The must-start players?

Guest We Shall Overcome
15 hours ago, Holmowl said:

A lot of fan-talk about new formations. But be honest, if you were going to put your wage-packet on formation for Forest we would all write 442 on the betting slip (old-fart terminology).

Purely on merit from this season's performances, who do we class as a "must-start" and in what position?

Try to be unbiased, dont pick your favourites, and dont pick players who "are bound to come good soon".

Here's mine:-

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Up for grabs

Reach or upfor grabs

Up for grabs

Bannan

Jones

Reach or up for grabs

Hooper

Fletcher

If (and its a huge if) Carlos was to pick purely on current merit, imo he cant leave a single one of the above out of the XI. 

That means no immediate return to the starting Xl for several big name fan faves.

We have about 20 players who would play 46 games if fit for most sides in this division. The skill now is for Carlos to keep players and watchers desperate for a start. Rotating to keep a big squad happy is counter-productive. A player should fight for a place, then fight to keep it. But, if he deserves to keep it on merit he must be allowed to keep his place. Nothing worse than playing well, only to be told "I'm giving you a rest next outing son".

'So Fulham where prepared to go up to £17million for Fernando' and he cannot even get in your starting line up, do you really expect us to get to the Premier League you Dumb rascal?.

Guest We Shall Overcome
11 hours ago, Fernandoooo said:

Westwood 

lees 

van aken

hunt

fox

lee 

banan

fernando 

butterfield

hooper 

fletcher

Not far off!!

Guest We Shall Overcome
11 hours ago, Fernandoooo said:

Westwood 

lees 

van aken

hunt

fox

lee 

banan

fernando 

butterfield

hooper 

fletcher

Just Hutch for Lees for me.

4 hours ago, ZIMMY said:

'So Fulham where prepared to go up to £17million for Fernando' and he cannot even get in your starting line up, do you really expect us to get to the Premier League you Dumb rascal?.

It is not a starting line-up. My OP showed the 8 players I think have earned the "must-play" tag on current merit based on this season's performances.

That leaves 3 positions up for grabs. If FF is impressing in training and attitude then of course he is bang in contention. That said, two of my must-plays on current merit are Hooper and Fletch, so until one of them loses form it only leaves a wide role available for FF....imo.

As for your last line, on his form over the past dozen or so matches, then I think we are better starting matches without FF. But thats another story.

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

A lot of fan-talk about new formations. But be honest, if you were going to put your wage-packet on formation for Forest we would all write 442 on the betting slip (old-fart terminology).

Purely on merit from this season's performances, who do we class as a "must-start" and in what position?

Try to be unbiased, dont pick your favourites, and dont pick players who "are bound to come good soon".

Here's mine:-

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Up for grabs

Reach or upfor grabs

Up for grabs

Bannan

Jones

Reach or up for grabs

Hooper

Fletcher

If (and its a huge if) Carlos was to pick purely on current merit, imo he cant leave a single one of the above out of the XI. 

That means no immediate return to the starting Xl for several big name fan faves.

We have about 20 players who would play 46 games if fit for most sides in this division. The skill now is for Carlos to keep players and watchers desperate for a start. Rotating to keep a big squad happy is counter-productive. A player should fight for a place, then fight to keep it. But, if he deserves to keep it on merit he must be allowed to keep his place. Nothing worse than playing well, only to be told "I'm giving you a rest next outing son".

We're struggling to score league goals this season. 

Therefore to say any forward player is a must-start, is premature.

We need to find a winning/scoring combo 1st. Fletcher, Hooper et al will need to be this else youth (joao/hirst) will need to be tried.

You go with those performing. At the moment I'd only say bannan and Westwood are performing to the best of their ability so they should be the only Certs for a place . 

Players like ff should be nowhere near the team at the moment , he needs to get his head down and put in some serious effort. Same with Hutchinson , who for me has had his day. It was rediculous he came back into the side for the play offs. He will need to earn a place as well. 

Bannan has always seemed to be a 'Carlos no-drop' man. Let's be fair, even the most fanatical of Bannan fans would accept that last season he had a period when there was an obvious drop in form. This happens to the best, and worst, of players. The question is, do you persevere with the loss of form, knowing full well that it is temporary, or do you drop a man immediately his form drops? This is always the problem for a Manager who has put together a strong side - when, or if, to drop or persevere. It's what sorts out the great from the good.   

I think Carlos will go

Westwood

Hunt Lees van Aken Pudil

Reach Jones Butterfield Bannan

Hooper (could be anyone)

I wouldn't but I wouldn't go 442. If 442 had to be picked I'd go.

Westwood

Hunt Lees van Aken Reach

Matias Jones Lee/Abdi Bannan

Forestieri Hooper

Lee and Abdi getting 45 mins each as that's probably all they can do.

I would not play Bannan central in a 442 again and I think Forestieri has to play as he's our best player. Hooper is playing well and looks like van Aken is going to be Lees long term partner. Still think a 343 is ideal for us 

3 hours ago, zzmdu said:

We're struggling to score league goals this season. 

Therefore to say any forward player is a must-start, is premature.

We need to find a winning/scoring combo 1st. Fletcher, Hooper et al will need to be this else youth (joao/hirst) will need to be tried.

Hooper and Fletch have scored seven in their last seven starts together. 

That is outstanding. It compares favourably with any top pairing from this division last year.

So far this season its two goals in two starts. Looking very good.

45 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think Carlos will go

Westwood

Hunt Lees van Aken Pudil

Reach Jones Butterfield Bannan

Hooper (could be anyone)

I wouldn't but I wouldn't go 442. If 442 had to be picked I'd go.

Westwood

Hunt Lees van Aken Reach

Matias Jones Lee/Abdi Bannan

Forestieri Hooper

Lee and Abdi getting 45 mins each as that's probably all they can do.

I would not play Bannan central in a 442 again and I think Forestieri has to play as he's our best player. Hooper is playing well and looks like van Aken is going to be Lees long term partner. Still think a 343 is ideal for us 

But Hooper and Forestieri's goal-scoring record together is absolutely bobbins.

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hooper and Fletch have scored seven in their last seven starts together. 

That is outstanding. It compares favourably with any top pairing from this division last year.

So far this season its two goals in two starts. Looking very good.

We've played 5 Championship games and scored 4 league goals. Only 2 teams have scored less. Very difficult to use terms like outstanding and looking very good. 

Let's hope your right about Hooper and Fletcher and they deliver results that match your optimism.

However with 4 goals scored in 5 games, it's way to premature to start labeling any of our forwards as must starts.

Carlos clearly hasn't found the right  attacking combination, else we wouldn't be the 3rd joint lowest scorers in the league. The forward places are very much up for grabs IMO.

22 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

But Hooper and Forestieri's goal-scoring record together is absolutely bobbins.

Hooper goal scoring record hasn't been great for a while now. You can correlate this with anything.

You could pair Hooper with Westwood (or any other player) and conclude the same. 

9 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

We've played 5 Championship games and scored 4 league goals. Only 2 teams have scored less. Very difficult to use terms like outstanding and looking very good. 

Let's hope your right about Hooper and Fletcher and they deliver results that match your optimism.

However with 4 goals scored in 5 games, it's way to premature to start labeling any of our forwards as must starts.

Carlos clearly hasn't found the right  attacking combination, else we wouldn't be the 3rd joint lowest scorers in the league. The forward places are very much up for grabs IMO.

Hooper and Fletcher have only started in partnership twice this season. Each scoring once, and one win and one draw.

That alone makes them a "must-start" for the next match, which is what the OP was asking.

Six wins and a draw with them scoring seven in seven. Surely they are current must-picks for Forest.

Rovrum - Fletch 2

Newcastle - Fletch 1

Cardiff 

Derby - Fletch 1 Hoops 1

Ipswich 

------------------------------

Fulham - Fletch 1

Burton - Hoops 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hooper and Fletcher have only started in partnership twice this season. Each scoring once, and one win and one draw.

That alone makes them a "must-start" for the next match, which is what the OP was asking.

Six wins and a draw with them scoring seven in seven. Surely they are current must-picks for Forest.

Rovrum - Fletch 2

Newcastle - Fletch 1

Cardiff 

Derby - Fletch 1 Hoops 1

Ipswich 

------------------------------

Fulham - Fletch 1

Burton - Hoops 1

How can you say that ANY of our forwards are 'must starts', when we've scored 4 in 5 games?

Staggering.

1 minute ago, zzmdu said:

How can you say that ANY of our forwards are 'must starts', when we've scored 4 in 5 games?

Staggering.

Which strike partnership would you pick for Forest?

Ahead of seven goals in seven games, DWWWWWW, Hooper and Fletcher.