Come back Gary Megson

Guest Distraught!

Megson won't ever manage again imo. I think he is viewed as damaged goods

And a dinosaur - yesterday's man with yesterday's ideas.

:laugh:

Can people stop saying irony to everything I bloody post?

I am but a humble, honest, friendly poster  :biggrin:

No, how can you possibly bring up that game in your pro megson bummedgry??

Megson had a slightly better record than Gray, in L1 with loads of backing. End of thread.

Facts from Bury away.

Reda played CB.

As meggo said it was like pass the parcel with a bomb.

Never played him there again, but turned him into one of the best attacking left backs for years and one of our highest scorers.

Ryan Lowe ripped us a new bottom hole.

Meggo signed him.

He did pretty well for us.

Yep, crap manager.

gary megson is never going to manage at Hillsborough again whilst Milan is chairman.

His sacking at the time was harsh - although debatable - and people still complain that we ended up with a manager that got us promoted, which is bizarre.

Who knows where we might have ended up if Megson had stayed on as manager that season - still in League One - worse off than the Blades - or maybe even promoted and knocking on the door of the Premiership.

All opinions about the past and does nothing to change the present - unless we hit the bottom 3, SG will be here to stay and can only play the hand he has - can anyone do any better? again another debate.

I think Gray has done a good job.

The squad is threadbare and cheap as chips, and we are 13th, probably should be 18th best.

Wtf is Megson gonna do? And where do you stop...... Maybe we can bring back Reda.... And Lowe..... And Rob Jones, and maybe we can play Rochdale instead of Norwich...... Then I guess I admit we would get a home win again.

Gray deserves so much more credit.

Wish we could get Tony Pulis.

I know a lot of people are fed up and bored of the negative football of Megson, Jones and Gray

but done the right way it gets results. Look at some of our most successful managers.

Jack Charlton and Sgt Wilko were well known for their defensive negative football but they got results.

Pulis gets results throughout his managerial career playing mostly defensive football, whilst just like Charlton and Wilko's teams they have a more attacking threat to them than Gray's team.

I feel sorry for Gray. He was no-one's first choice but in the end he earned the job and MM had to give him the job despite being more of a coach than a manager.

But despite the upturn in our fortunes and keeping us up, Gray will always be fighting an uphill task just to keep us in the division whilst not being backed enough for his efforts.

The time to have backed Gray was whilst we made a decent start in the first 8 or so games and since then, yet again our paper thin squad as been found out and needs more loanees to cover up the cracks, It's a seemingly endless cycle we're stuck in of poor runs and good runs, with loanees and freebies covering up the cracks, with eventually the manager paying the price for the lack of backing from MM and because of the lack of quality and depth in our squad. Whoever comes in will have the same problems that Gray faces. They might be able to bring in better loanees if they are a more well known face. If they turn around our fortunes again and get us playing with spirit and pride and no fear like Megson, Jones and Gray all did briefly before they got found out and faced the same problems any manager will face who comes into our club in the modern era whilst we pay the price of mismanagement in the past and a lack of investment from the current establishment. We will be stuck in the same rut until some proper investment comes in or we get lucky and bring in an experienced manager or director of football but whoever we have in charge they need to be backed and not just with desperate loanees and freebies. Gray it seems is on a hiding to nothing and will be the fall guy many of us thought he would be when he was given the job, despite that he's done well under difficult constraints but he needs more backing from MM or he needs a director of football or someone experienced to come in and deal with the transfers and managerial side of things so that Gray can do what he's good at coaching the team, working with the squad we've got and maintaining the team spirit that we seemed to have during his caretaker reign and first few months of his reign and during the first 8 or so games of this season.

It's highly unlikely we will be able to get someone like Pulis who would be ideal for us. But hopefully we can get someone experienced in either as director of football or to relieve Gray of his managerial responsibilities either as a replacement or keeping Gray on as a coach. But until we get fresh investment from MM or a new owner whoever comes in will face the same issues and will need a lot of luck and a lot more backing to carry on the initial honeymoon period and turn us from a lower half or bottom six team with a bottom six budget into a more competitive top half side. But until MM stops ambling along just doing enough to keep us up on the cheap we will continue to be nothing but a lower half bottom six side just trying to stay up by the skin of our teeth that will eventually fall foul of the cheap way and slide back into the lower leagues. The reality of modern day football is that it takes a heck of a lot of money just to compete even at this level.

Gray has done a good job with the resources. Megson did too. Jones did a good job in the promotion season too. Megson might have got unlucky in that he didn't get the benefits of Antonio who he brought in nor being able to build on the Derby victory. Who can be sure though?

I want Gray to continue and ideally bring in a couple of quality loanees to spark things up again. I think it would be folly to ditch him but if it happened I think we could do worse than get Megson back on a short term deal and see how it rolls. Managers with good pedigree will not be queuing up for the job.

Bottom line for me though is that Gray is still the best man for the job. Time will tell.

Guest Distraught!

A Rob Jones itype player is just the sort of captain we need on the pitch right now.

Loovens isn't a leader, Jones was...!

But Loovens is an infinitely better centre back.

If leadership was enough, we should have just kept Martin Taylor.

But Loovens is an infinitely better centre back.If leadership was enough, we should have just kept Martin Taylor.

Undeniably true in respect of Loovens/Jones.

I do agree though that we would benefit from a true leader at this moment in time. Quite a few of our players seem to have lost their way and perhaps some of this is down to mindset.

Edited by Dagmeister

Guest Distraught!

Undeniably true in respect of Loovens/Jones.

I do agree though that we would benefit from a true leader at this moment in time. Quite a few of our players seem to have lost their way and perhaps some of this is down to mindset.

Yep, I don't deny that in the least.

Hutchinson is badly missed not only for his ability but also his leadership skills.

Absolutely no way that I would swap Jones for either of the current CB's though - leadership or no leadership.

I just don't think anybody would be able to get as many points with this squad as Gray.

You could bring in Pulis, he'll still need to spend a lot of money buying players to fit his style and would most likely finish aroubd where we are now.

Gray is going nowhere.

A Rob Jones itype player is just the sort of captain we need on the pitch right now.

Loovens isn't a leader, Jones was...!

Does it not concern you that clubs in the bottom of the league we are in are interested in R Jones or gary megson?

I like Jones, he was great. I was annoyed when we sold him... but he's never been going to a top half championship side.

Neither is Megson.... I don't see where we would improve... all Megson wouod do is destroy our away form and have us shipping goals as we soak up pressure against teams with way more fire power than us that are contending for the pl.

You're letting a few games against teams with big budgets and a dull 0-0 derby cloud your judgement. We are 13th!