Ideally (if he stays) he has to strike a balance between the attacking side of his first season with this more defensive, pragmatic one that he's produced this time out. 

Two stand out performances this season were the Newcastle games. Defensively we were by and large excellent, but also attacked with real quality and deservedly won on both occasions (against the eventual champions). 

Flip knows why a team who can do that to Newcastle can then find themselves struggling to break down a Burton or get battered by Blackburn (despite winning) at home. 

Too often this season it felt like we could defend very well, but as a result had little idea how to attack. We were often too slow and cautious, favoring passing it side to side rather trying to force an issue. As a result we were reliant upon a mistake, a moment of individual brilliance or creating one, two decent chances. 

Edited by SiJ

Just now, Sham67 said:

I'm not sure what you're saying.  Unless it's we need to be more predictable to be more successful.  Hence my facetious reply.

What is/are our current preferred and worked on methods for scoring?

I'll give you a few examples: kingly & Irish regularly overlapped ending up getting behind the defence & a decent cross. Sheridan through ball to hirst. Megson era, lots of high crosses/long throws with our giant centre halfs packing the box

I think what @zzmdu is saying is we seem to lack an identity or clearly defined tactics as to how we attack/score goals. 

If you watched Fulham on Saturday and Tuesday it was clear that their main source of attacking was to overload in the wide positions and get Fredericks and Malone (the two full backs) into the box for the cut back. 

With Wednesday...I'd struggle to tell you what our attacking tactics (for lack of a better term) are. 

17 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I'll give you a few examples: kingly & Irish regularly overlapped ending up getting behind the defence & a decent cross. Sheridan through ball to hirst. Megson era, lots of high crosses/long throws with our giant centre halfs packing the box

So, to bamboozle the opposites.  We need to be predictable.  Beyond risible.

5 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Is this thread for the Carlos outers who went AWOL during our final run in?

Of course it is. 

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

We have the most prolific striker the championship has seen in the last decade . If Carlos would just play to his strengths . 

He needs to be starting Nuhiu from the start :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Northampton Owl said:

I disagree you've only got to look at Chris Hughton to see that your completely wrong. 2 playoff defeats then up at third attempt in autos. What we need is continuity and stability. Something that's very rare in modern footy

Brighton finished 20th,3rd then 2nd in last 3 seasons,without Hughton they would probably been relegated 3 seasons ago.

i don't understand this Carlos love in, we have hardly looked like worldbeaters this season it's only the last couple of months we have looked anything like,

The  guy has not set the team up to play to their strengths we have a great set of strikers, yet he cannot get them the servce they require ,that's his fault however you look at it, if you look at the transfers we have brought in he has got it wrong both defensively and in the middle of the park, up front he has not got a clue who the strikers are playing together.

He then sets us up with no real system of play other than a very cautious approach, the fans are frustrated with it the players look bewildered by it.

lets be honest here without the run of results at the end of the season and Leeds imploding we wouldn't have even made the playoffs

Bearing in mind what we have spent both in transfers and wages we have been poor and can anyone see it being any better next season without a change at the top.

Whoever is in charge next season needs to set us up to be positive in our play and let the opposition worry about us, not us being afraid to have a go.

By the way we all want the same thing here which is sucess, I would love for it to be Carlos but just can't see it happening,if he does stay let's hope he proves me wrong.

32 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I think you are right.

The only two I can think of are the set piece delivery to Lees at the far post and he does get his head on quite a few plus the kinda lay back to Bannan who then clips the pass/cross for forward just like  he did for Fletcher  on Wednesday.

I think this mainly stems from a lack of consistency in which 11 are on the pitch. I am not saying this is a Carlos rotation issue. It just seems we have spent the whole season with players either injured or coming back from injury and not fielding a consistent 11 which was of course a feature of your examples above. We could name the eleven week in week  out.

However you can't hide the fact that in games against other top teams we set up to counter attack without having the pace required to do it