Flat back 4

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Guest Hillsborough Mole

I hope we never see a back 3 or 5 again with this set of players after that performance last night

The whole team looked more comfortable, Palmer was absolutely brilliant, Thorniley looks like hes been playing there years, Penney looked like our best left back and Lees just marshalled them all like an old pro.

As a result the whole team looked more settled.

Ignoring the last 15 minutes.

Hopefully Jos stops chopping and changing the formation soon and sticks to one he likes. Lees and Batth as a solid centre back pairing with a defensive midfielder in front of them could be good. With energy supplied by Palmer and Penney outside them 

Palmer  Lees  Batth  Penney 

New DM   Bannan  

Agree, suits Palmer and Less, Thornily looked comfortable and Penney did very well. 

It was noticeable our positional play was much better, defensive line tighter re  offside which forced Millwall further bsck up the pitch rather than inviting possession on the edge of our box.

The fluid 6 in front of them mean less attacking pressure and more options to make a pass.

Has to be maintained as a system of play and benchmark for performances 

• Like 1

Lees has always been our best defender at the club.

Lees is better in a back 4... so we should play a back 4. 

Palmer is better at RB than RWB too. 

Thornily always impresses me. Quite a strong looking lad too. 

Lees was guided by Loovens for so long, now Lees is the captain he can guide Thornily.  

Ahhh, the old ‘getting carried away after one decent performance’ :tango:

Agreed Palmer is more comfortable in a back four, but Lees needs a commanding partner alongside and Penney has started one game, a game where he was never put under much pressure.

i still think a back three suits our current personnel a little bit better but a couple of loans could quickly change that. 

31 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Agreed Palmer is more comfortable in a back four, but Lees needs a commanding partner alongside and Penney has started one game, a game where he was never put under much pressure.

i still think a back three suits our current personnel a little bit better but a couple of loans could quickly change that. 

I’d like to see Palmer and Penney given an extended run as full backs in a back four However, Penney’s natural inclination to attack, apparently his strong point, means that he’d probably need a left footed centre back behind him This worked well with Thornley last night. So, if it is Danny Batth, for me, it would be Lees who misses out.

3 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I hope we never see a back 3 or 5 again with this set of players after that performance last night

The whole team looked more comfortable, Palmer was absolutely brilliant, Thorniley looks like hes been playing there years, Penney looked like our best left back and Lees just marshalled them all like an old pro.

As a result the whole team looked more settled.

Ignoring the last 15 minutes.

Agreed. 

It makes the best out of what we have. 

Means we don't have to go out and buy wingbacks because we already have decent fullbacks. 

In central defense I'd be inclined to get someone, yes we have alot of options there but if Lees gets injured we will struggle. 

I'd still like us to bring in a box to box man if Lee can't get fit. 

Lees still looks a bag of nerves to me.

His distribution gets worse and while he defended well at times he needs a big strong commanding player next to him to take the pressure off a bit.

The full backs were full backs!!! I have been sick of seeing these being our main outlet in attack, then expected to defend.

They supported when needs be but didnt bomb forward like idiots. 

Agree that a decent team may have got in more times than not but any chance that Millwall had came from our own errors.

A lot to work on but certainly green shoots of optimism with the set up

Ibe been saying since before they season started that the only back line we can have is 4. That's because of the limitations of the squad. 

Finally the manager did it. Surely as a profile could see that he could not properly play a 3 or 5 back line. He should have realised before they season started. That's his job 

Yep the players looked miles more comfortable playing what was essentially a 442 at times. Everyone knew what they were supposed to do and you could see the confidence in the players. The game can be over complicated at times with tactics and formations, but it is still essentially a very simple game. Put players in positions and a formation they are all comfortable and that's half the battle. I do agree that we need more quality at full back and wide positions, but the young lads did us proud and Palmer was solid too. Hopefully it will be more of the same Saturday too.

1 hour ago, Mrmason69 said:

Ibe been saying since before they season started that the only back line we can have is 4. That's because of the limitations of the squad. 

Finally the manager did it. Surely as a profile could see that he could not properly play a 3 or 5 back line. He should have realised before they season started. That's his job 

To be fair to the man when he came in the back 3/5 worked really well for him.

Infact the couple of times we went with a 4 it didn't come off for us.

It's not to hard to see his reasoning in trying the same thing again this season.

He'd lost some players obviously, but probably wanted to see if it was worth persisting with , with the players he'd still got at his disposal.

He tried it and changed it. Fairt play to him.

Though worth remembering that he changed it at Brentford before yesterday and he took hammer for messing about and meddling with the system.

I'm not sure the man can win.

Mind. Considering he's appraently a puppet and picks the team Chansiri tells him - maybe he shouldn't be getting praise or blame...

5 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Lees was guided by Loovens for so long, now Lees is the captain he can guide Thornily.  

I think it was the other way around last night Thornley was guiding Lees. Looks a proper CB that lad.

Penney is our best left back.

I am not adverse to a back three but again if played properly, think with either the key is the CM in front of them, if its Hutchinson Bannan I think back 4 and back 3 can work depending on the opposition.

31 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think it was the other way around last night Thornley was guiding Lees. Looks a proper CB that lad.

Penney is our best left back.

I am not adverse to a back three but again if played properly, think with either the key is the CM in front of them, if its Hutchinson Bannan I think back 4 and back 3 can work depending on the opposition.

As a pair, yeah they look the most suited Not really tall enough for modern day centre backs though

5 hours ago, paulrs said:

It doesn’t suit our personnel. We don’t have 3 centre halves capable of playing in a 3 and we don’t have 2 wide players capable of playing wingback. For me that’s why we’ve struggled.

Going to a back 4 was the right thing to do. 

7 hours ago, paulrs said:

Ahhh, the old 'getting carried away after 3 poor performances':tango:

WE as a side aren't good enough by a distance to play a back 3, when the wingbacks get pushed back it's soon a full back 5 with an overrun m/f and short up top.

the counter to wingbacks is wide attackers, pushing those wingbacks into FULLbacks, then you get what southgate got off the croats.

9 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

to have effective wingbacks, they need an engine like zico had, and animals in the m/f shutting the opposition ball players down before they can get it out wide. we don't have that.