ron springett...did he ever play against us?

Guest bagelybear

Could have been this game....

Sat 12 Sep 70-71 QUEENS PARK RANGERS..... 1-0  14,920 Harold Wilcockson

^^^Not possible^^^

Ronald Derrick Springett, footballer: born Fulham 22 July 1935; played for Queen's Park Rangers 1953-58 and 1967-69, Sheffield Wednesday 1958-67; capped 33 times by England 1959-66; married Barbara Hillsdon (two daughters); died 12 September 2015.

Edited by bradowl

Could have been these 2 games in 68-69 season....

Sat 12 Oct Queens Park Rangers..... 2-3 19,044 Peter Eustace, Jack Whitham

Sat 14 Dec QUEENS PARK RANGERS..... 4-0 22,004 John Fantham, David Ford

Jim McCalliog, Vic Mobley

Definitely played in the game at Hillsborough. The Star made a big thing of the two brothers playing against each other and even did a colour supplement about it.

What was  Peter Springett like as a player? I don't hear much about him but he played for the club for a few years.

[/quote

Unfortunately I felt he was just an average keeper but he joined at a bad time so maybe I'm being a bit unfair.

He definitely suffered for being Rons brother. They were massive boots to fill and it was impossible to fill them.

What was Peter Springett like as a player? I don't hear much about him but he played for the club for a few years.

He didn't play many games for amount of years at club, Peter Grummitt kept him out of team most of time during early 70s.

I think it was 73-74 season when he played most of games after Grummitt had left, to Brighton I think.

He didn't play many games for amount of years at club, Peter Grummitt kept him out of team most of time during early 70s.

I think it was 73-74 season when he played most of games after Grummitt had left, to Brighton I think.

He played 80 games in his first 2 seasons!

Peter Springett was IMO a better than average keeper. The move to Wednesday was always going to be a tall order, living up to his predecessor and bro was always going to be difficult. There was a chasm between Ron, Banks and all the rest. Plus Peter was joining a side in decline. Both were excellent servants of the club.

Peter gained a special place in the hearts of most Wednesdayites as he remained in the community after his football days serving as one of SYP's finest.