Weak mindset and no game management

10 hours ago, Tom22709 said:

Teams got a losing mentality, it’s been there since FF missed that pen and it’s hard to get rid of. 

Since he missed that pen it's been down hill, it picked up under Bruce and that's something Monk has to re install in the team.

He has yet to have a transfer window so hasn't got his own personal in yet so shouldn't be judged to harshly.

I dont see it so much as a weak mindset,more complacency,the chairman keeps giving them decent paychecks and extending the deals.

Our transfer policy smacks of weak leadership,weve spurned decent offers for both FF & Reach if the rumours are correct,we spurned 2M for young Hurst,therel be others no doubt as well,all of which hinders natural progression.

9 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

we lack confidence to attack teams

Isn’t that more about the instructions received from the management / coaching staff rather than the players confidence. You presume the players are choosing not to attack. 

What I mean is, if the manager was to set up to attack, say HYPOTHETICALLY 4-2-4, instruct the back 4 to hold a high line and instruct the team to play into the wingers as quickly and often as possible then we would, by definition attack teams. 

Confidence would become a factor if, for instance, the players took too many touches to play the ball forward or dropped too deep for fear of the opponents pace. 

Many posters have pointed out that this team is largely unchanged since CC. We attacked in his first season but not in his second. We were ultra defensive under Dross (who will ever forget Millwall away). We attacked under Bruce, not so much under Monk. 

Therefore it seems to me that whether we attack or defend depends upon the manager’s philosophy and instructions. Whether we attack or defend WELL depends on the players confidence (and ability)

9 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

We've not had a stand out captain for years. Pearson was perhaps the last time, not someone like Bannan. He has no authority because of his size.

Some of the great captains such as Puyol, Beckenbauer, Maradona, Keane, Bremner and even the late great Bobby Moore were under 6ft so size shouldn’t be a factor with Bannan. 

I can however concede that Bazza’s authority is somewhat weakened by his shredded wheat hairstyle and the infamous Bogeygate. 

80F52412-32AE-4DBB-B837-BBD9436A11DB.jpeg

11 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

I don't think we have a " losing mentality " as we don't lose many games. But getting a win is a struggle most of the time and I think the weak mentality is more about not having the confidence to dictate play and attack teams or to see a game out.

You cant play expansive football without expansive type players,so we play to a shape that best fits the players we have,these players are 4 years older,be nice if someone could translate that for our chairman,otherwise theyl be in mobility scooters.

I just wish Chan would sell up,lovely bloke n all that rounduns,but hes no football man,hes setting himself up to fail

11 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

I dont see it so much as a weak mindset,more complacency,the chairman keeps giving them decent paychecks and extending the deals.

Our transfer policy smacks of weak leadership,weve spurned decent offers for both FF & Reach if the rumours are correct,we spurned 2M for young Hurst,therel be others no doubt as well,all of which hinders natural progression.

I certainly think that our transfer policy needs a altering with regards to what you say and there is some complacency. But I do think there is a weak mindset in the side, as they aren't organised at important times in the game because they panic. For  me it's down to not having the right attitude in games.

11 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Isn’t that more about the instructions received from the management / coaching staff rather than the players confidence. You presume the players are choosing not to attack. 

What I mean is, if the manager was to set up to attack, say HYPOTHETICALLY 4-2-4, instruct the back 4 to hold a high line and instruct the team to play into the wingers as quickly and often as possible then we would, by definition attack teams. 

Confidence would become a factor if, for instance, the players took too many touches to play the ball forward or dropped too deep for fear of the opponents pace. 

Many posters have pointed out that this team is largely unchanged since CC. We attacked in his first season but not in his second. We were ultra defensive under Dross (who will ever forget Millwall away). We attacked under Bruce, not so much under Monk. 

Therefore it seems to me that whether we attack or defend depends upon the manager’s philosophy and instructions. Whether we attack or defend WELL depends on the players confidence (and ability)

I know where we are coming from, but this has happened under three different managers now and so I think it's how the players react to how the opposition deals with our formation and tactics. A lot of the time, if the formation and tactics isn't working, they panic and then go deep. Roy Keane was correct when he said if a game isn't going well, it's up to the players to sort it out on the pitch, not the manager. This is the case with the team. Often the manager is blamed, when it's the players who can't adapt to a situation.

Edited by Mick De Lyons

11 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Some of the great captains such as Puyol, Beckenbauer, Maradona, Keane, Bremner and even the late great Bobby Moore were under 6ft so size shouldn’t be a factor with Bannan. 

I can however concede that Bazza’s authority is somewhat weakened by his shredded wheat hairstyle and the infamous Bogeygate. 

80F52412-32AE-4DBB-B837-BBD9436A11DB.jpeg

I think the size of a player makes a different, but obviously it's more down to his personality and character. It's the strong characters and the most respected in the dressing room that make the captains. Bannan is some way short in that department.....excuse the pun lol

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2019 at 12:47, slinger208b said:

Interesting observation. 

I don’t quite understand the reference to Carlos because I remember feeling confident at the end of matches that a lead would be maintained or that a winner would be scored as they were well organised and applied the game plan through to the end more often than not...

I agree - the first 2 seasons with Carlos - I always had the felling we were going to win even when we were behind (ah the good old days).

• Like 1

Guest The Horse

Interesting.

The odd thing is that in Carlos' first 18 months, we were slaying our demons every week.

'We play well against the good teams but get beat by the bottom sides' - We started to beat the bottom sides.

'We never get a result at Blackburn etc..'

We got wins over traditional bogey sides.

'It'll be typical Wednesday if we let one in now.' 

We had the best defensive record in our history.

And as much of that team remains, why are we regressing? Where has that mentality gone? It's a good question.

I don't believe in the phrase 'typical Wednesday' or the like. 

If you start to believe you're a loser, then you will become a loser.

I reckon, like someone else said above, that the players know that this 'era' is coming to an end. The band is splitting up.

They know they've collectively failed to get promotion and this is their last chance to prove they can do it - which results in the panicky endings with just a goal in it.

Monk called it. He said the players get emotional.

They're only human and I think they genuinely want to give us what we want as a leaving present. Ergo, they're putting pressure on themselves.

Solution? Monk is a cool hand.

Either put a team to the sword with power play like he tried to do on Saturday or if that doesn't work, know your jobs and stick to it.

Indeed, an equally cool Captain needs to be out there.

Bannan is too feisty and gets into the drama too much.

Lees just seems too quiet or not intelligent enough to read the context of how the game is panning out.

Borner? Cool head AND seems intelligent.

Guest Ferkorf

Why do we let Harris go missing in games?

Teams clearly know how to deal with him and I'm surprised they don't do the little things like let him switch wings just to get the opposition something else to think about.

Harris is quality there were times Saturday he had 2 men on him and we weren't taking advantage.

Some of the substitutions or sometimes even lack of have been bizarre at best.

I like monk but home games we could beat anyone within reason of course, to set up defensively is a bit poor.

As for the players not been confident since the play off semi final well thats a load of rubbish. Theres plenty of confidence in that team we are just missing a few pieces to the puzzle. The main piece is a striker that can bang them in consistently.

Edited by Ferkorf