Bloated Squad..

2 hours ago, cowl said:

I think that's Richie Barker just in front of Big Ron. Three to the right of him I think is Leroy Chambers, and two on from there is Ryan Jones. At the far right I think is Brian Linighan.

I recognize the faces of a lot of them actually but I can't quite remember their names.

Richie Barker was a couple of school years behind these boys and was beefier than the lad on the front row.

49 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Leroy Chambers had a phenomenal goalscoring record at junior level, whatever happened to him?

Saw him score against Deepcar St Johns junior school from the half way line when he was 9 years old (Beckham style). The rest of us barley had enough strength to float a lofted cross into the box, mind them size 4 mitre balls were like a lump of lead. Like you say though "phenomenal talent".

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Pretty sure you're right

Take those away though and look again at how many players are in the photo

They’ve done that old trick of running from one side of the picture to the other as the ancient camera was panning round slowly. If you look closely, half of them appear at both ends.

Or perhaps not...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, cowl said:

That must've been taken on one of the first days back training (and certainly before the season started given that Atkinson's on the photo).

Quite a number of those first team players had left by the time the season started (or did soon after), and a fair number in the home top were youth team graduates that were nowhere near at the time. And obviously all the lads in the away strip were youth team players.

We actually used only 21 players that season and that includes Anderson, Watson, MacKenzie, and Harkes - all of whom were signed after the photo was taken.

‘Bloated’ is the opposite word you'd use for our actual squad that season, though I suppose at the time the photo was taken it was still going through the process of fat-trimming.

The poster says 1990-91 season on it - Atkinson was with us for the whole of that season.

The front row were youth players but it still looks like a big squad considering you could only name 2 or 3 subs at that time. They did the job though!

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The poster says 1990-91 season on it - Atkinson was with us for the whole of that season.

The front row were youth players but it still looks like a big squad considering you could only name 2 or 3 subs at that time. They did the job though!

I was actually referring to Dalian - and only realized my mistake after I could no longer edit. I mistook Mark Taylor for him.

Since Williams was signed as Atkinson's replacement, I suppose the clue was already there.