Weak mindset and no game management

3 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

You can have the greatest players in the world, but if you have a weak mindset and no game management, then even the best teams would struggle. We have a decent side with some good players, but if you don't have those two basic attributes then success will not be able to be attained. The scenario in the last two games have been happening since Carlos came to the club and its essentially the same set of players. Roughly its Westwood, Palmer, Fox, Lees, Hutchinson, Lee, Bannan, Reach, Forestieri, Fletcher, Nuhiu etc. 

The difference between the teams in this league are very small, as the quality is about the same. So it's the small things that make the difference and those are having a formation and tactics that suit the players, confidence, a strong mentality and consistency. Most of the successful teams in recent years have these attributes. In this era, a team attacks and defends together, so the team have to be organised and have some detailed game management to cope with different scenarios. This seems to be missing with regards to the current set of players at the club.

We have had at least three managers since Carlos and the squad have roughly stayed the same. So I would imagine that most of these managers ( not Jos ) talked about formations, tactics, playing with pace, pressing the opponent and about being consistence, being confident and knowing a game plan and game management. Yet these things are still happening after four or five seasons. You can only keep saying the same things to the players, to realise this group of players can't essentially do the basics on a consistent basis.

As an example, Tom Lees hasn't played for a while and so there has been a different centre back pairing. Tom Lees wasn't playing at Cardiff, but was yesterday and the same thing happened, in terms game management. Hutchinson was I believe playing at Cardiff but not yesterday, but the same thing happened. So you can swap the players around and the same thing happens. Not taking chances, conceding late minute and a game management that seems to go out of the window. For me it's pointing to fact that this group players don't have what it takes to get the successful the club are trying to achieve.

What is your opinion ? 

Stupid post give Monk a couple of transfer windows and a pre season to get views across then post the above 

47 minutes ago, marshy said:

7 of the 11 that played yesterday we're involved in the play off final v Hull. Talk about a side that needs breaking up. 

Absolutely and it's the same ten players who have figured of the last three to five seasons. Many are on long contact on fantastic wages and they've become too confortable. Its always the same excuse " were put it right last week "

48 minutes ago, Animis said:

We need the captain to step up - he needs to control and motivate/instruct the players - we left 8 Swansea players in the danger area to be marked by 7 'defenders' at the corner - Bannans' just covering the edge of the six yard box for the fluffed corner. Don't know who is suppose to be marking no 19 - he essentially is left to challenge Westwood who is less than convincing trying to punch the ball - terrible game management and 2 points given away :

image.thumb.png.522c055c4b90767a33cf8092360a5d7e.png

We've not had a stand out captain for years. Pearson was perhaps the last time, not someone like Bannan. He has no authority because of his size.

51 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Exactly. We have gone stale . The majority of our players had to play offs and failed to get up ,but now they are two or three years older and aren't going to improve.

This is why there will be big changes in the summer. Many of the big earners will be leaving, ie Fletcher 

46 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Overall we are doing a little better than I expected. What perhaps is a little frustrating is that against Leeds we genuinely looked like strong top six candidates but perhaps it's best to see that as a token of what may be possible next year rather than the benchmark for this one. 

Yesterday to me was less about game management and more about imbalance. With just Lee and Bannan in the middle and a centre defence playing deep we looked vulnerable after an excellent opening. It's the ancient dilemma of how do you balance the team so it attacks freely but can fight its corner defensively. It would be unfair to say this team has never begun to solve it. Two top six finishes contradict that. But it hasn't ever been fully cracked and Monk hasn't quite found hi answer yet. If I knew the answer I would change job. 

I do think there is a lack of leadership on field and Lees is lacking there. Bannan isn't the best alternative. To Lees is currently fourth best centre half at the club and the captaincy needs a serious look in the light of that 

There is a lack of on field leadership too

It's margins really. If we've win those last two games and were 3rd and not 7th, fans would have been happy. But two lapses in the Blackburn game and one yesterday creates a different atmosphere with the fans. The general feeling is that why can't it just work out for a change. Where Blackburn don't score in the last minute and Swansea do the same. But it does happen and that is why you get the frustration.

1 hour ago, marshy said:

7 of the 11 that played yesterday we're involved in the play off final v Hull. Talk about a side that needs breaking up. 

Yep, and as I said in the other thread 10 of the 11 players who finished the game yesterday were here the following season when we finished 4th and were excellent at hanging on to narrow wins. But yesterday it was clueless panic stations, and other than the full backs the other 8 were all regular starters back then as well. So what's changed mentally? 

30 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Stupid post give Monk a couple of transfer windows and a pre season to get views across then post the above 

Stupid answer more like. I haven't criticised Monk once in my post, but have said that our mindset and game management are lacking. It's obvious that Monk needs time. Other people may post stupid posts on here, but I'm not among them. 

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Exactly. We have gone stale . The majority of our players had to play offs and failed to get up ,but now they are two or three years older and aren't going to improve.

Absolutely hit the nail right on the head there about the squad going stale.The Big earners need to be shipped out of S6 ASAP so that GM Can start to remodel the team in the way that wants Jordan Rhodes especially.:tango:

6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yep, and as I said in the other thread 10 of the 11 players who finished the game yesterday were here the following season when we finished 4th and were excellent at hanging on to narrow wins. But yesterday it was clueless panic stations, and other than the full backs the other 8 were all regular starters back then as well. So what's changed mentally? 

The team has altered to a degree, players are older, injuries have taken a hold, as an example Lee. Also the optimism of the first season together has been replaced by stagnation after years of not getting to the desired place.

Actually playing you next worries me, Livermore and Sawyers both have a 1 match ban because of yellow limit. somewhat gutting our midfield and we need to pull away from the pack a bit.

1 minute ago, Baggiehy said:

Actually playing you next worries me, Livermore and Sawyers both have a 1 match ban because of yellow limit. somewhat gutting our midfield and we need to pull away from the pack a bit.

If you're not winning in injury time don't panic. We did the same at your place last year as yesterday despite you having 10 men, somehow allowing an injury time corner to land at the feet of an attacker in the 6 yard box, we didn't learn anything from that terrible defending. 

12 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Agreed totally. One question i loved to see answered is ' What on earth possessed us to sign a player for £8m that has been totally out of form for the last 2/3 seasons previously? :tango:

I know, madness mate. There are too many sitting on big contacts and not doing a great deal. That's football these days, it's money chasing average quality.

5 minutes ago, Baggiehy said:

Don't worry mate, we will find a way to make a mess if we're winning or drawing lol.

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

If you're not winning in injury time don't panic. We did the same at your place last year as yesterday despite you having 10 men, somehow allowing an injury time corner to land at the feet of an attacker in the 6 yard box, we didn't learn anything from that terrible defending. 

Beat me to it lol !!

Just now, Mick De Lyons said:

I know, madness mate. There are too many sitting on big contacts and not doing a great deal. That's football these days, it's money chasing average quality.

And that's why we can't bring in the extra quality needed to turn us into Top 6 Outfit especially after watching the last 3 fixtures.It's the signing of some many of these average players on big contracts is the reason why we've nearly fallen foul of P/S or FFP rules.The player recruitment policy needs a complete overhaul in my view.:tango: