Jordan Rhodes to Sunderland or Wolves

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I look at the 90 odd games he has played to form my view.

Read the Forestieri stat thread to see how dire we are over a season with him up top.

You mean how dire we are in the first half? Why don't you look at the stats for our other strikers in the first 45 of games?

Why, when he was in goal scoring form last season (a spell that bettered any from Hooper and Fletcher), weren't you wanting him to play upfront? He was quite clearly our best striker at the time and deserved to play there above anyone else.

5 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

But FF was in goal scoring form at the time. He was then shoved out of the way for inferior players. No wonder he's been annoyed.

yeah but it comes back to the CC & FF relationship theory - was FF ever going to be a striker in CC's team?

21 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

When we were buying Winnall and Rhodes we had Hooper injured. That left us Fletch, Nuhiu, Joao, and the non-striker FF.

We had to buy, and we bought what 99% of us thought was the best.

Don't think 99% of us thought it was the best option especially having just bought Winnal. Buying a striker with little pace and having played little football for over a year never looked good to me despite his previous exceptional scoring record.

7 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

But FF was in goal scoring form at the time. He was then shoved out of the way for inferior players. No wonder he's been annoyed.

Good decision though.

Without FF striker after that...

W10. D5. L2

With FF striker after that...

W1. D2. L3

4 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Don't think 99% of us thought it was the best option especially having just bought Winnal. Buying a striker with little pace and having played little football for over a year never looked good to me despite his previous exceptional scoring record.

Look back at the threads at the time, and then question the 99%.

39 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

When we were buying Winnall and Rhodes we had Hooper injured. That left us Fletch, Nuhiu, Joao, and the non-striker FF.

We had to buy, and we bought what 99% of us thought was the best.

As you say, we had Fletcher, Winnall and Forestieri (who are perhaps 3 of the best 20 forwards in the division, even if the latter might be better in a wider or more withdrawn role). Joao and Nuhiu may be of lesser quality, but they were only our 4th and 5th options and pretty decent for that kind of contribution. Committing to a £7-10m signing for such a negligible opening in the squad (given that Hooper was going to be available later) was not sensible, especially given the ongoing financial impact it seems to have had. Were the need for another option really that urgent, a loan would have made more sense without the pledge to buy that Rhodes came with.

My opinion at the time was that it was entirely unnecessary due to the players we already had available, the fact that Rhodes had not played much lately and had apparently not impressed when he had, and that it was a fee which represented a sizeable risk. As it turns out, my opinion has only hardened. Rhodes has not been impressive (although it is entirely fair to suggest he is not being utilised in the most effective way) and all the evidence points to his purchase taking us close to the FFP restrictions which has severely hampered us in the last few weeks and left us scrabbling for last minute loans and free transfers so far.

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Look back at the threads at the time, and then question the 99%.

99% is still probably too high (I've not looked back though!). Your point about a large majority being in support of the signing  is nonetheless valid. However I never believed this was based on rational though about his qualities and how he would fit into our team - it was more about bragging rights and excitement that we were competing in the market at that level.

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Wolves are also having a sniff

I've alway thought they were a strange lot down there, what specifically are they sniffing?

9 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

If Carlos is saying he does sign players and doesn't. Then that would say nothing other than he's a yes man. 

It's clear listening to Carlos' interviews that if he senses criticism of his players or others within the club he prefer to absorb it than let it fall on others, in my opinion that is one of his many qualities.

8 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Rhodes recently bagged 2 goals vs Bolton.

Needs to be part of our strike force. 

But we lost the game, Blackburn all know about his goals but failed to achieve anything 

So, thinking about this, if we sell Rhodes for £7M to Sunderland less than a year after buying him for £10M, have we not essentially subsidised Sunderland's purchase of him by £3M?

Arguably one of the worst transfers in the clubs history if it happens.  Not just in terms of the relative loss on the player in fees and wages, but also in terms of wasted potential. 

Just now, i used to be sc_owl said:

So how much?  Do you know for certain it's not £10M?  If so, source?

Yes, we know for certain, Carlos is the source