Jump to content
@owlstalk

MALTA OWLS : Let's kit out the Sheffield Wednesday bar in Malta!

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

I think Malta is a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

 

Personally I think it's an horrible place - but then we had a terrible time on our 1 and only visit.

 

We stayed in Sliema - which I thought resembled Darnall - and the weather was atrocious from start to finish.

 

We stayed the 1st week of June, a good few years ago - it never stopped raining, the wind actually smashed the window of our hotel, the swimming pool (situated on the beachfront) was closed, mainly because the sea was on it, in fact the sea was also in the hotel - we had to go to M&S to buy winter clothes - we enquired about flights home, but there wasn't any availability until the day before we were due to go back anyway....

 

The fact that there’s an M&S puts me off more than I can rationally express lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I'd love to go, however I've been told with young kids. It's a bit of a no as there isn't much to do. 

 

My dad went last year though and loved it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

I'd love to go, however I've been told with young kids. It's a bit of a no as there isn't much to do. 

 

My dad went last year though and loved it. 

 

Hmmmm 

There's boat rides, castles, swimming in the blue grotto and the popeye village amongst other things


Depends what they enjoy really


 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, @owlstalk said:

 

Hmmmm 

There's boat rides, castles, swimming in the blue grotto and the popeye village amongst other things


Depends what they enjoy really

Well they are currently 3 and 6 I'm on a big holiday to oz this year (March) so something a bit closer to home next year will be welcome. 

 

I'm also incredibly interested in the history of the place. 

 

Looks lovely from some of the pictures and heard the Maltese people are great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Was my first time this year and I'm heading straight back there as soon as humanly possible

I'm taking my daughter too (she's 9) as she'll love it 

 

  • Agree 1

 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Well they are currently 3 and 6

 

 

 

  • Agree 1

 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the best bits of Malta are not very commonly known... like Ghajn Tuffieha Bay, St Thomas Bay, Maltese restaurants at Mgarr: and then there is Gozo. The sightseeing buses will take you some lovely places but they won't include (for example) Mgarr Ix-Xini or Dahlet Qorrot. Some of the stops on the tours are places where the proprietor pays the driver to bring a bus load of tourists - it doesn't mean this is the best example of Malta or Gozo's offerings. 

 

If you bring children, there are great places to take them for a swim in the sea. Also, some of the hotels have really good animation programmes that they can enjoy: Seabank in Mellieha and Dolmen in Bugibba are two examples I am personally aware of but I know there will be others. 

 

I'm not a big fan of the Sliema / St Julians area (although I go to Portomaso casino reasonably often): but these locations will suit someone who likes night clubs, gentlemen's clubs etc and don't mind paying a bit over the odds for beer etc. 

 

Anyone visiting Malta who wants recommendations for stuff to do can pm me - let me know what you're looking for and I will have some suggestions. I lived in the Bugibba area for three years before I moved to Gozo and still visit at least once a week, but I also know a lot of the other parts of the two main islands. And if you like a game of poker you should definitely ask me about the games available. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MartinOwlMan said:

Some of the best bits of Malta are not very commonly known... like Ghajn Tuffieha Bay, St Thomas Bay, Maltese restaurants at Mgarr: and then there is Gozo. The sightseeing buses will take you some lovely places but they won't include (for example) Mgarr Ix-Xini or Dahlet Qorrot. Some of the stops on the tours are places where the proprietor pays the driver to bring a bus load of tourists - it doesn't mean this is the best example of Malta or Gozo's offerings. 

 

If you bring children, there are great places to take them for a swim in the sea. Also, some of the hotels have really good animation programmes that they can enjoy: Seabank in Mellieha and Dolmen in Bugibba are two examples I am personally aware of but I know there will be others. 

 

I'm not a big fan of the Sliema / St Julians area (although I go to Portomaso casino reasonably often): but these locations will suit someone who likes night clubs, gentlemen's clubs etc and don't mind paying a bit over the odds for beer etc. 

 

Anyone visiting Malta who wants recommendations for stuff to do can pm me - let me know what you're looking for and I will have some suggestions. I lived in the Bugibba area for three years before I moved to Gozo and still visit at least once a week, but I also know a lot of the other parts of the two main islands. And if you like a game of poker you should definitely ask me about the games available. 

We having ours 6th 7th and 8th stays at the seabank this year, fantastic hotel .

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 

Was my first time this year and I'm heading straight back there as soon as humanly possible

I'm taking my daughter too (she's 9) as she'll love it 

 

Been taking our daughter since she was 6, she’s 10 now and loves it as much as me and the Mrs do .

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stayed in the Dolman Resort hotel which is about 10 mins walk to Steve’s bar . 

Went mid November and we had great weather during the day , low to mid 20’s all week . 

It turned chilly at night and you needed a jacket . 

Id recommend the area to anyone , lots of decent bars and restaurants on the door step . Met Steve, and watched a game with him , he’s a top fella and really passionate about Wednesday .

He’s done what most of us dream of doing , leaving this dreary weather and making a new life in the sun. Hope he succeeds and if we all call when we’re out there i’m Sure he will. 

Like already posted , don’y Rely on google maps  , you won’t find it ! Took me ages to find the place , but it’s not a bad place to wander round till you come across it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went in 1995, I loved it too.

 

I've got a picture with me and Olive Oyl somewhere, must have a rummage around for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Owl999 said:

We having ours 6th 7th and 8th stays at the seabank this year, fantastic hotel .

 

Is that the old Mellieha Bay Hotel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

 

Is that the old Mellieha Bay Hotel?

No pal, that’s still there further down the road .

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I went in 1995, I loved it too.

 

I've got a picture with me and Olive Oyl somewhere, must have a rummage around for it.

You’d have been better off using sun tan lotion .

  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Vernster said:

 

Like already posted , don’y Rely on google maps  , you won’t find it ! Took me ages to find the place , but it’s not a bad place to wander round till you come across it . 



I've just managed to get the place onto google maps which should hopefully help everyone out

 

https://goo.gl/maps/VXBrm784mt82

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Might send a few replica shirts

Can we not send the one that got chucked on the pitch Saturday ...

get it signed by everyone who was on the pitch (players wouldn't be appropriate at this time)

Get it framed,  and call it "The Day Football Died........

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...