Are we really All Wednesday ?

Guest rubydubydoo

I haven't heard it at any of the home games.

Has already been mentioned over the weekend, but 1 guy walked across the middle of the Kop in the middle of the game, windmilling about, shouting Stuart Gray's Barmy Army.

I think his carer managed to calm him down eventually and was heard in hushed tones saying "Stuarts gone luv, it's that new foreign chap now" 

The only problem on here is when people ignore a post and categorise it as;

1. Positive

2. Negative

Just discuss the chuffing post, I get it all the time and have done for years.

It's so boring to read posts that accuse people of how they feel over the content.

Quote a post, discuss what it says, ignore the username, ignore previous posts.

Jeez.

The only problem on here is when people ignore a post and categorise it as;

1. Positive

2. Negative

Just discuss the chuffing post, I get it all the time and have done for years.

It's so boring to read posts that accuse people of how they feel over the content.

Quote a post, discuss what it says, ignore the username, ignore previous posts.

Jeez.

Typical Tas slagging off genuine fans.

Football has changed massively since the summer of 1993 when we were being touted as title contenders and in the current era, Chansiri simply isn't rich enough to put us in that bracket, but Football will change again. We don't know when or how. We don't know if it will turn in our favour or completely against it, but it will change eventually, so I still allow myself a little dream now and again.

I think many of our fans don't yet realise just how lucky we could end up being with our new owner. Through his family I believe that we will eventually have the ability to compete at the very top of the game again, including in Europe.

When you look at the people currently sponsoring the major clubs, most of them are for once in a rare occasion purchases (i.e. Samsung, Emirates, Etihad etc. etc.). We on the other hand have (potentially) a company who dominates a sector of the market worldwide in an everyday staple (canned fish). TUF own all of the leading brands in the US, Europe & Asia.

Is it purely an accident that the son of the owner has chosen to take Wednesday on as his pet project? I very much doubt it especially when you consider that the owner of Reading is also very heavily connected to TUF. I think the purchase of the two clubs is a strategic move by TUF to create global everyday advertising and brand awareness for their products, through the exposure that owning a Premier League (especially a successful one) will give them. Let's face it, it is very cheap advertising on a global scale. Anyone can buy a tin of fish, every week, not everyone can afford expensive electrical products and airline tickets and even if they can it is a once in a blue moon purchase.

The trick is to make sure that we are the club that gets promoted first and not Reading because I genuinely believe that whichever of the two makes it to the Premier League first is going to be the beneficiary of a huge sponsorship deal.

I am a huge fan of the investment DC has made in our club but I am not a fan of Gray being replaced by this committee and Carlos.  I was not expecting fantasy football but I did not expect the team to be outplayed and dominated for large parts of 4 games on the bounce now.  We always seem to be on the back foot in our own half, have no discernible style of play with little movement and some of the new signings do not look like top championship players and disappear from large parts of the game.  Fans have every right to voice their concerns at what they are seeing with their own eyes but we still support our team, just some of us aren't cooing at every pass back as if it's masterful coaching coz it ain't! Every football team at every level has to win the physical battle first before they can play football and am not sure if CC is up to speed with how difficult this is to achieve in the Championship or if we have the players with the power and pace required.  I hope for all our sakes some of the newer arrivals and changes to formation and style of play quickly bear fruit for all our sakes UTO!

Frustrated as I am with the chronic failure to sign a decent striker to replace David Hirst, the start of this season has perhaps indicated that the top table in England is not as settled as it has been. The Prem is so rich that excellent teams can be put together creaming the best talent from around the world. Seems like two minutes ago we were playing Palace to stay in the Champ. We had centre forwards stubbing their toes on hoardings and their midfield general was Sean Derry. Now we have a centre forward as big as a hoarding and they have Yohan Cabaye.

Things might be changing - they just beat Chelsea with something to spare, Stoke have signed Shaquiri ... Liverpool look lost ... Man U ... Relying on an ageing Rooney and an untried teenager?

If there's frustration in the ether it's partly driven by an anxiety that we know we've got to get there ASAP. In that context the failure to sign a striker was dispiriting - a proper goal scorer (Gayle?) in the loan window would REALLY help.

