Grauniad giving us some flak!

and all done out of the kindness of his heart.

im sure he will share out his profit with us once promotion is achieved.

So we will also be covering his losses if promotion isn't achieved and we have £100M+ of debt...?

It's his capital at risk. It's his gamble. That's why it would be his profit. But also his loss.

But we would share in watching better players, play better opposition, who bring more fans, and fill the ground, and get more media coverage etc.

But we would share in watching better players, play better opposition, who bring more fans, and fill the ground, and get more media coverage etc.

Indeed. But we aren't there yet and the prices have already shot up - we are paying for a product that isn't currently on offer when instead we could save money by following derby or boro.

Indeed. But we aren't there yet and the prices have already shot up - we are paying for a product that isn't currently on offer when instead we could save money by following derby or boro.

For over 60% (at least) of any given league game attendance, the prices haven't shot up.

The casual fans can choose to pay or not pay for what is on offer.

That's one of the luxuries of being a casual fan. That's one of the reasons it does cost more, because they don't pay upfront before they have seen the product.

If the product on offer isn't worth it, or is too expensive, they won't come.

Attendances will be worse. Revenue will be worse. Atmosphere will be worse.

If anyone feels they could save money by following Derby or Boro or the Pigs or Rotherham they can choose to do that can't they...

If they think paying slightly less to watch a team they don't have any emotion for is a saving that it...

The reality is most of us aren't paying for a product, we are paying for a thrill.

Antonio scoring against Carlisle is why we all turn up. To seek that feeling of pure joy and elation. Not because we have signed someone with a big repuation for big money.

We are more likely to get that experience if we are winning.

Winning matches is the key.

Edited by nebneeb

I must have blinked when my season ticket went up - not that I consider that was excessive in the grand scheme of things.

The crux is that a modest increase along those lines would have been about right. Clearly some people would have still moaned, some might have said no more on principle and some may have liked to go and couldn't afford it any more. Its not ideal but life isn't always fair. However the levels that they have gone up by are beyond fair and reasonable.

No one has really taken up my point that given the amount of money thrown recently at the squad and facilities, a guess at how much will be spent over the season, that the extra amount that MAY be generated by the categorisation of games and the price rises (but the real risk it may go the other way revenue wise) might amount to 2.5% of that total spend (500k on £20m as a guess). Every little helps as some company once said but the negativity and badwill that has been generated over something that in the grand scheme of things is probably not a game changer in terms of overall finances just seems a strange business call.

It presumes that we will be in the top 6 AND that our fan base will pay top prices if we are

I must have blinked when my season ticket went up - not that I consider that was excessive in the grand scheme of things.

The crux is that a modest increase along those lines would have been about right. Clearly some people would have still moaned, some might have said no more on principle and some may have liked to go and couldn't afford it any more. Its not ideal but life isn't always fair. However the levels that they have gone up by are beyond fair and reasonable.

No one has really taken up my point that given the amount of money thrown recently at the squad and facilities, a guess at how much will be spent over the season, that the extra amount that MAY be generated by the categorisation of games and the price rises (but the real risk it may go the other way revenue wise) might amount to 2.5% of that total spend (500k on £20m as a guess). Every little helps as some company once said but the negativity and badwill that has been generated over something that in the grand scheme of things is probably not a game changer in terms of overall finances just seems a strange business call.

It presumes that we will be in the top 6 AND that our fan base will pay top prices if we are

good post especially the bit in bold 

it's all about the tipping point - lost count how many people saying they are having to really consider how many matches they can attend 

BTW anyone know how many boxes have actually been 'sold'  and not part of a deal?

For over 60% (at least) of any given league game attendance, the prices haven't shot up.

The casual fans can choose to pay or not pay for what is on offer.

That's one of the luxuries of being a casual fan. That's one of the reasons it does cost more, because they don't pay upfront before they have seen the product.

If the product on offer isn't worth it, or is too expensive, they won't come.

Attendances will be worse. Revenue will be worse. Atmosphere will be worse.

If anyone feels they could save money by following Derby or Boro or the Pigs or Rotherham they can choose to do that can't they...

If they think paying slightly less to watch a team they don't have any emotion for is a saving that it...

The reality is most of us aren't paying for a product, we are paying for a thrill.

Antonio scoring against Carlisle is why we all turn up. To seek that feeling of pure joy and elation. Not because we have signed someone with a big repuation for big money.

We are more likely to get that experience if we are winning.

But are the benefits DC will get worth deterring the casual fan?  Because that's what's happening.  I do turn up out for a thrill but also out of habit. The Bristol City was a great opportunity to draw people in to the new team -  all the more of a wasted opportunity given the ineptitude of the two subsequent home league games. 

But are the benefits DC will get worth deterring the casual fan?  Because that's what's happening.  I do turn up out for a thrill but also out of habit. The Bristol City was a great opportunity to draw people in to the new team -  all the more of a wasted opportunity given the ineptitude of the two subsequent home league games. 

As I said.

Hence why in our recent past we have managed to average an entire season in league 1 with a higher attendance than in the Championship.

If we don't start winning at home, and the pigs carry on their recent form, they will probably average higher than us.

Despite being in a lower division watching technically far inferior players play a poor brand of football.

So if we don't start winning, then the fans won't come, and therefore won't be paying more money, and DC will be hit in his pocket.

As I said.

Hence why in our recent past we have managed to average an entire season in league 1 with a higher attendance than in the Championship.

If we don't start winning at home, and the pigs carry on their recent form, they will probably average higher than us.

Despite being in a lower division watching technically far inferior players play a poor brand of football.

So if we don't start winning, then the fans won't come, and therefore won't be paying more money, and DC will be hit in his pocket.

But these early attendances haven't been about winning matches - the pigs got tonked in their first game.  With the added optimism we could have got a much bigger crowd against Bristol City - imo of course - but we blew that chance and created a shedload of negative publicity in the process.  But I recognise we're going round in circles on this. 

Edited by rickygoo

there can be no argument football is an expensive and probably corrupt rip off, that said I love it. Sadly too many people act like turkeys voting for  Xmas. But then again we have a Tory government so no surprise that most football fans could not give a fig about anyone else.

I am looking forward to the banners welcoming refugees at Hillsborough, to follow the German fans lead, find it hard to believe it will happen though.

Up the Owls.

Should there be an A* game announced at all this season then an adult ticket on the south stand will be £52.

UTO

FTB

If indeed this is reserved for a play off game, should we ever make it, then the club would be in for a big shock

Season ticket holders would have to pay for their own seat, probably less the members discount but with all games televised and quite possibly midweek, we could be rivalling our neighbours embarassing 15k turnout

Let's hope we get to debate this in May

Guest Deleted member

Guys

Seriously

Fvckoff now

You line up to make every post I make a personal one. It's not just you

You all go on about me, I'm engaging in a discussion about the topic. Stop waiting for me to post them discuss me and not what's posted.

It's boring. You're boring. As are your acolytes.