Conor Hourihane

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, thebrap11 said:

If they don't accept an offer we can't talk wages. If they said you can leave to go to anyone but that club, which is what Patrick clyne said, he's going to speak with villa instead. Now does he take an extra half a mill in wages between now and end of season playing for villa or does he stay at Barnsley on 7 grand a week hoping we go back in summer? Ci thi tarn n Wednesday I'm off to villa nar

Nah. Money talks. Villa no doubt offered more, and Barnsley can't pass up £1m+ or whatever it turns out to be. They have no right to specify where he goes. I'm sure Conor's agent would have reminded them of that. Bottom line, he chose Villa. 

10 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Just can`t see this being true at all, if he spoke to Villa he will have spoke to us(or his agent), I`ve never heard of a player being stopped from signing `because of what`s gone off ` just doesn`t happen,it`s all about money nothing else,makes me laugh the amount of people that think that it`s been done out of spite.

Suppose when a player's contract is running out it's possible, if somewhat self defeating, to refuse to sell to one club and let contract run out unless someone else comes in instead.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

Barnsley hold the cards here where he goes in Jan, end off.

If CH had wanted to sign for us then he'd sit tight until the summer, he will obviously be told what we'd offer him as a bosman.

Barnsley won't deal with us and if you take the blue and white specs you can't blame them.

Imagine Leeds being in the prem and they took FF off us, there would be uproar. Then imagine two weeks later they came along and took Hutch. Chansiri would be slaughtered twice over.

The deal had to be a double deal, I suspect that's why it took the time to announce Winnall. The minute it wasn't the deal was dead. 

If Barnsley had dealt with us I suspect we'd have matched Villa's offer and then it was purely personal choice. 

Completely disagree on this one. 

Guest Dingle.

Ultimately in this day and age Footballers will go where they want to play and live and no one will dictate to them otherwise. 

Edited by Dingle.

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Suppose when a player's contract is running out it's possible, if somewhat self defeating, to refuse to sell to one club and let contract run out unless someone else comes in instead.

I don`t think a contract has any bearing to be honest Etp as every player has his price as they say,for a start it wouldn`t be very professional and possibly cause a rift between the clubs and any future dealings but also on a wider scale,this is all made up stuff from Wednesdayites because Villa have probably blown Wednesday out of the water with regards to wages.

The hype is all down to the Winnall situation and in my opinion nothing more.

Although I may be wrong!!lol

Guest mrbluesky
2 minutes ago, Dingle. said:

Ultimately in this day and age Footballers will go where they want to play and live and no one will dictate to them otherwise. 

Yup.

I agree the crux of this was the player preferring Villa and the money there. If he wanted to come here he could've forced it.

But there have been fairly reputable sources (RS, Biggs, Nixon) suggesting that there is local politics at play too in terms of similar bids being rejected and Wednesday being discouraged from bidding/not being quoted a price.

That may be due to the context of the Villa deal being in the bag and the players preference being Villa, but I think it's evident that business relations between clubs is strained at best, particularly with the guy who sold Winnall leaving shortly after.

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Spot on. All we have probably done is help them get more from Villa. I suppose we had a choice to make and we chose Winnall. I'm happy with that 

If Kieran Lee was 100% fit then we wouldn't have looked at Conor Hourihane in my opinion, Lee's injury means we will probably need one more option in the middle of the park, Hourihane is in great form and was going for a cheapish fee. No brainer to look at CH.

I fully expect us to bring in another CM player.

We will be keeping Hutch in there, we can't not. David Jones is an alternative to Hutch IMO.

In addition we have the creativity of Bannan with Abdi as an option, we could do with another one.

Guest mrbluesky
4 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Spot on. All we have probably done is help them get more from Villa. I suppose we had a choice to make and we chose Winnall. I'm happy with that 

No other offers at the time for Winnall,we sign Winnall,two clubs interested in CH at the same time so it`s a drawn out process, Villa offer silly wages,end of story,the only choice to be made is by the player and no one else,it is really that simple,I`ll keep saying it Wednesday fans are over complicating things for no other reason than we`ve bought a striker off them,

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I agree the crux of this was the player preferring Villa and the money there. If he wanted to come here he could've forced it.

But there have been fairly reputable sources (RS, Biggs, Nixon) suggesting that there is local politics at play too in terms of similar bids being rejected and Wednesday being discouraged from bidding/not being quoted a price.

That may be due to the context of the Villa deal being in the bag and the players preference being Villa, but I think it's evident that business relations between clubs is strained at best, particularly with the guy who sold Winnall leaving shortly after.

I understand what you are saying mate, it sounds like there was quite a bit of interest but it was only us and Villa who made an acceptable offer.

Its quite clear that Barnsley did not want to sell to us again, therefore we didn't get the opportunity to discuss terms with the player. I don't blame them.

We also need to accept that Villa are an attractive option for any Championship player, we need to look beyond just this season, if he signs a 4 year contract i quite fancy his chances at being a Premier League player and all that comes with it for a couple of those seasons.

The parachute payments mean automatically Villa have a better chance at getting back to the Premier League than teams without it.

9 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

No other offers at the time for Winnall,we sign Winnall,two clubs interested in CH at the same time so it`s a drawn out process, Villa offer silly wages,end of story,the only choice to be made is by the player and no one else,it is really that simple,I`ll keep saying it Wednesday fans are over complicating things for no other reason than we`ve bought a striker off them,

Thats wrong mate, if Barnsley don't accept our offer we don't talk personal terms with the player.

Therefore, the players only option is to sign for Villa or stay at Barnsley.

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Thats wrong mate, if Barnsley don't accept our offer we don't talk personal terms with the player.

Therefore, the players only option is to sign for Villa or stay at Barnsley.

And where have you heard they didn`t/haven`t accepted our offer? 

It just doesn`t happen of clubs accepting one offer and declining the other if they are both offering the same.

Sorry for repeating myself I have never heard/seen this happen anywhere.

But the truth will out when he signs for Villa I suppose.

5 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Wouldn't disagree mate but, given the number of midfielders we have at the club / signed over the last 18 months, one injury shouldn't mean we have to run out and buy another. 

Ok, how many have we got, Bannan, Lee, Abdi, Jones, Hutchinson, Semedo, Melo, McGugan.

Melo gone, McGugan isn't wanted. Semedo, not a first team player.

Lee injured for the rest of the season, Abdi struggling for fitness.

That leaves us with 3 options and one of those started the season at CB.

So Hutch, Jones and Bannan the only first team CMs.

With Abdi the 4th when fit.

I would argue we do need another option with Lee out long term.

Barnsley's hatred towards us is so tragic and summed up by them singing about us 'crying at wembley' - I didn't even watch their playoff final and was actually quite happy when I later found out they'd won. They're a total irrelevance to me and yet they seem to hate us with the same passion that us and pigs hate each other. Weird.