Bored

8 minutes ago, james o connor said:

It’s not really that . I went home and away during the dreadful Irvine / megson season so I’m certainly not adverse for sticking it out through tough times. It’s the fact that it’s so predictable , we can almost guess the scores , Villa game aside. We are clearly coming up short yet continue to do the same thing. Clubs like the pigs and Cardiff (with worse squads and considerably cheaper ticket prices) play without fear and are exciting to watch . Everything about Wednesday has a ‘can’t really be @rsed’ feel to it. 

I will go to games, but I just couldn’t be bothered to rush from Nottingham all the way to Sheffield on Saturday to watch a bore draw. No matter how much I moan I’ve never felt like that before . 

how we set up isn't exciting to watch but if we bore our way into the play off final I can guarantee that we'll have 40k fans fighting for tickets .......you have to take the rough with the smooth , if all who went thought like some that I've read on here and stopped going the because we are encountering an average spell then the club would fold .....people may call me a clapper and if supporting your club thru thick and thin is what a clapper is then i'm guilty as charged .......but I can have no respect for the views of fans who only go when times are good .

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

how we set up isn't exciting to watch but if we bore our way into the play off final I can guarantee that we'll have 40k fans fighting for tickets .......you have to take the rough with the smooth , if all who went thought like some that I've read on here and stopped going the because we are encountering an average spell then the club would fold .....people may call me a clapper and if supporting your club thru thick and thin is what a clapper is then i'm guilty as charged .......but I can have no respect for the views of fans who only go when times are good .

I think the trouble is that the club have set the bar very high and have raised expectations to such a level and asked the fans to buy into it by paying such high prices. Now before (maybe MM) DC we all expected very little and expected us to be poor but we didn't feel like we were paying over the odds for everything and just got in with it as it were the norm.

I think it's only natural that people will start to question things when they perceive they aren't getting value for money. 

41 minutes ago, torryowl said:

A lot of the fans who are a bit bored and talking about giving up are fans who have supported us through thin and thinner.

There’s a difference now because there’s a feeling of disconnect between some traditional fans and the club - partly down to money, what we are asked to shell out and what the players get, and partly down to the general vibe coming from the club.

In the past even though we didn’t own it the club felt like it was ours. Now it certainly doesn’ - ticket prices, lack of stripes, branding etc make it clear who is in the driving seat. 

I was in the legendary sub 7k crowd league crowd at Hillsborough so I have been there through the rough and that’s how I feel. 

I think that’s affecting the attitude of some people. Fair play to people like you who don’t feel like that. But football is about irrationalities and emotions - there’s no science to it and everybody isn’t going to feel the way you do - or the way I do for that matter. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

A lot of the fans who are a bit bored and talking about giving up are fans who have supported us through thin and thinner.

There’s a difference now because there’s a feeling of disconnect between some traditional fans and the club - partly down to money, what we are asked to shell out and what the players get, and partly down to the general vibe coming from the club.

In the past even though we didn’t own it the club felt like it was ours. Now it certainly doesn’ - ticket prices, lack of stripes, branding etc make it clear who is in the driving seat. 

I was in the legendary sub 7k crowd league crowd at Hillsborough so I have been there through the rough and that’s how I feel. 

I think that’s affecting the attitude of some people. Fair play to people like you who don’t feel like that. But football is about irrationalities and emotions - there’s no science to it and everybody isn’t going to feel the way you do - or the way I do for that matter. 

I think your right but whatever chansiri does or doesn't do  will not  drive me away ......if someone cant afford to go I totally understand that but to pull out just because we have hit a dodgy spell as some are suggesting is totally alien to my view of what supporting your club  should be .......

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

20 years of rough, when was the smooth ?

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think your right but whatever chansiri does or doesn't do  will not  drive me away ......if someone cant afford to go I totally understand that but to pull out just because we have hit a dodgy spell as some are suggesting is totally alien to my view of what supporting your club  should be .......

I don’t think it is the fact that they’ve hit a “dodgy” spell. It’s that fact that it’s boring and predictable. 

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

I don’t think it is the fact that they’ve hit a “dodgy” spell. It’s that fact that it’s boring and predictable. 

qpr ....borefest 

sunderland ...decent  game

forest ........good game 

Brentford ..decent  game 

blunts ...bloody awful for us but the television people loved it and thought it was a cracking game 

leeds ....outstanding game 

Barnsley ....meh 

millwall ....decent game 

brizzie ....awful 

that's 3 poor games out of 9 ......it's the championship whenever I see televised games involving other clubs I see very few that get my juices flowing .it's that sort of division .

Guest Black N Red
9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

qpr ....borefest 

forest ........good game 

Brentford ..decent  game 

blunts ...bloody awful for us but the television people loved it and thought it was a cracking game 

Barnsley ....meh 

millwall ....decent game 

brizzie ....awful 

that's 3 poor games out of 9 ......it's the championship whenever I see televised games involving other clubs I see very few that get my juices flowing .it's that sort of division .

You genuinely thought Millwall was a decent game?

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

qpr ....borefest 

forest ........good game 

Brentford ..decent  game 

Barnsley ....meh 

millwall ....decent game 

brizzie ....awful 

I think you are too kind to the Sunderland (1st half especially) and Millwall games - particularly as regards how we played - and we weren't great against Brentford either, although I'm struggling to remember that one.  I bought my dad a season ticket this season and I won't go to every game because of work. It's cost me knocking on £900 (as far as I can recall!) for probably 18 games - and I've stopped looking forward to going because I have a pretty good idea of how we're going to be set up. 

We all have a different view of entertainment though - 'er indoors loves Gardeners World. I'd sooner poke my eyes out with a petunia.

Didn't check the result until I remembered that we had played in the evening!!!!

Not much of a fan are you. 

It doesn't matter what sort of trough we are in , I always know when we are playing and spend several hours before kick off anticipating the anti climax.

So we hadn't played for a fortnight, it's a Saturday afternoon and you forgot that we were playing....what a crock...

4 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Didn't check the result until I remembered that we had played in the evening!!!!

Not much of a fan are you. 

It doesn't matter what sort of trough we are in , I always know when we are playing and spend several hours before kick off anticipating the anti climax.

So we hadn't played for a fortnight, it's a Saturday afternoon and you forgot that we were playing....what a crock...

That's good for you mate, I'm glad you still enjoy supporting Wednesday. I'm just very disinterested at the moment is all.

On 19/11/2017 at 11:37, Sonny said:

If you don’t know or care about what is happening then maybe you just prefer other things now. That’s absolutely great - go and put your considerable enthusiasm into whatever that thing is. Everyone else will just have to muddle on.

I know this was a dig at me, but I actually think it holds a certain ring of truth

At the moment, it costs a lot of money to go watch us play. I'm not going to claim I'm one of those fans who is struggling for cash and genuinely can't afford to go.. Because I'm not. If I truly wanted to go to Hillsborough and watch us play I would do.

But I don't. Not with this manager in charge, with this style of play, in a season where we won't finish top 6 in my opinion. As I said, I believe the owner has created a complete sense of disengagement with the average fan - and make no mistake about it, I am an average fan. I'm no 'diehard' live and breath Wednesdayite.

In football, we can't attend a match and expect to be entertained. That title is only reserved for the very elite teams, and as an average second division English side obviously we most certainly aren't one of those. However, football is about passion. About it being more than 'entertained'. Sure we probably won't win, but so what? It's our team and we support them anyway.

I don't feel that about Wednesday anymore. As I said, I go through the latest news about the club.. Looking at these statements from the owner trying to appear personable and approachable, a 'fan' just like us perhaps. And I read them, and I can't help but think that he didn't write these, he probably had no real say in writing them and it's just PR to appear to look good. Then I see a genuine home grown talent who in past years would be considered our future hope, perhaps he could be the difference? Now, it's just a case of 'oh well, he was never going to get in ahead of the millionaire mercenaries anyway' and nobody really cares. 

The way we are being run doesn't make me feel valued. And yes, no doubt I'll be laughed at for saying that, but I truly wholeheartedly think it. I appreciate it's not about 'me' in the grand scheme of things, but as a walk up supporter, if I don't feel valued and have no reason to go unlike season ticket holders - why would I? What difference is me going to make if I'm not supporting 'my' club? At the moment, it feels like we have no identity, and the hierarchy is so distanced from the supporters it's unreal. 

Finally, yes you're right. Maybe I have found different, perhaps better, things to be doing rather than watching us now. But maybe a better way of considering it is that I've had to go out and actively look for different things to do now that it's so expensive to get in and I don't enjoy watching us anymore. I do still watch football, I watched the North London Derby on saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it, so it isn't that I don't like football. It's that I don't feel attached to Sheffield Wednesday right now and I can't see how that changes until something within the club changes to make me interested again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

qpr ....borefest 

forest ........good game 

Brentford ..decent  game 

Barnsley ....meh 

millwall ....decent game 

brizzie ....awful 

Sunderland 'decent game'...really??? Great goal and nothing else. Nowhere near the money I had to pay for that ticket.

2 hours ago, Bagarri said:

Sunderland 'decent game'...really??? Great goal and nothing else. Nowhere near the money I had to pay for that ticket.

I paid 23 quid and thought it was an entertaining game and well worth the money ,i'd guess you paid considerably more so can understand why you would think that .....I admit I go to see us win and if we can do it in style then that's a bonus but I don't want to see a storming match like the blunts game was and come away defeated ......the result is everything to me and the entertainment is a distant second but I can appreciate not everyone thinks the same .