No more of the Nuhiu nonsense

21 hours ago, mcmigo said:

The big man is who he is.

he cost us next to nothing and probably gets paid in a month what some of our ‘stars’ are paid in a week.  You can’t have 25 top class players in a championship squad. You need your first teamers, plus some useful squad players who won’t get too ratty about being bench players and offer something a bit different. 

Is he our best player? Not by a long way. But right now his performances are possibly what separates us from going down and staying up. I think he will rattle a few in and save us this season.

really  wow

21 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

There are statistics, and there is context. The real key is in the latter.

When International forwards like Dennis Bergkamp, Sylvain Wiltord, Jose Antonio Reyes, Nwankwo Kanu and Jeremie Aliadiere combined for a grand total of 10 league goals in a season alongside Thierry Henry's 30, it would be easy to sound off about how hopeless they were and that they were failing to fulfill their responsibilities as strikers. But as that was what they did in 2003-4 when Arsenal won the title without a single defeat, it would be difficult to make that case seem very compelling. There's way more to being a forward player than just the empty-headed reading of numbers on a page.

Here are some more statistics for you to illustrate what I mean from 2017/8...

SHOTS ON TARGET %

Matias     75

Hooper    61

Winnall    60

Nuhiu      53

Rhodes   47

Joao        46

Fletcher   28

MINUTES PER ASSIST

Matias      63

Nuhiu       204

Hooper     673

Fletcher   1,145

Rhodes    1,378

Winnall     (0 assists)

Joao         (0 assists)

MINUTES PER GOAL

Winnall    136

Nuhiu      153

Hooper    184

Matias      190

Rhodes    230

Joao        245

Fletcher   382

From the numbers alone, it would be hard to make a case for singling him out for criticism.

Source : BBC

As I suspected the stats have been doctored and tailored to suit your pro Nuhiu anti Rhodes agenda.

You've included the EFL cup games against lesser opposition and failed to include the FA cup games where Nuhiu didn't score .How convenient.

Just for clarity and as this was about Championship games. Nuhius minutes per goal ratio is 352 minutes per goal.

45 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

As I suspected the stats have been doctored and tailored to suit your pro Nuhiu anti Rhodes agenda.

You've included the EFL cup games against lesser opposition and failed to include the FA cup games where Nuhiu didn't score .How convenient.

Just for clarity and as this was about Championship games. Nuhius minutes per goal ratio is 352 minutes per goal.

It's always an "agenda" isn't it? :laugh:

Here's a link to the page I used as the source for that data.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/top-scorers

Perhaps you could explain to me exactly what it was I "tailored" as I simply used every statistic they supplied in totality. There are no filters by competition, so I was rather helpless there. In any event, Nuhiu has not scored in the EFL Cup, but Rhodes (twice against Bolton), Hooper and Fletcher (once each against Chesterfield) have. But he did score a couple against Reading in the FA Cup with Matias adding another. Seems to me that almost all of our forwards have profited in the cup competitions. And of all the "lesser opposition", you've actually picked the highest ranked one we've met, who are so inferior that they currently sit a whole 1 point behind us in the Championship. But I've "doctored" the numbers? :laugh:

And part of my argument always is, and always will be, that being a striker is much more than just a number on a page. That depth of 'analysis' means even a four year old could judge players. So what are scouts being paid for where it relates to that position? The Arsenal story from earlier was intended to illustrate that teams are perfectly capable of being successful even if some of their forwards aren't scoring plenty of goals. No one judges individual defenders by the number of tackles or clearances they make. It's a team effort to prevent goals being conceded. A similar principle can apply at the other end to judge the unit as a whole. Was anyone suggesting Bergkamp was a failure for only scoring 4 league goals that season when the team had 73 in total and went unbeaten?

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's always an "agenda" isn't it? :laugh:

Here's a link to the page I used as the source for that data.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/top-scorers

Perhaps you could explain to me exactly what it was I "tailored" as I simply used every statistic they supplied in totality. There are no filters by competition, so I was rather helpless there. In any event, Nuhiu has not scored in the EFL Cup, but Rhodes (twice against Bolton), Hooper and Fletcher (once each against Chesterfield) have. But he did score a couple against Reading in the FA Cup with Matias adding another. Seems to me that almost all of our forwards have profited in the cup competitions. And of all the "lesser opposition", you've actually picked the highest ranked one we've met, who are so inferior that they currently sit a whole 1 point behind us in the Championship. But I've "doctored" the numbers? :laugh:

And part of my argument always is, and always will be, that being a striker is much more than just a number on a page. That depth of 'analysis' means even a four year old could judge players. So what are scouts being paid for where it relates to that position? The Arsenal story from earlier was intended to illustrate that teams are perfectly capable of being successful even if some of their forwards aren't scoring plenty of goals. No one judges individual defenders by the number of tackles or clearances they make. It's a team effort to prevent goals being conceded. A similar principle can apply at the other end to judge the unit as a whole. Was anyone suggesting Bergkamp was a failure for only scoring 4 league goals that season when the team had 73 in total and went unbeaten?

Wow you really have missed the point of this thread.

You can post all the comparison stats you want, the fact remains nuihu is simply not good enough. You've mentioned context, but then distorted that too. He would not get in the team if we had a fully fit front line. The main reason he's got so many minutes is because he's filled in so many times due to injuries. 

I don't get this love in with a player who is just so poor. Saying 'well everyone else is poor' is just no reasoning at all, if nothing else it simply proves we are inept and probably skint when it comes to the transfer market. 

He's probably a really nice guy, but for what we need, he's not good enough and never has been. 

4 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

You can post all the comparison stats you want, the fact remains nuihu is simply not good enough. You've mentioned context, but then distorted that too. He would not get in the team if we had a fully fit front line. The main reason he's got so many minutes is because he's filled in so many times due to injuries. 

I don't get this love in with a player who is just so poor. Saying 'well everyone else is poor' is just no reasoning at all, if nothing else it simply proves we are inept and probably skint when it comes to the transfer market. 

He's probably a really nice guy, but for what we need, he's not good enough and never has been. 

I would agree with all of that to some degree except for the claim that I've distorted anything. The statistics are every minute of every competition by every forward (except Forestieri who has near enough missed the whole season). What's selective about that?

Some of the things you're inferring I've explicitly stated in this very thread are not the case. Is he a Premier League striker? No. Can he be a prolific scorer at this level? Doesn't look like it. Would he get in the team under normal circumstances ahead of Hooper and Forestieri? Clearly not. Has he benefitted from the injuries and poor performances by others? Obviously. Would it be a shock if he wasn't here next season? Not really. 

So what's the argument then?

But in these depleted times, has he proved a useful option? In the 9 games since Boxing Day we have scored just 6 goals and he has been involved in all but one of them, scoring 3 himself. To be singling him out in those circumstances seems grossly unfair. 

• Thanks 1

This is a thread about Nuihu though, thus we talk about him, his contribution, the team with him in it, etc etc. It's not singling out, it's called staying on topic. More than happy to discuss the stats for fox, wallace, butterfield et al another thread though, because they are horrific too!

You are correct in that the numbers do not offer up evidence that causation sits just on Nuihu's high up shoulders, but i think there's a strong case for identifying correlation, as for Nuihu to achieve those numbers requires a longer and more consistent run in the team, which almost always coincides with a downturn in form. Basically if he's playing a lot, we've too many out injured and likely we're not doing so well. 

Him playing shows our inept performance in the transfer market and medical room. 

On 2/4/2018 at 11:18, Emilianenko said:

After all the fans who are not morons and understand football were clamouring for the big man to start , again we get a totally inept performance.  Despite being told we are a better team when he plays.

Here are the FACTS.

Nuhius last 10 starts in the Championship.

Won 0 (yes that is zero )

Drew 2

Lost 8

I wish I understood football.

Carefully avoiding any "facts" that would support him. Think he's done quite well in the Cups since he came back.

Only selecting games he's started which ignores contributions like the one at Ipswich.

Stop hating its eating away at you. 

7 hours ago, Day before Thursday said:

Carefully avoiding any "facts" that would support him. Think he's done quite well in the Cups since he came back.

Only selecting games he's started which ignores contributions like the one at Ipswich.

Stop hating its eating away at you. 

You clearly misunderstood the point of this thread, are you son of Mortimer?