Fletcher & Rhodes - Impressive

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What don’t you like about the partnership that has seen the team score 8 goals at a rate of one every 33 minutes? With the two partners scoring 7 of the 8?

I remember Andy Pearce scoring in 3 consecutive games in January 1994, but got only 1 in his other 80 appearances.

I remember Dominic Iorfa scoring 3 in his first 7 games for us, then 1 in 32 since.

I remember Lawrie Madden scoring 3 in 5 games during October 1983, but got only 2 in his other 256 appearances.

I remember Andy Sinton scoring 3 goals in his first 2 games in September 1993, then 0 in the other 63.

I remember Nigel Pearson scoring 12 goals in 51 games during 1990/1 but only 8 in his other 166 appearances.

I remember Regi Blinker scoring 2 on his debut in March 1996, then only 1 in his other 44 appearances.

Welcome to the world of outliers in statistics.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What don’t you like about the partnership that has seen the team score 8 goals at a rate of one every 33 minutes? With the two partners scoring 7 of the 8?

Apart from a completely unforeseen and out of character Hattrick the above had a lot more to do with Fletcher than Rhodes

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Rhodes only contributed goal wise in one game.  Did he give any assists or was in the build up for any of Fletchers goals?

I so much want Rhodes to get back to somewhere near to what he's capable of achieving but no evidence of it really happening.  Even if he got halfway there it would be a start.

Doesn’t matter a jot how they make the team score. It’s enough that they do make the team score.

Ive absolutely no idea if the 8 goals in 266 minutes would continue, but flip me it’s got to be tried. What other partnership comes even close?

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I remember Andy Pearce scoring in 3 consecutive games in January 1994, but got only 1 in his other 80 appearances.

I remember Dominic Iorfa scoring 3 in his first 7 games for us, then 1 in 32 since.

I remember Lawrie Madden scoring 3 in 5 games during October 1983, but got only 2 in his other 256 appearances.

I remember Andy Sinton scoring 3 goals in his first 2 games in September 1993, then 0 in the other 63.

I remember Nigel Pearson scoring 12 goals in 51 games during 1990/1 but only 8 in his other 166 appearances.

I remember Regi Blinker scoring 2 on his debut in March 1996, then only 1 in his other 44 appearances.

No way do you remember all of those!  :duntmatter:

Just now, Holmowl said:

Doesn’t matter a jot how they make the team score. It’s enough that they do make the team score.

Ive absolutely no idea if the 8 goals in 266 minutes would continue, but flip me it’s got to be tried. What other partnership comes even close?

Not convincing me. How about Fletcher and Cruze?  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

So after two or three games Paul Warhurst should have been put back in defence?

Why wouldn’t you want to try something that has worked amazingly well?

I know, let’s spend the next six games trying four or five other combinations that have either never worked or not yet been tried.

Seeing Rhodes, Nuhiu or Winnall in the starting 11 make me throw up a little in my mouth.

However, with Rhodes I then think "maybe this is THE game".  And it happened at Forest.

My point being, with Rhodes there is the remote chance a game like Forest occurs.  With Nuhiu or Winnall there is as close to no chance of that ever happening as you can get without it being zero chance.

Edited by oz_owl

Just now, oz_owl said:

Seeing Rhodes, Nuhiu or Winnall in the starting 11 make me throw up a little in my mouth.

However, with Rhodes I then think "maybe this is THE game".  And it happened at Forest.

My point being, with Rhodes there is the remote chance a game like Forest occurs.  With Nuhiu or Winnall there is as close to no chance of that ever happening as you can get without it being zero chance.

Middlesbrough away.

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I think I've got a pretty shrewd idea...

:dry:

Righto let’s look at your logic.

Their record as a partnership this season:-

P6. W3. D2. L1. GF8. GA3. Pts11

and the only time we “lost” when playing as a pair was that 30 minutes when Fletcher came on home to Hull after he’d spent 10 days with Delhi Belly.

But you ignore results and back a hunch?

14 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Apart from a completely unforeseen and out of character Hattrick the above had a lot more to do with Fletcher than Rhodes

And why does that matter?

(even assuming you are correct)

With Hirst & Bright, Keegan & Toshack, Hooper & Fletcher, Shearer and Sheringham etc etc etc etc...who gives a fig which of the partners was the main reason for it working?

Fletcher & Rhodes has worked this season. Why try to find excuses not to try it when it becomes available once more?