active in his new role, both in terms of 1st hand interviews and 2nd hand stuff that he has sourced. 

Growing up in the era of the Green Un being an automatic choice for local football news it is sad the way The Star has gone but they have failed badly in adapting to the digital age.

Yeah massively.

The Star is dying a death. Big time.

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, meggoisgod said:

.I would think the 12 months of 2019 our record was very good probably one of the best in our league , since mid jan to mid march we've been on a terrible run and changes need to be made but laughing stock ..nah .

Never understand when people say our club is a laughing stock, 'this lot are a disgrace', 'get rid of the lot of em'

All just cliche's that get repeated when fans get frustrated but can't say why in any detail or with any facts 

Just ranting and shouting at bus stops

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Burnsie said:

Based on?

To me it just seems like he is, especially the way Jos dropped Westwood and Hutchinson and Bullen brought them straight back in, he would do it again I imagine. I get that Jos and Garry were/are the managers but from the outside to me it doesn't seem like Lee is raising his concerns. For me Bullen should have gone with Carlos or been put back to the youth setup, for me he is more of a coach in the traditional sense.

6 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

To me it just seems like he is, especially the way Jos dropped Westwood and Hutchinson and Bullen brought them straight back in, he would do it again I imagine. 

That to me demonstrates that Lee is his own man and does things his way

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LittleG
42 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That to me demonstrates that Lee is his own man and does things his way

To me it demonstrates that Bullen will go along with whatever the manager at the time wants, but will change if he is put in charge; therefore a "yes" man. I liked Lee as a player but not sure what he brings as a coach.

13 minutes ago, LittleG said:

To me it demonstrates that Bullen will go along with whatever the manager at the time wants, but will change if he is put in charge; therefore a "yes" man. I liked Lee as a player but not sure what he brings as a coach.

So Bullen should have somehow stopped the manger picking the team?!?