Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

6 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Barnsley fans going ape shlt about us potentially nicking him.

Reminds me of when we got Whelan and Brunt nicked off us when we were having a similar season to the one Barnsley is having.

Whelan especially got stolen from us for 500k. 

Not quite the same. 

It was the season after our good season (the one where we finished 9th under Laws) that we lost both Brunt and Whelan. 

Brunt was sold in the summer to West Brom and we lost Whelan to Stoke for 500k in the January transfer window. By that time we were fighting to stay up in the division. 

Same old for Barnsley though. 

They've always had a knack of finding some rough diamonds or bringing through decent players. Unfortunately for them anyone half decent will eventually move. They've backed themselves into a corner with Winnal and Hourinhane's contractual situation though. 

Edited by SiJ

Guest domSWFC
1 minute ago, Francksongoo said:

100% DONE DEAL ANNOUNCED TOMORROW

Want to believe you. But I think you're guessing, hoping that you may look ITK.

To all the people poo-pooing the idea of getting Hourihane, I'm about to make a very reductionist argument, but I think it kinda stands up to the test.

If you look  at our midfielders' past records, none of them get many assists. Bannan, Lee, etc never really get more than 4/5 assists a season at best. Wallace gets about half a dozen but they're normally helped with set-pieces, Abdi gets quite a few but low and behold hasn't played and god knows if he ever will. It means that the historical assist rate of players we get out on the pitch is quite low. And what happens? Very few killer balls, very few goals scored.

Hourihane has what, 12 assists this season, of which like 7/8 are from open play? 

I know this is dead simple, but at the end of the day... if we're struggling to score goals (and he on his own has more than a third of the assists as we do goals throughout the entire team) maybe we need a lad that's used to getting assists?

After all, if we signed 4 new strikers, all of whom only managed 4/5 goals a season at Champ level, we'd be thinking why on Earth are we signing strikers that have such a crap goalscoring record. So why not sign a midfielder or two that you know reliably play those killer balls. Just a thought and all that... 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

To all the people poo-pooing the idea of getting Hourihane, I'm about to make a very reductionist argument, but I think it kinda stands up to the test.

If you look  at our midfielders' past records, none of them get many assists. Bannan, Lee, etc never really get more than 4/5 assists a season at best. Wallace gets about half a dozen but they're normally helped with set-pieces, Abdi gets quite a few but low and behold hasn't played and god knows if he ever will. It means that the historical assist rate of players we get out on the pitch is quite low. And what happens? Very few killer balls, very few goals scored.

Hourihane has what, 12 assists this season, of which like 7/8 are from open play? 

I know this is dead simple, but at the end of the day... if we're struggling to score goals (and he on his own has more than a third of the assists as we do goals throughout the entire team) maybe we need a lad that's used to getting assists?

After all, if we signed 4 new strikers, all of whom only managed 4/5 goals a season at Champ level, we'd be thinking why on Earth are we signing strikers that have such a crap goalscoring record. So why not sign a midfielder or two that you know reliably play those killer balls. Just a thought and all that... 

A

B

D

I

Default Re: FFS Re. Winnall

My same mate has just been told as well not by one of our players that deal is agreed Winnall to be announced tomorrow. Could not happen just thought i'd put it out there. Hope it doesn't happen though. He is in the know though at Sheff and told me Forestieri was signing a contract a week or so before he did so make of it what you will and please don't shoot the messenger. I'm very happy to be wrong if that turns out to be the case.
Is it just me or does this not read right 

Guest domSWFC
1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

We do have a very creative player, that gets assists. 

Forestieri. If he was shifted back to the wing to make room for Winnall to partner either Fletcher or Hooper I'm sure he could provide. Maybe not even from crosses, but rebounds from his efforts. The same applies for McMannaman. 

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

A

B

D

I

Did you even read my post? I mentioned the poor guy lol

1. What's wrong with having two like that in the squad (especially as Hourihane can play attacking or holding role midfielder)

2. We're still waiting on Abdi coming good. For whatever reason it hasn't worked out here. Maybe it won't. Hope it will, but I'm getting more and more convinced it's just not gonna work and he's going to be a 31 year old on big wages that we can't shift and doesn't play. If it were down to me I'd cut our losses and reinvest his wages elsewhere.

Really, really hope he lives up to the promise and pedigree he has though and I'm proven wrong. We all know if he does as he has in the past, he'll be a monster in this division. 

Guest domSWFC
1 minute ago, ozzieowl said:

Default Re: FFS Re. Winnall

My same mate has just been told as well not by one of our players that deal is agreed Winnall to be announced tomorrow. Could not happen just thought i'd put it out there. Hope it doesn't happen though. He is in the know though at Sheff and told me Forestieri was signing a contract a week or so before he did so make of it what you will and please don't shoot the messenger. I'm very happy to be wrong if that turns out to be the case.
Is it just me or does this not read right 

This guy is right. I assure you, he will be proven true. In a few days, we'll see that Winnall has signed, or not signed just like he says. Easy to be ITK when you tell people both possible outcomes.