New Kop - Mock Up

Guest Grez Bez

21 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Would look good and give some areas that could be used to raise revenue on non-match days. Funnily enough I was driving past today with the wife and told her we are the only club with a tree inside the stadium lol

Plus 1 for the tree!! lol

4 hours ago, steveger said:

The Weedon Street site at Meadowhell as mentioned in other threads is big enough and is ideally placed near leisure facilities, transport and more potential customers away from the footballing side...... just my opinion mate, obviously Mr C's is the one that matters.

As much as I would love a move there as its down the road from my house we would still have the same problems with access as it is surrounded on 2 sides by a river and an industrial estate, parking would be a nightmare on Saturdays with Meadowhall traffic and actually getting there once the new Ikea is finished would be a bloody headache. If I was Mr C i would buy the land accross the road and build a new stadium there and develop the current ground into housing or recreational facilities with a fan park and a big bridge accross to the new stadium

1 hour ago, Owling Wolfe said:

As much as I would love a move there as its down the road from my house we would still have the same problems with access as it is surrounded on 2 sides by a river and an industrial estate, parking would be a nightmare on Saturdays with Meadowhall traffic and actually getting there once the new Ikea is finished would be a bloody headache. If I was Mr C i would buy the land accross the road and build a new stadium there and develop the current ground into housing or recreational facilities with a fan park and a big bridge accross to the new stadium

That's a good point and something I'd forgotten to mention is In terms of accessing Meadowhall and the Arena (and soon Ikea) Weedon Street is a very significant road. SCC Highways and therefore Planning would likely require significant upgrades to the existing road network to accommodate a stadium on that site. If indeed they would even allow it.

Having been involved in the overall Ikea development I know the restrictions currently imposed on Weedon Street, especially around Christmas. The construction of the Ikea store required significant upgrades to the highways network as far as the roundabouts at junction 34. The mind boggles at what would be required for a stadium on Weedon Street.

In fact I imagine the road network just wouldn't be able to cope on match days, which is why along with everything else I've posted I believe this is a complete non-starter.

11 hours ago, RobHowe said:

I made this point on a similar thread a few weeks ago.

The amount of unused space underneath and behind the Kop (and the North) is phenomenal! It's just begging to be used.

Re-developed right it could create some incredible spaces for concession and retail, potential hospitality space and / or space for non-match day revenue generating opportunities, plus of course great views from all seats.

The only potential negative could be what material is in the mound that the original Kop was built on. There's a substantial amount of material to excavate and take off site. Transporting excavated material can be pricey; if there's contaminated material in there - quite possible given the time it built (they'd have chucked anything in there back then) - the cost could be eye-watering.

Get a man with a van to fly tip it down a country lane on the cheap . lol

3 hours ago, RobHowe said:

That site was subject to wider Planning Application by British Land in 2009. That particular area of the scheme was due to be developed for residential use.

Given that Outline Planning was granted and because it's used as overspill parking by Meadowhall I'll wager British Land own it.

If that's the case then I dont see them selling it as the return on developing it, and the wider scheme which involves commercial development, will by significantly higher than I'd imagine would pay to build a stadium.

And in any case, you'd still have remediation issues / costs to bear.

It just doesn't stack up for me.

Option - Redevelop Hillsborough:

Cost - a phased redevelopment of the ground, potential short term revenue loss due to reduced capacity.

Option - Relocate Ground

Cost - land purchase, site remediation, infrastructure development (roads, utilities, etc), stadium, potential loss of revenue due to relocation & access for current fan base, potential increased revenue due to 'new stadium' effect.

Unless DC has got incredibly deep pockets IMO I don't see us moving anywhere.

His family have 

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

His family have 

If, and that's a big IF, they could find a suitable site in the city - I don't see one currently - they're probably looking somewhere in excess of £100million, depending on what they want to build.

Forbes currently quotes the family wealth at $700million or £550million.

That's a hell of chunk of the Chansiri family pot if they were to fund it directly.

It would be more ideal to have stadium improvements in place before entry to Premier League.

Construction finance would be minimal compared to loss of gate revenue , I would imagine.

Shame we as a fanbase aren't privy to any information and just left to speculate.

