Flat back 4

Guest Hillsborough Mole

The defensive players lack confidence on the ball and are not comfortable under pressure. I think routinely playing ball out from defence is a mistake because the opposition just push up onto them. Much better if we vary approach. I also prefered going to back 4 as many of ceetral defence are non too quick and because of this we defend deep and iflose ball are vulnerable. Back 4 gives more options and we looked a betterbalanced outfit.

Problem is appart from Lees and Thorniley not sure we have others who can play in a succesful pairing at Championship level.

2 hours ago, Quist said:

The defensive players lack confidence on the ball and are not comfortable under pressure. I think routinely playing ball out from defence is a mistake because the opposition just push up onto them. Much better if we vary approach. I also prefered going to back 4 as many of ceetral defence are non too quick and because of this we defend deep and iflose ball are vulnerable. Back 4 gives more options and we looked a betterbalanced outfit.

Problem is appart from Lees and Thorniley not sure we have others who can play in a succesful pairing at Championship level.

Yes, out of all our options, they seem to be the best pairing Only worry, aside from the distribution, is they aren’t particularly tall for modern day centre backs

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, out of all our options, they seem to be the best pairing Only worry, aside from the distribution, is they aren’t particularly tall for modern day centre backs

I sit low down level with the Kop 18 yard line. 

When Millwall took a couple of attacking free-kicks both sets of players were queuing up around the 18 yard line. The Millwall players absolutely dwarfed our defenders. With quality delivery we would be helpless. 

The 6’3 Hector or similar would help. 

The players looked a lot more comfortable in a four, especially Lees and Palmer 

We just don’t seem to have the players to play 3 and 5 at the back

The only problem with a back 4 though, is where does that leave Van Aken as he can’t be trusted to play centre half in a pair

3 minutes ago, Stoop said:

The players looked a lot more comfortable in a four, especially Lees and Palmer 

We just don’t seem to have the players to play 3 and 5 at the back

The only problem with a back 4 though, is where does that leave Van Aken as he can’t be trusted to play centre half in a pair

I feel JVA should be able to play left back too, of all the players in our squad I don’t think he’s the one we need to base the formation on. 

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I feel JVA should be able to play left back too, of all the players in our squad I don’t think he’s the one we need to base the formation on. 

Yeah maybe he can be like Reda

Guest Hillsborough Mole
40 minutes ago, Stoop said:

where does that leave Van Aken as he can’t be trusted

Hopefully nowhere

We played a back four v Brentford so, whilst I agree it’s probably the best way to go, it’s not necessarily the answer to all our problems.

The big difference was that we actually played well the other night whereas on Sunday we were poor.

One slight conundrum with a back four is that if we are looking to bring a player in ideally they would partner Lees. That would mean another left sided CB in addition to Pudil, Thorniley and JVA whereas on the right we really only have Lees and, possibly, Hutchinson.