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

Would TUF be prepared to just throw money at it to get us into that top bracket? I don't think so, they'd want a return on their cash.

The difference with the Man City and Chelsea owners is that they've got more money than they know what to do with so are playing with football clubs - they don't make a profit on their investment even if they win the title every year.

pretty certain that the chansiri's personal wealth between them makes old roman at chelsea look poor in comparison

You realise we aren't all "wednesday" when you see the behaviour of some at home/away games.

After the Mansfield cup game saw a lad on his own who looked quite 'alternative' in a new Wednesday home shirt get attacked by some fellow Wednesday fans decked out in 'casual' clobber on the tramlines heading to hillsborough. Totally unprovoked and nasty,

but hey "all Wednesday aren't we"

I don't think so

Guest Distraught!

Is it purely an accident that the son of the owner has chosen to take Wednesday on as his pet project? I very much doubt it especially when you consider that the owner of Reading is also very heavily connected to TUF. I think the purchase of the two clubs is a strategic move by TUF to create global everyday advertising and brand awareness for their products, through the exposure that owning a Premier League (especially a successful one) will give them. Let's face it, it is very cheap advertising on a global scale. Anyone can buy a tin of fish, every week, not everyone can afford expensive electrical products and airline tickets and even if they can it is a once in a blue moon purchase.

It is little more than semantics but, technically speaking, the Chansiri family do not own TUF. Dejphon Chansiri's father is the founder of the company and current president. Another member of the Chansiri family is currently chairman of the board. Collectively, the family own the largest proportion of equity in the company but, since the mid nineties, the TUF Group has been a PLC. As a public company, the executive board must follow certain corporate rules. Spending can be made on commercial deals such as sponsorship, advertising, purchase of corporate hospitality etc., but the PLC Board have a responsibility to the company shareholders. Any money used for commercial activity must add value to the business in one way or another and have potential for a return on the capital.

The Chansiri family cannot throw untold millions into an unrelated business like a football club without firstly obtaining executive board and then shareholder approval. It is for that reason, TUF put out the statement distancing themselves from the purchase of SWFC. It was to reassure the shareholders and the market that company funds was not being used to acquire equity in a loss making business with no connection to the core activities of TUF. Nowhere in that statement was it implied that TUF would not enter into any commercial agreement with SWFC either now or in the future.

I have read in certain trade publications the corporate mission of TUF and Thai Union Frozen Foods Group. It is in the frozen sector that the group is looking for aggressive expansion. The canned food and ambient side of the business already dominate the market. The frozen food sector is where the company see potential growth strategy. The executive board recognize to achieve their goal of being ranked alongside the leading global MNC's in food manufacturing and processing, they need to raise TUF and the Chansiri profile.

One thing that owning football clubs certainly does is raise the public profile of the people involved and the companies that they represent. Abramovich for example is extremely successful in the business world but will always be better known as the Chelsea FC owner. The Chansiri family will achieve prominence as owners of Reading and SWFC, not as successful business people. I strongly believe that is why Chansiri bought into football. I do not believe DC bought SWFC as a standalone investment but as a vehicle to raise the profile of both the Chansiri family and the TUF Group.

Global advertising and exposure will add immense value to TUF and other Chansiri business interests. The value that can be gotten from commercial activities in football will dwarf any direct return Chansiri makes for future sale of the club. If Wednesday reach the Premier League, TUF will benefit and the Chansiri family collectively will gain through an exponential rise in the value of their corporate shares. 

I love my club

I love match days with a passion

Going with my kids and meeting up with friends who we met at football and have become firm family friends outside of our football relationship.

I've followed Wednesday for years , Eric Potts was the first player I can remember

and I've had the pleasure of watching real Wednesday legends , Sterland, Hirst , Neilson, Sheridan etc..

I've followed us home and away and  had the horror of travelling to Gillingham for a Tuesday night fixture only for it to be called off.

I've watched some real poor stuff but on the flip side I've watched us lift a cup and witnessed promotion whilst with my son.

I don't think we have ever been in a better position than we are currently , had you have a drawn a wish list of everything you wanted from a chairman I cant see you getting a better man than DC.

We have really landed on our feet here and I have no doubt that his medium and long term vision for the club are as exciting as his current short term plans.