1 minute ago, daztheowl said:

It would be more ideal to have stadium improvements in place before entry to Premier League.

Construction finance would be minimal compared to loss of gate revenue , I would imagine.

Shame we as a fanbase aren't privy to any information and just left to speculate.

Do you think so? I'm not so sure, as Lee Strafford's plans back in 2009-10 were initially budgeted at circa £25million from memory.

If a phased redevelopment started with the West Stand there would basically be the lose of revenue from away fans initially.

Lets say an average of 1,000 per game at £40 each, that's £40,000. £40,000 over let's say 26 home games (poor cup runs!) and you're looking at a loss of revenue of circa £1,040,000.

Say the West Stand redevelopment started at the end of one season they'd be approx 13-14 months to complete the work. Depending on what was being built I'd say that's a fair amount of time. (Btw - I do this for a living so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about :laugh:)

Assuming it was then the North Stand next, then the new west stand could be used to temporarily replace the north. Probabky not quite as many seats but not a significant loss of seats and therefore revenue. Let's say 4,000 seats at £40 each would be £160,000 per game and circa £4,160,000 over the season. North stand redevelopment could take longer, but if overlapped with the west during the summer, completion by the following August could be achieved.

The big one would be the Kop redevelopment. But even if you doubled the revenue loss to £8million during that phase you're still some way off the construction costs IMO.

In order to keep 3 stands open I'd imagine something in the region of a 3, possibly 4, year rolling project.

That said I agree in an ideal world the work would be complete before we get to the Premier League. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long!

15 minutes ago, steveger said:

How much of TUG do they actually own as they seem to be buying up companies quite regularly...

"2016: Makes a US$575 million investment in Red Lobster, the world's largest seafood restaurant company."

I've no idea to be honest. Forbes reckons their business plan is to achieve a group turnover of $8billion by 2020 through numerous acquisitions.

It states they currently have revenues of $3.7billion so they've got some way to go.

It doesn't mention profitability of the group, only the family wealth at $700million.

Guest Grez Bez
11 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

The opening poster has missed one big factor. The Kop and ground is not square to Penistone Road. So in effect all the space (and it is considerable) is in the SE corner their being very little in the NE corner. Just saying. 

Not sure its obvious by the pictures but it's not flat to Penistone roads on the images; it takes that into consideration............

3 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Do you think so? I'm not so sure, as Lee Strafford's plans back in 2009-10 were initially budgeted at circa £25million from memory.

If a phased redevelopment started with the West Stand there would basically be the lose of revenue from away fans initially.

Lets say an average of 1,000 per game at £40 each, that's £40,000. £40,000 over let's say 26 home games (poor cup runs!) and you're looking at a loss of revenue of circa £1,040,000.

Say the West Stand redevelopment started at the end of one season they'd be approx 13-14 months to complete the work. Depending on what was being built I'd say that's a fair amount of time. (Btw - I do this for a living so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about :laugh:)

Assuming it was then the North Stand next, then the new west stand could be used to temporarily replace the north. Probabky not quite as many seats but not a significant loss of seats and therefore revenue. Let's say 4,000 seats at £40 each would be £160,000 per game and circa £4,160,000 over the season. North stand redevelopment could take longer, but if overlapped with the west during the summer, completion by the following August could be achieved.

The big one would be the Kop redevelopment. But even if you doubled the revenue loss to £8million during that phase you're still some way off the construction costs IMO.

In order to keep 3 stands open I'd imagine something in the region of a 3, possibly 4, year rolling project.

That said I agree in an ideal world the work would be complete before we get to the Premier League. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long!

Agree it would be a big undertaking , don't know how these construction projects are financed , hence I said would imagine.

Was thinking if it was financed over say 30 years , I would have thought the interest and capital repayments would be offset by increased revenue.

Again , don't know how these things are financed.

1 minute ago, crag the owl said:

Why don't we just buy the Arena and surrounding land then build a Veltins Arena style stadium with retractable pitch then still have all the gigs they have there. Ching Ching. 

tbf they probably should have bought the Don Valley site when they were selling off in hindsight 

13 hours ago, RobHowe said:

I'd be sad to see the Cant go, fiddle with it by all means