Bloated Squad..

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
1 minute ago, Stoop said:

Imagine telling some of the current lot that they’ve got to sit on the floor, would be hell on

Some wouldn’t need to sit - Bannan, Lee, FF, Harris...

Guest wilyfox

They would have been earning a mere fraction of what our current lot do. Bloated squads are far too costly these days. Every year under DC we end up with a squad of 30. Wasteful. 

That front row look like ball boys. I’ve always said the squad was too big, and could never understand why we needed a thirty something back up for every position. Most squads these days will have one or two players who can cover several positions, players like Sam Hutchinson.

That must've been taken on one of the first days back training (and certainly before the season started given that Atkinson's on the photo).

Quite a number of those first team players had left by the time the season started (or did soon after), and a fair number in the home top were youth team graduates that were nowhere near at the time. And obviously all the lads in the away strip were youth team players.

We actually used only 21 players that season and that includes Anderson, Watson, MacKenzie, and Harkes - all of whom were signed after the photo was taken.

‘Bloated’ is the opposite word you'd use for our actual squad that season, though I suppose at the time the photo was taken it was still going through the process of fat-trimming.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

7AADE36E-E329-4B67-8AD0-6F3A18221313.jpeg

If you think the squad is bloated this season, take a look at this...

Indeed but what did this squad achieve in 1990/91 then compare their achievement to that of our current bloated squad

Sheff Wed 1990/91                                                           Sheffield Wed 2019/20

Division 2 promotion                                                         Division 2 (Champ) - currently 15th place

League Cup: Winners                                                       League Cup Third Round

FA Cup Fifth Round                                                          FA Cup Fifth Round

Top Scorer: David Hirst 32 goals                                      Top Scorer Steven Fletcher 13

Average Attendance 26,604                                              Average Attendance 23,773

The 1990/91 team then went on to be the start of a golden era for the Owls, up to the end of the decade when we were relegated from the top flight, I don't kind of think the current team we have will even be here next season and I think a golden era for the current team is a long time away. I just hope I get to see the owls in the top flight again. 

I got to watch world class player play for my team and visit in the other teams, I saw European championship games at Hillsborough and an England international game (all be in a B international against N Ireland). The way things are going currently, I would be happy to see a Wednesday team turn up at home and play for full 90 minutes of a match something they have not done all season. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can anyone identify any of the youngsters in that front row?

I think that's Richie Barker just in front of Big Ron. Three to the right of him I think is Leroy Chambers, and two on from there is Ryan Jones. At the far right I think is Brian Linighan.

I recognize the faces of a lot of them actually but I can't quite remember their names.

1 hour ago, cowl said:

I think that's Richie Barker just in front of Big Ron. Three to the right of him I think is Leroy Chambers, and two on from there is Ryan Jones. At the far right I think is Brian Linighan.

I recognize the faces of a lot of them actually but I can't quite remember their names.

Leroy Chambers had a phenomenal goalscoring record at junior level, whatever happened to him?

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Indeed but what did this squad achieve in 1990/91 then compare their achievement to that of our current bloated squad

Sheff Wed 1990/91                                                           Sheffield Wed 2019/20

Division 2 promotion                                                         Division 2 (Champ) - currently 15th place

League Cup: Winners                                                       League Cup Third Round

FA Cup Fifth Round                                                          FA Cup Fifth Round

Top Scorer: David Hirst 32 goals                                      Top Scorer Steven Fletcher 13

Average Attendance 26,604                                              Average Attendance 23,773

The 1990/91 team then went on to be the start of a golden era for the Owls, up to the end of the decade when we were relegated from the top flight, I don't kind of think the current team we have will even be here next season and I think a golden era for the current team is a long time away. I just hope I get to see the owls in the top flight again. 

I got to watch world class player play for my team and visit in the other teams, I saw European championship games at Hillsborough and an England international game (all be in a B international against N Ireland). The way things are going currently, I would be happy to see a Wednesday team turn up at home and play for full 90 minutes of a match something they have not done all season. 

100% with you mate, our memories are identical.

The  stat that jumps out to me is that such a fantastic team, having an epic season led by our most charismatic ever manager couldn’t manage 3000 more attendees per game than this dreary shower we are watching now.

2 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

100% with you mate, our memories are identical.

The  stat that jumps out to me is that such a fantastic team, having an epic season led by our most charismatic ever manager couldn’t manage 3000 more attendees per game than this dreary shower we are watching now.

I was sat in the Lep end in 1996 watching the Euros as Davel Sukur chipped the god that was Peter Schmeichel.

The one memory that will thankfully never happen again was a red and white kop :bullen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f27qcJLokQ