Yellow Submarine / European Tour

Was listening to Yellow Submarine on my way in to work today (as you do), and started singing our early 90s European Tour version along to it (as you also do).

It then set me off thinking, how did we come up the lyrics at the time?  Did we have an older version from back in the 60s that had got Jim McCalliog, David Ford etc. in, and then it got adapted?

Does anyone remember who started it off, and where??

Just interested to know how we ended up with the version that we did :-)

Now our friends are all aboard

Jim McCalliog and David Ford

Then along came David Hirst, Roland Nilsson and Paul Warhurst

We’re all going on a European tour, European tour, European tour!

I remember first hearing it in a pub/outside a pub packed with Wednesday fans at Palace away near the ned of the 1991/1992 season. I think we took about 7,000 down that day although I stand to be corrected. I’m sure we still had a slim chance of nicking the title prior to the game and  I’m sure we drew 1-1. I seem to recall Brighty equalising for them. Happy days.

Not a song the Pigs have claimed to sing before us for a change, I wonder why!? gary megson 

Daft thing about the Palace game is that we never really thought we were going to win the title so I think despite the draw when it was announced that Arsenal (I think) hadn't won so we had got the spot we went mad.

Looking back we should have been gutted that we were so close to the title and had blown it. Probably down to the fact the Pigs were playing Leeds the next day and there was no way they would have done us a favour

Apologies for going off on a tangent but that Palace game the attendance was 21,573 and their 6th highest of the season behind games with the big London 3 Arsenal ,Spurs and Chelsea with the others against Liverpool and Man United. Their season average was 17,618 so I reckon my estimation for our following that day wasn’t far off.

We went on the ICO and didn't get there until about 2.45pm. Ruddy M25 and Croydon

Was POTG so I believe they closed the away terrace not long after we got in and there were loads of Wednesday on the home half of the terrace as  well as the seats. Won't be far off that figure

Daft thing about the Palace game is that we never really thought we were going to win the title so I think despite the draw when it was announced that Arsenal (I think) hadn't won so we had got the spot we went mad.

Looking back we should have been gutted that we were so close to the title and had blown it. Probably down to the fact the Pigs were playing Leeds the next day and there was no way they would have done us a favour

That’s pretty much how I recall it. That said when we were 1-0 up it did enter my head we could pull off something out of this world. I think everyone just thought it was Man United’s until Leeds scum nicked it off them partly because of our porcine sister and Brian Gayle’s own goal. I seem to recall a little game he was in tears at about a year later!!

Yeah, as I remember despite being in third place we we never really in serious title contention at any point in the season as Man Utd and Leeds were always so far ahead. We had an especially good run of results around Easter but even though we went to Palace with a mathematical chance of the title nobody really thought it'd happen - even if we'd won the last two games that we drew against Palace and Liverpool we'd still have been at least 3 points away.

We were just happy that in our first season back we'd had such a great year and played sparkling football, culminating in qualification for the UEFA Cup which nobody expected us to be anywhere near (you had to finish in the top 3 to qualify though the league in those days thanks to the actions of those lovable chirpy scousers at Heysel).

I remember first hearing it in a pub/outside a pub packed with Wednesday fans at Palace away near the ned of the 1991/1992 season. I think we took about 7,000 down that day although I stand to be corrected. I’m sure we still had a slim chance of nicking the title prior to the game and  I’m sure we drew 1-1. I seem to recall Brighty equalising for them. Happy days.

Not a song the Pigs have claimed to sing before us for a change, I wonder why!? gary megson 

I can remember that game and I may have been in the same pub.  I can remember the coppers telling us to stand on the pavement when outside the pub but that was damn near impossible because of the sheer volume of Wednesdayites.  One copper had an Alsatian and was getting a bit lairy with it - he backed off when one very drunk Wednesday fan threatened "I'll kick the dog's face off if you don't fvvcckk off!". 

Edited by shandypants

I seem to remember the Kop Choir singing "We all live on a blue and white Kop"

soon after the Beatles song was released.

Pretty sure it wasn't only the Hillsborough Kop that sang it though.

