Fletcher & Rhodes - Impressive

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

People don’t want him to fail, they’ve just seen him fail so consistently. Now you’re saying the only variable required to change him (and the team) into a big success is to pair him with Fletcher.

You need more data or more variables, otherwise you’ve just found an interesting coincidence.

What more variables? We’ve tried every combo.

As for more data there’s only one way to get more, which is by pairing Fletcher and Rhodes once Fletch is fit.

I suppose there’s 3 alternatives:-

1. Never do it, ie convince yourself they would fail, despite the goal-every-34 minute record.

2. Try lots of other combos first. Some new, and some tried and failed. Then, if they don’t work, try Rhodes Fletcher after that.

3. Try it as soon as Fletcher is fit, to see if it was a wonderful freak or a wonderful partnership.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What more variables? We’ve tried every combo.

As for more data there’s only one way to get more, which is by pairing Fletcher and Rhodes once Fletch is fit.

I suppose there’s 3 alternatives:-

1. Never do it, ie convince yourself they would fail, despite the goal-every-34 minute record.

2. Try lots of other combos first. Some new, and some tried and failed. Then, if they don’t work, try Rhodes Fletcher after that.

3. Try it as soon as Fletcher is fit, to see if it was a wonderful freak or a wonderful partnership.

More variables = formations, other players in support etc. Three games is not enough to identify why you’ve found the results you have. That’s a fact and there’s no escaping it. It could be true for a variety of reasons other than his strike partner or it could just be a total coincidence. 

You missed the fourth option which would be to use our eyes and a wealth of data over Rhodes’ entire time with us to inform our thinking, which is that he’s just not very good. That’s what managers do, that’s what the statisticians that work for our manager will have already done.

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Why do you care which of the two did better in a particular game? Why do you care why something works? Isn’t it enough that it works?

Look around on OT today, at all the different combos fans are saying we should try. Yet heres a combo that has been tried and has worked fantastically.

Its almost as if people want Rhodes to fail.

I don’t want and have never wanted Rhodes to fail; I want him to be a roaring success and to fire us to promotion. The sad fact is that he has failed and failed miserably at that.  

The combo of Rhodes and Fletcher hasn’t worked fantastically at all. The general consensus was that Fletcher was in imperious form - he and Bannan (who was also imperious) were the main reason for the goals and the wins pre-Christmas period.  

The only combinations that have worked fantastically were Fletcher/Hooper (mid Carlos reign) and Nuhiu/Joao (at the start of Jos’s stint) - there is no doubt about that; everyone recognised and acknowledged those combos. 

I think it’s somewhat telling that Rhodes is out if the picture yet again. Monk has tried him in the team and it hasn’t worked other than the Forest game. 

Sorry. 

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I don’t want and have never wanted Rhodes to fail; I want him to be a roaring success and to fire us to promotion. The sad fact is that he has failed and failed miserably at that.  

The combo of Rhodes and Fletcher hasn’t worked fantastically at all. The general consensus was that Fletcher was in imperious form - he and Bannan (who was also imperious) were the main reason for the goals and the wins pre-Christmas period.  

The only combinations that have worked fantastically were Fletcher/Hooper (mid Carlos reign) and Nuhiu/Joao (at the start of Jos’s stint) - there is no doubt about that; everyone recognised and acknowledged those combos. 

I think it’s somewhat telling that Rhodes is out if the picture yet again. Monk has tried him in the team and it hasn’t worked other than the Forest game. 

Sorry. 

18 goals from 612 minutes in partnership.

If that’s not “worked fantastically”,  what is?

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Looking at the stats and four managers have tried to get a tune out of Rhodes and they’ve all failed. 

Does this prove that all four managers were failures or that Rhodes isn’t very good... or neither.

🤷🏻‍♂️

This is about a partnership.

He’s failed with everyone else, but with Fletcher it’s been a rediculous success WHEN USED.

Answer me this...

7th Dec Owls 2-1 Brentford 

11th Dec Derby 1-1 Owls

14th Dec Forest 0-4 Owls

All 7 goals by Fletcher and Rhodes in tandem.

22nd Dec Bristol C v Owls

If Monk had split up a fit Fletcher and Rhodes, what would you think of him?

They haven’t played together since, because Monk was robbed of Fletcher by his bug and knee. (Apart from 30 mins v Hull).

Aren’t you even curious how this partnership could flourish? Bet Fletcher is.

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

18 goals from 612 minutes in partnership.

If that’s not “worked fantastically”,  what is?

Oh dear. As you pointed out yourself, these are team goals; many factors will have contributed to this.  You keep at it though mate. You’re obviously convinced that you’re right. I respectfully disagree. 

24 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

This is about a partnership.

He’s failed with everyone else, but with Fletcher it’s been a rediculous success WHEN USED.

Answer me this...

7th Dec Owls 2-1 Brentford 

11th Dec Derby 1-1 Owls

14th Dec Forest 0-4 Owls

All 7 goals by Fletcher and Rhodes in tandem.

22nd Dec Bristol C v Owls

If Monk had split up a fit Fletcher and Rhodes, what would you think of him?

They haven’t played together since, because Monk was robbed of Fletcher by his bug and knee. (Apart from 30 mins v Hull).

Aren’t you even curious how this partnership could flourish? Bet Fletcher is.

It’s about a partnership for you. I’m saying there has to be more to it than that. 

Like, there literally has to be.

Personally I’ve looked at the first half stats for Rhodes and Fletcher v Forest and I’m wondering why Rhodes didn’t score three in the second half.

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

It’s about a partnership for you. I’m saying there has to be more to it than that. 

Like, there literally has to be.

Personally I’ve looked at the first half stats for Rhodes and Fletcher v Forest and I’m wondering why Rhodes didn’t score three in the second half.

Sorry but that’s silly

2 hours ago, steveraper said:

You'r right, Holmowl - the two examples are to prove a point ... they go to show, with such a small sample, a biased sample at that, you can probably find lots of different correlations - none of them are significant, which means they're likely to be just random. Who knows - they might be the most prolific partnership ever seen in Wednesday shirts ... but the small sample can't tell you that.

Cheers.

Why biased?

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

It may sound ridiculous but we may not see Rhodes or winnall in a Wednesday shirt again. Winnall will be released at the end of the season and I expect that we will try and negotiate an early settlement for Rhodes. Both are clearly not good enough.

We are sat on a 10m loss. 

Monk found/fell upon a way to use him which saw us score and win. 

Of all the foolhardy financial decisions we’ve made in the last five seasons, not seeing if we can eat into that £10million would be right up there.

Imagine, it continues to work, and his price tag goes from zero to £4 or £5m.