Rob Staton covering SWFC accounts and FFP on Radio Sheffield

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Villas issues go way beyond FFP. 

They have major cash flow problems. Not paying tax bills etc. 

Of course, if Chansiri pulls the plug, then we'd be up a creek without a paddle, but then the same could be said for most clubs outside the Prem. 

That doesn't make it right or mean everything is going swimmingly at Wednesday, but, for now, there is no doomsday scenario. 

Doomsday no, unless Trump taxes Thai tuna fish imports, or Home Office doesn't renew DC's visa, etc.

Stagnation yes - the boredom on here is palpable as skint, FFP- ucked so looking at least 2 years of this dross. 

Relatively, looking at above stated ratios, we are much, much worse off than Villa who have £50 million liquid assets to sell tomorrow.

We have just Fessi. Many on here said owner's scouting contract with Doyen would be a disaster.

And not just Rhodes. We 've signed several well - paid players who never left dressing room (anyone see Urby play?). 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, fred mciver said:

Doomsday no, unless Trump taxes Thai tuna fish imports, or Home Office doesn't renew DC's visa, etc.

Stagnation yes - the boredom on here is palpable as skint, FFP- ucked so looking at least 2 years of this dross. 

Relatively, looking at above stated ratios, we are much, much worse off than Villa who have £50 million liquid assets to sell tomorrow.

We have just Fessi. Many on here said owner's scouting contract with Doyen would be a disaster.

And not just Rhodes. We 've signed several well - paid players who never left dressing room (anyone see Urby play?)

I did - for about 20 minutes wasn't it?

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

And not just Rhodes. We 've signed several well - paid players who never left dressing room (anyone see Urby play?). 

Come back when you're sober. 

• Haha 1

Many Championship clubs are similar in that if the Chairman dropped funding they’d struggle. I don’t get how most people don’t see that Wednesday are in a worse position than most.

1.  We have many players that are either old, injury prone or flops that we couldn’t get rid of for free without subsidising wages.

2. We have few assets we could sell for big bucks due to injury records and the age/profile of the players we have brought in.

3. Whilst we appear likely to scrape through FFP this season it will be absolutely impossible to avoid a breach next season (even if Chansiri keep pumping the money in) without promotion or significant sales.  It goes on a 3 year cycle and the relatively small loss of 15/16 will be replaced with the large loss that we’ll post in 18/19.

People really haven’t got their head around FFP and where Wednesday sit in this.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

Guest Arcadianrocket

The signing of Rhodes was a baffling one in the sense we were desperate for center backs.

Fletcher being handed a 4 year deal was also a strange one. Probably stranger than the signing of Rhodes.

2 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Many Championship clubs are similar in that if the Chairman dropped funding they’d struggle. I don’t get how most people don’t see that Wednesday are in a worse position than most.

1.  We have many players that are either old, injury prone or flops that we couldn’t get rid of for free without subsidising wages.

2. We have few assets we could sell for big bucks due to injury records and the age/profile of the players we have brought in.

3. Whilst we appear likely to scrape through FFP this season it will be absolutely impossible to avoid a breach next season (even if Chansiri keep pumping the money in) without promotion or significant sales.  It goes on a 3 year cycle and the relatively small loss of 15/16 will be replaced with the large loss that we’ll post in 18/19.

People really haven’t got their head around FFP and where Wednesday sit in this.

I know your hoping and praying for DC to fail..However, I for one can't see it happening.  You aren't going to get the chance to ride to the rescue anytime soon.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Saying it like it is equals hoping DC fails.

Owlstalk logic at its best.

Saying it like you want it to be, does not equal saying it like it is.

22 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

On players it’s an opinion.

On the rules of FFP and reading acccounts, it’s fact.

Which of the above is fact or opinion.  You seem to be happy to dress up opinion as fact when it suits.

2016 - £9.755m loss

2017 - £20.765m loss

2018 - Unknown - but clearly the wage bill increased and Jordan Rhodes transfer hits in this period so impossible to see it not being larger.

Things like depreciation, spending on infrastructure and youth team don’t count towards the allowable £39m loss under FFP but we know we are close to FFP because Mr Chansiri told us.

Therefore, the only way we don’t go over FFP is  if in this season we make a smaller loss than in 2016.

There are only 2 ways this can happen.

1. Promotion

2. Significant player sales (probably £15m +).

3. The clubs vote to change the rules or increase the limit.

This isn’t opinion it’s common sense based on the info that is in the public domain.

We must get promoted this season or it looks a difficult path we’ll be on.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The published accounts are fact.

The rules of FFP are fact.

From your response, I take we are in agreement that points 1 and 2 are your opinions and not facts.  

You are using this opinion to spin a negative slant on how we are able to mitigate any potential FFP sanctions.

Conversely, it could be reasonably argued that in a market where Gary Madine is worth £6m, We could sell FF (not that I'm advoctaing it) or any other 2 of our other forwards and reap more than enough to offset any losses over the next 2 seasons.

10 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

From your response, I take we are in agreement that points 1 and 2 are your opinions and not facts.  

You are using this opinion to spin a negative slant on how we are able to mitigate any potential FFP sanctions.

Conversely, it could be reasonably argued that in a market where Gary Madine is worth £6m, We could sell FF (not that I'm advoctaing it) or any other 2 of our other forwards and reap more than enough to offset any losses over the next 2 seasons.

Yes, 1 & 2 are opinion.

So in summary:-

You think we are alright because we can sell all our best players.

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Yes, 1 & 2 are opinion.

So in summary:-

You think we are alright because we can sell all our best players.

You just can't help yourself, can you.  There you go again, spinning.  I have said we have the option, if needed, of selling 2 players.  I've even identified the area of our squad where, in my opinion, we have a surplus of talent. 

22 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

This  We may have made losses but if around £20m then our squad is now worth at least this amount more than when DC took over (by reason of being better and the increase in values generally). It’s also good enough for play offs if all fit and arguably better.  On this basis we can quite easily steer round FFP and are in better shape than we were 3 years ago. 

33 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

We could sell FF (not that I'm advoctaing it) or any other 2 of our other forwards and reap more than enough to offset any losses over the next 2 seasons.

Given that our losses will probably increase from £20m from the last set of accounts, I doubt anyone will buy FF (or Nuhui and Winnall) for in excess of £40m.

9 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Given that our losses will probably increase from £20m from the last set of accounts, I doubt anyone will buy FF (or Nuhui and Winnall) for in excess of £40m.

Well done.  You've conflated our total losses with the loss we are making per season.  If we can offset those by player sales.  Our total losses will remain at £20m.

Unless you're saying we're losing £20m per season.

• Haha 1