We used to sing " we all **** on a red and white bog", when the Beatles song was first released.

I always thought it was; "Then along came David Hirst, Danny Wilson and Paul Warhurst".

This new knowledge makes me happy!

wasn't really much of a European tour though, gary megson

You must be joking !

16 of us booked return tickets from the old Foreign Travel desk at Midland Station.

Train to Dover via London then ferry to Zeebrugge, By now about 50 of us including the late, great, Trev Collins.

Shared train to Bruges with about 20 very wary Hibs fans who were playing there.

Had 2 hours drinking with now happy Hibs lads in Bruge (8am) while waiting for connection to Luxembourg.

Arrived in Luxembourg about 1pm to be greeted by another 100 or so Wednesday in the town center.

Made our base in the "Duke Of Wellington" for 2 days then arrived back in Sheffield 10am Saturday morning to be picked up by the Gate coach going to Anfield.

Next round at Kaiserslautern almost exactly same journey.

Eat , Sleep , Drink, Repeat.

Still got the return rail tickets to Luxumbourg from Sheffield, including ferry,

£42.50 each ...........

I can remember that game and I may have been in the same pub.  I can remember the coppers telling us to stand on the pavement when outside the pub but that was damn near impossible because of the sheer volume of Wednesdayites.  One copper had an Alsatian and was getting a bit lairy with it - he backed off when one very drunk Wednesday fan threatened "I'll kick the dog's face off if you don't fvvcckk off!". 

It may well have been the same pub. It was on a corner and the last of a string of pubs along the road. As I remember loads of Wednesday fans were spilling out and onto the road. One of many great away days during that golden era for us from 90-94.

It may well have been the same pub. It was on a corner and the last of a string of pubs along the road. As I remember loads of Wednesday fans were spilling out and onto the road. One of many great away days during that golden era for us from 90-94.

Yep.  That sounds like it.  Was there a zebra crossing on the side street directly next to it? 

Yep.  That sounds like it.  Was there a zebra crossing on the side street directly next to it?

Yes mate. Good times. Everyone seemed well oiled and in party mood. I/we never realised then how badly the game would change and how bad we would become. Just glad we've seen the good times albeit having to be a certain age!

You must be joking !

16 of us booked return tickets from the old Foreign Travel desk at Midland Station.

Train to Dover via London then ferry to Zeebrugge, By now about 50 of us including the late, great, Trev Collins.

Shared train to Bruges with about 20 very wary Hibs fans who were playing there.

Had 2 hours drinking with now happy Hibs lads in Bruge (8am) while waiting for connection to Luxembourg.

Arrived in Luxembourg about 1pm to be greeted by another 100 or so Wednesday in the town center.

Made our base in the "Duke Of Wellington" for 2 days then arrived back in Sheffield 10am Saturday morning to be picked up by the Gate coach going to Anfield.

Next round at Kaiserslautern almost exactly same journey.

Eat , Sleep , Drink, Repeat.

Still got the return rail tickets to Luxumbourg from Sheffield, including ferry,

£42.50 each ...........

Remember being herded back on to the official coaches straight after the game at Spora for the journey back (how long was it on the coach?) to be taunted by Owls fans making their way back in to Luxemburg Centre singing "we're gonna get pissed, we're gonna get pissed .....you're not, you're not. ...made my own way to Germany.

From memory the first time it really got going in 1992 was during a 2-0 win at White Hart Lane, when we really started to believe it was going to happen. Can't remember if we sang it before then, even though I went to every game home and away that season.

Yep mine as well. I was in their main stand with a Spurs season ticket holder.

Wednesdayites seemed to sing it all the 2nd half - so figured it had come off one of the coaches or the IC Owl

Was also at that Spora game. I was one of the ones heading into town - that was a good night !

Yep mine as well. I was in their main stand with a Spurs season ticket holder.

Wednesdayites seemed to sing it all the 2nd half - so figured it had come off one of the coaches or the IC Owl

Was also at that Spora game. I was one of the ones heading into town - that was a good night !

Always remember being sat next to Tricky Dicky off Eastenders at that Spurs game. Whatever happened to him?