I feel we have probably the best squad on a player for player basis in the championship and a coach who is as knowledgeable as he is charismatic and approachable.

When this team gels as it surely will , we will be genuine contenders and a real force to be reckoned with .

The point of this thread is why oh why do we seem to have so many idiotic supporters posting pathetic, rude and offensive views on various social media platforms?

Some of the venomous nasty comments directed at our own players , managers and board make my blood boil, my heart sink and  genuinely weep for the real fans of this wonderful club.

So the next time you read one of these stupid comments from fans who seem to believe we are playing a game of FIFA 15 ( or what ever it is )

Remind them that we are all meant to be Wednesday and if you cant put across a valid alternative  point without being abusive , please do us all a favour and go and watch someone else.

I agree with what you're saying but mate don't waste your breath...it's been this way forever & imo has nowt to do with football, it's just society, it takes all kinds, unfortunately when groups, crowds, mobs get together the idiots come to the fore & start performing...I've followed Wednesday up & down England for years & some of the things I've seen our so called fans do has disgusted me immensely, it bothered me for years until I realised that's just the way it is, people will be people & it's not always good to witness...it's not just Wednesday it's all clubs, although some might claim otherwise...pointless trying to change the idiots, they love the attention.

It is little more than semantics but, technically speaking, the Chansiri family do not own TUF. Dejphon Chansiri's father is the founder of the company and current president. Another member of the Chansiri family is currently chairman of the board. Collectively, the family own the largest proportion of equity in the company but, since the mid nineties, the TUF Group has been a PLC. As a public company, the executive board must follow certain corporate rules. Spending can be made on commercial deals such as sponsorship, advertising, purchase of corporate hospitality etc., but the PLC Board have a responsibility to the company shareholders. Any money used for commercial activity must add value to the business in one way or another and have potential for a return on the capital.

The Chansiri family cannot throw untold millions into an unrelated business like a football club without firstly obtaining executive board and then shareholder approval. It is for that reason, TUF put out the statement distancing themselves from the purchase of SWFC. It was to reassure the shareholders and the market that company funds was not being used to acquire equity in a loss making business with no connection to the core activities of TUF. Nowhere in that statement was it implied that TUF would not enter into any commercial agreement with SWFC either now or in the future.

I have read in certain trade publications the corporate mission of TUF and Thai Union Frozen Foods Group. It is in the frozen sector that the group is looking for aggressive expansion. The canned food and ambient side of the business already dominate the market. The frozen food sector is where the company see potential growth strategy. The executive board recognize to achieve their goal of being ranked alongside the leading global MNC's in food manufacturing and processing, they need to raise TUF and the Chansiri profile.

One thing that owning football clubs certainly does is raise the public profile of the people involved and the companies that they represent. Abramovich for example is extremely successful in the business world but will always be better known as the Chelsea FC owner. The Chansiri family will achieve prominence as owners of Reading and SWFC, not as successful business people. I strongly believe that is why Chansiri bought into football. I do not believe DC bought SWFC as a standalone investment but as a vehicle to raise the profile of both the Chansiri family and the TUF Group.

Global advertising and exposure will add immense value to TUF and other Chansiri business interests. The value that can be gotten from commercial activities in football will dwarf any direct return Chansiri makes for future sale of the club. If Wednesday reach the Premier League, TUF will benefit and the Chansiri family collectively will gain through an exponential rise in the value of their corporate shares. 

That is the point, the global advertising of the business takes care of itself if they own a Premier League football club because their brand name is being beamed into pretty much every home on the planet with a TV set. It is a very cheap form of advertising. In order however for us to benefit from that we have to get to the Premier League first and at that point I believe TUF will come in in a big way, provided Reading don't beat us to it!

Guest Distraught!

That is the point, the global advertising of the business takes care of itself if they own a Premier League football club because their brand name is being beamed into pretty much every home on the planet with a TV set. It is a very cheap form of advertising. In order however for us to benefit from that we have to get to the Premier League first and at that point I believe TUF will come in in a big way, provided Reading don't beat us to it!

Yes, I was agreeing with the main thrust of your argument and adding my own tuppence worth to it.

The argument for TUF to enter into such corporate agreements is palpable.