BREAKING - George Hirst Gone

1 minute ago, MrsHall said:

I think bagged salads have gone downhill...tubbed are the way forward...but...single use plastics? UTO.

Imagine in 1965 if you told a family some of the stuff they'd be buying in 2018?

Bottles of water

Salad in bags
Bread that's been sliced for you
Cheese that's been sliced for you

etc

lol

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Imagine in 1965 if you told a family some of the stuff they'd be buying in 2018?

Bottles of water

Salad in bags
Bread that's been sliced for you
Cheese that's been sliced for you

etc

lol

You're way behind the times!

Sliced bread has been around a lot longer than since '65!

On a slightly more positive note, wonderful news about Borukov.

Wouldn't it be a lovely piece of Karma if GH moving frees up the room for Borukov to be involved with the 1st team and he ends up being the new Alan Shearer!

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

You're way behind the times!

Sliced bread has been around a lot longer than since '65!

What was the best thing before it though?

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Just checked. Sliced bread came in in 1928, the year of "the Great Escape". Coincidence? I don't think so!

Surely the Great Escape came out after WW2?? 

Steve McQueen wasnt even born in 1928

10 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

What was the best thing before it though?

The best thing before sliced bread must be pop up toasters. Pop up toasters are cool. Who needs sliced bread if you have pop up toasters?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

The best thing before sliced bread must be pop up toasters. Pop up toasters are cool. Who needs sliced bread if you have pop up toasters?

If it weren't for the toaster, they'd have never bothered inventing sliced bread. Shame it took them 35 years to figure  out what the machine had been invented for!

Inventor of toasters mate: That looks interested what is it, what does it do?

Inventor of toaster: buggered if I know, I'll think of something eventually

Inventor of toasters mate: Did you see what they've come up with now? Sliced bread, what's that all about? Incidentally what a fantastic escape by Wednesday!

Inventor of toaster: Hmmm.........that's given me an idea!

Edited by Utah Owl

10 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Do the dials on pop up toasters change the amount of time the bread toasts for OR the heat of the toaster on the bread?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Watson said:

The shame is I was really looking forward to watching GH develop into a successful professional player.  Would have been a storyline straight out of Roy of the Rovers.  Now some none descript fans of a none descript club will get the pleasure but won't really realise the backstory. 

Act three of the movie will be George returning when Mr Chansiri leaves and go on to become our greatest ever player (second only to Owen Morrison)

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Reminds me

I never want to see Cheryl Baker off Bucks Fizz on TV anymore

A little bit off tangent hey. Is Cheryl Baker related to George Hirst if not, what the f88k are you talking about. 

2 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

A little bit off tangent hey. Is Cheryl Baker related to George Hirst if not, what the f88k are you talking about. 

It's a toast to the past! Obviously he got burned by Cheryl.

27 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

In the spirit of moving on I'll pass over most of that - other than to say it still surprises me that one poster with 8 posts to his name in the last 12 months - has made (now over 200 posts) since Friday when the news broke.

To be fair , I've recently come back to Owlstalk (you know what that's like)

And within days one of the biggest stories in a long time has broken.

Not just in terms of it being Son of Hirst.

(Though that makes it emotive for the reasons I explained earlier in full which was passed over...)

6 hours ago, DEH9 said:

Ta. 

I'm glad to be back.

David Hirst was indeed my boyhood hero.  I hope that a statement is released and goes unchallenged in which he is cleared of doing anything wrong. Because I like my hero's to stay hero's. 

I want the men to live up to the myth in my head. 

I'm old fashioned like that.  I like to belive in fairytale. 

David Hirst was never the player I wanted to be.  Because I knew I never could. Oh I could copy the way Worthington tackled. I could make sure I kept my head up and was always looking for the next pass like John Sheridan. 

But I never tried to copy David Hirst because to me he was like an alien from another planet. A Superman. 

When he set off on a galloping run, and I saw the familiar hunch of his shoulder , head dipped charging in like a raging bull I knew I was seeing something special. I knew I was seeing something I might never see again.  

When he'd swivel on a six pence and turn and leave defender trailing in his slipstream wrong footed and bewildered as they saw the back of his shirt vanishing into the distance I marvelled. 

When a ball bobbling around was caught with the outside of that left foot and arrowed into the net at record breaking speeds and bulged the netting gloriously and when he leapt to meet a cross and bulleted a header I to the net on a rainy night and the billowing net sent the water exploding like a million tiny diamonds under the spotlights I roared with primal passion that such a magnificent player was playing for my club. And me dads club. And me grandads club. 

When I saw all the other big name strikers come to Hillsborough and fall under his shadow. I knew we'd all once it on all lifetime player. I knew then he'd be the best striker I ever saw.  

When his name was read out on the tannoy id feel my heart soar. 

And when he clattered down the tunnel and out into the brightness I felt like I was witnessing the Superman flying up and basking in the restorative rays of our single sun.

I'm 42 years old. And  the last time I cried was at David Hirsts testimonial. 

And I've had two kids all nd got married since then. 

Yeah that makes me a mad nutter probably. But when yer a kid and you fall in love that first time it's the best and most painful it'll ever get. 

I loved that team. And I loved him. 

I keep posting  because people keep hinting that there's a side that my hero needs to tell.

I want them to. I want him to.

Because I always want him to be my hero. 

David Hirst was my Superman. 

And I always want him to be. 

I want to belive. 

As for why I haven't been on here other than viewing purposes. 

Well what? Mebbe I didn't see any interesting threads. 

Or mebbe I had been staying at me dads and Owlstalk didn't like us both using the same server . Mod who pulled it is still here of yer really want to know. I backed off and let me old man post. Hes retired. On herw more than me. but now I'm back home I'm up and running. So. Sorry it sent yer foil hat fizzing.

I might have made over 200 posts an all. 

Many of them about corned beef pie. Some about salad. Some about trolls.  Some about me being really skint and one about us all being southerners. But aye, agenda.

What is this agenda you think I have incidentally?

Eeeh deary me. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Do the dials on pop up toasters change the amount of time the bread toasts for OR the heat of the toaster on the bread?

Neither - it is how long the bread has been in the cupboard and how much mould you have to scrape off first.