Question re: S6 PA system

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

That's a very serious (and good) point, hadn't even thought about it in those terms to be honest.

I don't have any hearing defect (other than selective hearing as diagonosed by my missus when she mentions decorating )  and I don't mind for the Hi  Ho Silver Lining thing but the rest of it was way OTT.

Surely the Stewards must mention it at the Post Match debrief ?  I mean they must struggle to communicate between themselves.

2 minutes ago, doubleo said:

I don't have any hearing defect (other than selective hearing as diagonosed by my missus when she mentions decorating )  and I don't mind for the Hi  Ho Silver Lining thing but the rest of it was way OTT.

Surely the Stewards must mention it at the Post Match debrief ?  I mean they must struggle to communicate between themselves.

You'd think, but then again who knows - I was worried I'd get negged to death for bringing it up, so I'm encouraged (so to speak!) that some others have been struggling with it. I'm only 35 and I don't have any diagnosed hearing problems either. Well, not prior to yesterday, at any rate!

I love a good loud Hi Ho, of course - absolutely the louder the better! But 60,000 fans wouldn't be half as hard on the ears as that accursed PA system. It's genuinely horrendous.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

You'd think, but then again who knows - I was worried I'd get negged to death for bringing it up, so I'm encouraged (so to speak!) that some others have been struggling with it. I'm only 35 and I don't have any diagnosed hearing problems either. Well, not prior to yesterday, at any rate.

I'm 31 mate - speak up 

Anyone actually emailing about it? Might do after work, if a few of us do then something might happen. 

Last thing we want is lawsuits coming Wednesday's way for loss of hearing WTF:

4 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

You'd think, but then again who knows - I was worried I'd get negged to death for bringing it up, so I'm encouraged (so to speak!) that some others have been struggling with it. I'm only 35 and I don't have any diagnosed hearing problems either. Well, not prior to yesterday, at any rate!

I love a good loud Hi Ho, of course - absolutely the louder the better! But 60,000 fans wouldn't be half as hard on the ears as that accursed PA system. It's genuinely horrendous.

Just a final observation, the prematch music, HiHo etc, are at a reasonable level, as is the pre match SWFC thing with the Owl, which is fantastic, so what happens at halftime to cause such an increase in volume ?

6 minutes ago, OwlLuke said:

Anyone actually emailing about it? Might do after work, if a few of us do then something might happen. 

Last thing we want is lawsuits coming Wednesday's way for loss of hearing WTF:

Yes as I said earlier in the thread, I will do when I've gathered a few quotes from people on here. I'd say there's probably enough to call it anecdotal evidence already.

(Obviously do feel free to get at them as well - the more the merrier, as it were!)

Edited by Mr. Tom

Just now, doubleo said:

Just a final observation, the prematch music, HiHo etc, are at a reasonable level, as is the pre match SWFC thing with the Owl, which is fantastic, so what happens at halftime to cause such an increase in volume ?

This is typically my experience too, although others on here have said it was very loud at full time too. I didn't have a problem after the final whistle (maybe I was just partially deaf by then!), but half time caused actual physical discomfort and that's just ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

Be interesting to see if it would pass the db safety limits

Been to gigs that are quieter than S6

I don't think there's any chance it would. Many gig venues have to offer earplugs for free, and they're never as loud as that was yesterday. Perhaps it's something to do with the definition of an enclosed space, I dunno. But for all intents and purposes, a football stadium with the speakers angled down into the stands IS effectively an enclosed space, acoustically speaking.

Edited by Mr. Tom

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I don't think there's any chance it would. Many gig venues have to offer earplugs for free, and they're never as loud as that was yesterday.

Libertines in the mid 00s at the Leadmill was ridiculous. Had to go to the smaller room to "watch" them

edit... jeez it was 2002 http://leadmill.co.uk/events/the-libertines-08-06-2002/ :excl::excl:

Edited by modboy

First noticed it v Villa first game of season. Having moved from the grandstand to the kop, thought it was just how it was on't kop. But like you say, it's not all the time, and is particularly bad when the tetleys tea advert comes on. 100% that the club needs informing. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

I sit about halfway up the Kop, and this season I've noticed on a few occasions that the half-time Yorkshire Tea gubbins they run on the big screen has been broadcast at absolutely ear-shattering volume. Not always - just sometimes. Yesterday for the first time it was so bad I actually had to put my fingers in my ears, and two little kids on the row behind me started crying and saying it was hurting. Today my ears are ringing.

My question is, was/is it the same for people in other areas of the ground, or is it a weird architectural quirk of exactly where my seat happens to be and the acoustics in the ground? Was it noticeably worse than usual yesterday for anyone else?

If it's just me, I'll shut up and move seats. But kids crying and people grimacing/covering ears all around me seems fairly mental; I'm pretty sure I don't sit in a particularly soft section and I wonder if the club have run any decibel tests on that stuff in different sections of the ground, because yesterday was just ridiculous - apart from anything else we couldn't hear a word of it as it was distorting so badly (not, of course, that we felt we were missing out!).

Glad it's not just me, I must sit near you and I was wincing at certain parts as it was hurting my ears.

They have also changed the speakers this season I noticed, don't know if that's anything to do with it.

Edited by mike312

2 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

First noticed it v Villa first game of season. Having moved from the grandstand to the kop, thought it was just how it was on't kop. But like you say, it's not all the time, and is particularly bad when the tetleys tea advert comes on. 100% that the club needs informing. 

So distorted you can't even tell it's Yorkshire Tea - the sponsors will be furious! lol

(In all honesty though, it's not doing Yorkshire Tea any favours that I now exhibit symptoms of shellshock whenever I see that label)