Real or Barca

I took my then 3 year old son to see Teulada v Real Madrid reserves 35 years ago as his birthday treat during a holiday. I'd bought him a Real Madrid replica kit that he wore for the match. On joining the admission queue a smartly dressed elderly Spanish guy came up to us, made a fuss of my lad and told me that he would take him through the complimentary gate, I paid my admission and they were waiting for me, the lad had a cola and I was handed an ice cold San Miguel, the guy was some sort of Real Madrid official and had pinned a supporters club badge to my lad's shirt.

RM brought some of the first team as subs and they came onto the pitch at half time to have a kick around with the kids, my lad was gob smacked. The atmosphere was great, he still talks about it, so for me it has to be Real Madrid.

Edited by optimisticowl

I took my then 3 year old son to see Teulada v Real Madrid reserves 35 years ago as his birthday treat during a holiday. I'd bought him a Real Madrid replica kit that he wore for the match. On joining the admission queue a smartly dressed elderly Spanish guy came up to us, made a fuss of my lad and told me that he would take him through the complimentary gate, I paid my admission and they were waiting for me, the lad had a cola and I was handed an ice cold San Miguel, the guy was some sort of Real Madrid official and had pinned a supporters club badge to my lad's shirt.

RM brought some of the first team as subs and they came onto the pitch at half time to have a kick around with the kids, my lad was gob smacked. The atmosphere was great, he still talks about it, so for me it has to be Real Madrid.

Wow that's brilliant! what a memory for you and those kids. 

I sided with Barca when growing up seeing them on TV in the dream team days under Cruyff but that's a great experience to have had, enjoyed reading it.

We're off to southern Spain this weekend, the locals are in the main Malaga supporters, with practically everyone's second club being Real Madrid, they dislike Barca and everything Catalan, the Catalonians are similar to the IRA in their eyes, however I wager that they would love Messi at either of their clubs.

Conversally the Catalan region is a cross between Scotland and northern England, Barca is a religion to them, they hate the Spanish government with a passion, (but I'm not so sure how they would feel if Ronaldo joined them) Barca being their flag of freedom, La Liga has mooted that Barca will be denied membership if Catalonia seizes independence, Spain's loss would be France's gain IMHO.

Edited by optimisticowl

Great story,  but to be honest I don't think your experience of a friendly in Spain 35 years ago is going to affect the decision making process :biggrin: